Computer Help

General discussion

Monitor in Power Save Mode

by jcumber / September 20, 2005 8:28 AM PDT

I can not turn on my monitor. It gives a message that it is in power save mode and to activate with PC.Green indicator light is blinking. The screen is black (except for message box). How can I activate with PC? Running Windows XP Pro.Thanks
Jane

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor in Power Save Mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor in Power Save Mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your video drivers. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 20, 2005 9:33 AM PDT

activate the monitor. Is the cable plugged into the video port?

Unplug the monitor from the AC power. Power off the PC. Plug the monitor back in and press the power button. Power up the PC. If the monitor does not come on with the PC, check the connections and your video drivers.

Collapse -
Jane, Have You Tried???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 20, 2005 9:58 AM PDT

...simply swapping in a known "good" monitor to see if it's the monitor causing the issue? It's an easy test to borrow someone's monitor a check to see if the issue still happens.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
What is your PC and Monitor
by jimdad / September 20, 2005 11:11 AM PDT

I've gone through a similar problem with a Dell Dim 8100 with the Sony P993 monitor. It still acts up. The P993 was sent to replace the P991 that also had the problem.

Its been a crap shoot starting the PC and getting the monitor to come up the first time. I often go through multiple restarts/ hard shut-off starts to get there.

Collapse -
Monitor in Power Save Mode
by jcumber / September 21, 2005 12:19 AM PDT

Problem Solved. Thank you all for your help.
Jane

Collapse -
Jane, What Cured The Problem?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 21, 2005 1:48 AM PDT

It always helps the other members if you outline exactly how the issue was fixed.

Thanks.

Grif

Collapse -
Problem with computer stuck in "power save mode"
by Vowani / December 6, 2008 6:50 PM PST

Actually, it most likely is not the monitor which is in "power save mode", it is the computer itself.

When you cannot get a computer out of "power save mode" by any other means, typically the cause is that the button-cell-type battery of your computer, which is located on the motherboard, is empty.

Usually, this happens on a computer which is a few years old, since its batteries will have run out after such a long time. (The motherboard battery is used to store various settings when the computer power is off, such as date and time. When your computer detects this battery is empty, it goes into a low-power mode).

The solution is to replace the button-cell battery on the motherboard of your computer:

- open the case of your computer;
- visually locate the motherboard (the main electronic circuit board) of your computer;
- visually scan the motherboard for a button-cell battery (it looks like a digital watch battery, but a bit larger);
- remove this motherboard battery from your computer;
- restart your computer: it should now power up normally (you may get some warning messages during the start-up sequence, but ignore them);
- set the date and time of your computer using the "Date and Time" control panel;
- you can now use your computer normally, but you will lose date and time settings when you disconnect the computer power cord, since there is no motherboard battery present to store them;
- take the motherboard battery to an electronics store and get a replacement;
install the new battery in your computer;
- restart your computer, and set the date and time again; the settings will now be saved using motherboard battery power.

Collapse -
how to get my computer ie my monitor from power saving mode
by kundapraveen / June 28, 2010 9:57 PM PDT

hai

i hav a problem with my system when start my system the monitor is showing first green light then starts and shows me "power saving mode" and the light turns in to orange and stands like that only

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.