Computer Help

Rant

more than 1000 pictures disappear from dvd+rw disk, help!

by gabcarol8 / December 16, 2012 6:12 AM PST

So I put a blank DVD+RW disk in my computer and formatted it. I dragged more than 1000 pictures (not all at once though) from my computer and dropped them onto the cd. They all showed up fine. I deleted all the pictures off my computer, then emptied the trash bin. The pictures still showed up on the DVD. Then a day later I took the DVD out of my computer and reinserted it. Suddenly it was asking me to rename the disk (which I unwisely did, with the same name as before) and it showed me a blank disk with no files. What went wrong with the disk? Thank you in advance Sad

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: more than 1000 pictures disappear from dvd+rw disk, help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: more than 1000 pictures disappear from dvd+rw disk, help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: DVD
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 6:22 AM PST

We strongly discourage use of so called packet writing software to use a DVD as kind of a gigantic floppy or smallish USB-stick. Those are unreliable, as you see. That's all that can be said about it, since you didn't tell what program you used to write to that DVD, nor anything about your OS (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8?).

And a more general remark. If you have an original and you make a (backup) copy of it, you have 2 copies. If you delete the original, you've only got one copy and no backup. Then if something goes wrong, it's gone. That's why we strongly encourage members to make a backup, and preferably more than one, of everything they don't want to loose.
Some of our members learn that too late.

It could be the disk isn't 'closed' yet. In that case, it might help to close it now. If not, contact drivesavers.com and ask them if they can recover your pictures and how much it will cost. Most likely, much more expensive than a backup would have been.

Kees

Collapse -
School of hard knocks is a good teacher but
by wpgwpg / December 16, 2012 6:30 AM PST

it's a painful one. As Kees points out, too many people learn too late. It's a shame to see so many people having to learn this way, I just hope that I'll see the day when this becomes common knowledge. When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.
CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at
http://download.cnet.com/windows/backup-software/?tag=contentBody;sideBar .

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).
-
Good luck.

Collapse -
Again. You are today's poster child warning others.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2012 7:08 AM PST

I'm unsure how many times we've told folk to stop using that system. We also write "we only lose what we don't backup."

Given the dollar each of those discs can cost, if it was worth saving, where is the backup?
Bob

Collapse -
Try Recuva
by glb613 / December 16, 2012 8:35 PM PST

and see if it can see the photos on the CD-RW or your hard drive. There is a free download through CNet. I used the program to recovery photos from a memory card and got all but the 2 that were corrupted.

Collapse -
Oh well
by gabcarol8 / December 17, 2012 12:47 PM PST

Thank you all for your answers...guess I won't be using dvds to save files anymore.

Collapse -
I was able to recover
by gabcarol8 / December 17, 2012 4:31 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.