Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Monitor is in power save mode-won't boot up

by gtdavid / May 26, 2006 2:50 AM PDT

Windows 98 SE.SONY TRINITRON MONITOR.Turn on computer but all that happens is a box comes up and says monitor is in power save mode.How do I get it back to regular mode.Power button on the computer won't work either.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor is in power save mode-won't boot up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor is in power save mode-won't boot up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, duh. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 26, 2006 9:56 AM PDT

If the PC won't come on, then the monitor won't come on. The monitor power up is signaled from the PC video drivers.

I don't want to be tacky, but how about telling us something about the PC. Have you been messing with it? Has it ever worked? When did it stop working? Has it been dropped? Did you kick it? Just kidding, but it's hard to diagnose a problem when the information is only, "Computer won't work".

Collapse -
What CoryDuh said was...
by reefurbb / May 27, 2006 8:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, duh. . .

It's the same as unplugging the video cable from the PC, power save with no video.
1. ATX power supplies are designed to not fire up if there is something wrong with PC.
2. Open the PC and unplug everything except the processor and ram. If you have 2 or more ram sticks, try 1 at a time. If the PC now boots and you get BIOS video, then something you unpluged is bad enough to prevent boot.
3. If that doesn't work, the 4 choices are: bad power supply; bad processor; bad ram; bad motherboard. Take out all RAM and try boot. You should get a series of beeps telling you you have a ram problem.

Collapse -
Power on box comes up and says monitor is in power save mode
by krystaal / May 24, 2011 2:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Well, duh. . .

gtdavid you did say you turned the computer on and a box came up on the monitor saying box comes up and says monitor is in power save mode.

I am experiencing the same after trying 2 monitors so i ordered a new pci nvidia geforce card. Try another monitor first.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Win98SE shutdown supplement (Hint; GOOGLE!)
by robnan / October 4, 2006 10:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
Power Save Mode
by igrady / June 20, 2007 2:35 AM PDT

I have windows 98, I can't get anything but a message that says, "Information
Monitor is in power save mode"

When I turn my computer on the "Num Lock" button on my keyboard starts blinking in a green color without stopping. A message then shows up on the monitor that says: INFORMATION, the monitor is in power save mode. It then goes black and the Num Lock button is yet blinking.

What do I do? I have windows 98

Thanks for your help!
Isabella Grady - 404-252-4666

Collapse -
monitor on power save mode
by jamesg19 / January 17, 2008 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: Power Save Mode

i need to know how i can get my monitor out of save power mode i move my desk around so i had to disconnect everything when i hook it all back up that when the mpnitor problem started i have windows xp os

Collapse -
Suggestions.
by Kees Bakker / January 18, 2008 3:54 AM PST

1. Try the monitor on another PC.
2. Try another monitor on this PC.
3. Repost (with your findings and details on the monitor) on the XP forum or the Peripherals forum. The Windows 98 forum isn't the right place for this.

Kees

Collapse -
my monitor works when hooked up to my laptop but not to PC
by fergie67 / March 27, 2008 11:40 PM PDT

Help, what can I do if the monitor works when hooked up to my lap top but when hooked up to my pc it says the monitor is in power saving mode. I have used this pc and monitor together and one day it just didnt work and had that message, I tried to disconnect and reconnect everything, but didn't matter, then I did just try the monitor to my lap top and it did work. So I am thinking its with the PC? but I don't have a clue on what to do or check with that? can you please help with some steps or ideas to try, I would appreciate it greatly...

Collapse -
Re: monitor works on laptop, not on PC
by Kees Bakker / March 27, 2008 11:56 PM PDT

If the monitor works on your laptop, it's not a monitor problem. So your conclusion that it's a PC problems seems reasonable. To check that, try another monitor (any monitor will do).

Then head to the shop to buy (another) videocard. Be sure it's compatible with your (presumably) old hardware and there is a Windows 98 driver available. This might be difficult, if not impossible, with the current cards. Then your choice is either a second hand compatible card or another PC, I'm afraid.

Kees

Collapse -
Is your computer stuck with power save mode problem?
by Vowani / December 6, 2008 7:48 PM PST

It most likely is not the monitor which is in "power save mode", it is the computer itself.

When you cannot get a computer out of "power save mode" by any other means, typically the cause is that the button-cell-type battery of your computer, which is located on the motherboard, is empty.

Usually, this happens on a computer which is a few years old, since its batteries will have run out after such a long time. (The motherboard battery is used to store various settings when the computer power is off, such as date and time. When your computer detects this battery is empty, it goes into a low-power mode).

The solution is to replace the button-cell battery on the motherboard of your computer:

- open the case of your computer;
- visually locate the motherboard (the main electronic circuit board) of your computer;
- visually scan the motherboard for a button-cell battery (it looks like a digital watch battery, but a bit larger);
- remove this motherboard battery from your computer;
- restart your computer: it should now power up normally (you may get some warning messages during the start-up sequence, but ignore them);
- set the date and time of your computer using the "Date and Time" control panel;
- you can now use your computer normally, but you will lose date and time settings when you disconnect the computer power cord, since there is no motherboard battery present to store them;
- take the motherboard battery to an electronics store and get a replacement;
install the new battery in your computer;
- restart your computer, and set the date and time again; the settings will now be saved using motherboard battery power.

Collapse -
Windows XP
by mesgs / January 21, 2009 2:26 AM PST

My sister's computer shuts down as soon as it powers up. Could it be the same battery problem....perhaps it goes into the powersave mode.

My XP has gone into the powersave mode three times and won't come back on when I move the mouse etc. I have to disconnect the power and then the power is off. Then I can power on and continue. What could be making it go into powersave mode (my little green light on the tower goes to yellow not green).

Collapse -
These seem to be to problems ...
by Kees Bakker / January 21, 2009 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Windows XP

both about XP. It's unlikely you'll get any answers in the Windows 98 forum!

Kees

Collapse -
monitor power save mode
by EmBrac777 / April 18, 2010 10:34 AM PDT

windows xp erverx compputer: tried other monitor with my computer screen did not load. got new monitor hookup cord still nothing hook up old trashed computer to my monitor and it did load. so at this point I know my monitor is ok. so I did take battrie out but when I did my computer would not stay on... so do u no anything els I can try befor I give up and just take it to the computer DOC... Signed going nuts...

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2010 11:02 AM PDT

You may want to post in the XP forum.

Collapse -
I got it to work
by sebastiankonradlaski / April 24, 2012 1:03 PM PDT

I got it, thanks MXR

Sebastian Konrad Laski

Collapse -
POWER SAVE MODE
by RDLEIN / March 27, 2009 9:27 AM PDT

GATEWAY XP HOME ADDITTION

WOUN'T BOOT UP AFTER COMPUTER WENT INTO POWER SAVE MODE.

Collapse -
(NT) See post #12 and #14 above.
by Kees Bakker / April 21, 2010 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: POWER SAVE MODE
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.