Peripherals forum

General discussion

Monitor won't turn off although set to do so

by Lelin / June 1, 2006 7:58 AM PDT

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 and I have a ViewSonic monitor, VP181b. I'm happy with the monitor and my computer is running beautifully, in general. However, in the last couple of months, although the Screen Saver function is working properly, the monitor won't turn off. I set the power function to turn off the monitor after some period of time (I've tried various settings), but it never turns off. Can anyone suggest a reason for this problem or, better yet, a fix?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor won't turn off although set to do so
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor won't turn off although set to do so
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by NickMets7 / June 3, 2006 12:15 PM PDT

Are you telling me you want the monitor to actually Power off? This is impossible. The monitior can only go into a "power-saver" mode. And you are not running any active programs such as streaming video? Or maybe you're just moving the mouse Happy

- Nick

Collapse -
Monitor won't power down
by Lelin / June 4, 2006 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Specifically...

Thanks for the response, Nick. No, I don't mean for the monitor to power off but rather to power down after a set period. I'm referring to the window you get when you click on "Display" in the Control Panel, or by right clicking on the active desktop and clicking on "Properties." Selecting the "Screen Saver" tab opens the window where you can select a screen saver, and lower down where by clicking on "Power" you can select options relating to powering down the monitor or the whole system. Until recently this has always worked for me; now (I'm referring to the monitor power-down) it does not. No streaming video, no hand on mouse, etc. I'm referring to when I walk away from the computer and leave it for minutes, hours, overnight, or whatever.

Collapse -
by NickMets7 / June 4, 2006 9:02 AM PDT

Sounds like a really strange problem. In the POWER settings that you mentioned before, you can try choosing another "Power Scheme" (doesn't matter which, as long as it's not "Alaways On" or something like that) and then adjust the different settings to your liking, and click APPLY or SAVE AS if you want this to be a new power scheme.

- Nick

Collapse -
by petersendidit / July 19, 2006 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok

Did you ever get this resolved? If so what did you do to get it to work again? I have been having the same problem for the last few months. Working fine before and then up and stopped working.

Collapse -
Monitor won't power down
by Lelin / July 19, 2006 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Solution

Well, it is sort of solved. I have quit using a screen saver (setting "None"), and after that the monitor will usually power down after the amount of time I set it for. But then, mysteriously, sometimes it pops back to life at odd times. I assume that some invisible program is kicking off and thereby activating the monitor. I've decided that since screen burn isn't a problem with modern displays I'll just ignore the problem. But if you get a solution by abandoning the screen saver, or any other way, I'd like to see it. BTW, NickMets7 had a suggestion that might be a solution.

Collapse -
Norton's LiveUpdate caused this problem on my computer
by dccomet / April 17, 2008 3:30 AM PDT

Our problem with the monitor not shutting off started after we uninstalled Norton but failed to uninstall LiveUpdate. We also couldn't get the system to hibernate after x minutes. Finally figured out LiveUpdate was interfering with monitor shutoff and hibernate. Uninstalling it took care of the problem.

Collapse -
by RandyShattuckInc / May 7, 2008 11:49 AM PDT

I recently had a similar problem after reinstalling windows. I couldn't get the monitor to "shut off" so to speak. It didn't matter what settings I used either.

It ended up being the Microsoft USB mouse and keyboard drivers. I have wireless of both and after installing the drivers all worked fine.

My suggestion, based on experience, would be to check anything USB and make sure all the drivers are installed properly. I no longer have any issues and read something about someone else on another forum having the same thing related to USB.

Good luck !!!

Collapse -
USB sound card
by Sami_nasri / February 12, 2013 3:58 AM PST
In reply to: USB

Actually I had the same problem for a couple of days and the thing is the monitor's power button is jammed-thanks to dear brother-and I couldn't turn off the monitor except with the windows' "turn display off" option but I recently bought a USB sound card that messed up the thing,so I got another one and it's perfect now.thanks

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.