Computer Help forum

Question

Monitor Issue

by CapitanJuan / November 13, 2012 10:13 AM PST

My computer froze, was unresponsive, I restarted, the monitor displayed everything fine, I saw and selected "start windows normally", after the "starting windows screen" the monitor displayed "no signal" and went black. I could hear the start-up tune in the speakers and the monitor worked fine up until it started up. I am currently in safe-mode with networking and the monitor works fine. I am not at all computer-savvy so please give me any ideas what might be going on right now. Any and all ideas or suggestions of what I should do are welcome.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What is it? (make, model, age, a little more?)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: Monitor Issue

There are times I'd call that a video card failure but I have so little machine details, it's just a guess.
Bob

Collapse -
Info
by CapitanJuan / November 13, 2012 10:26 AM PST

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/13/2012, 21:20:40
Machine name: JOHN-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/16/12 09:49:27 Ver: 04.06
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8148MB RAM
Page File: 1057MB used, 15235MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode
DxDiag Previously: Crashed in DirectShow (stage 1). Re-running DxDiag with "dontskip" command line parameter or choosing not to bypass information gathering when prompted might result in DxDiag successfully obtaining this information

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: This computer cannot play audio because the Windows Audio service is not enabled. Use the Sounds and Devices Properties control panel to enable audio. No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.
Input Tab: No problems found.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

****I've had this video card for several months now, no problems
** Is there any other useful information I can provide?

Collapse -
Still light on make and model however
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 11:05 AM PST
In reply to: Info

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 would draw a fair amount of power and produce a lot of heat. Did the maker fit a HUGE PSU?
Bob

Collapse -
PSU
by pgc3 / November 13, 2012 11:20 PM PST

Yeah Bob, didn't see PSU parameters in list and since evidently it hums along OK in safe mode I am thinking as you alluded to, might be whimpy PSU.

Collapse -
The confuser for many is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2012 11:23 PM PST
In reply to: PSU

What I find some get confused over is "it worked before." When it comes to power supplies, they degrade over time and pushing them accelerates the issue.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.