Windows 7

General discussion

Monitor goes to sleep then does not start on restart.

by Dango517 / December 31, 2009 5:03 AM PST

Windows 7 Home Premium
Monitor Compaq Q1859
PC model is CQ5210Y

PC goes to sleep after long state of idleness then when the PC is brought out of sleep or restarted it shows no connection status and then immediately goes back into sleep mode. PC continues to run but monitor screen is black.

Partial fix unattaching then reattaching the monitor cable from the graphics port then the PC restarts normally, sometimes but it's getting worse.

Have reset sleep settings to never. It is working for the moment.

This looks like an OS bug or the monitor driver. Driver is the most recent version.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor goes to sleep then does not start on restart.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor goes to sleep then does not start on restart.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let us know how it goes...
by TaraS_WinTeam / December 31, 2009 5:47 AM PST
Collapse -
From your link
by Dango517 / December 31, 2009 6:15 AM PST

"You might be able to wake your computer by pressing any key on the keyboard, clicking a mouse button, or opening the lid on a laptop"

Only works sometimes

This ones in your court, is my guess. Vista had problems with sleep too.

By-the way because the Windows 7 taskbar is single click I have no single click option for my mouse within the OS or online. Inside the system it's double click. Sad

Windows 7 drifts, it is unstable, you can never tell what it is going to do from day to day. It might be Superfetch. My hunch is M$ bungled this one. Vista was your best, to bad M$ didn't act fast enough to stop the massive smear campaign launched against it that was a fumble too. No room for error in this game.

Collapse -
other things to try
by TaraS_WinTeam / December 31, 2009 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: From your link
Collapse -
Not sure what that means
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 31, 2009 5:35 PM PST
In reply to: From your link

"By-the way because the Windows 7 taskbar is single click I have no single click option for my mouse within the OS or online. Inside the system it's double click"

Are you saying you cannot single click with your mouse? If so, time to get a new mouse I think.

Mark

Collapse -
Seven has single click on the taskbar only,
by Dango517 / December 31, 2009 5:53 PM PST

everywhere else it's double click. It is not possible to enable single click everywhere in the Operating System. Nothing is in the properties to allow double clicks for the mice. I have two mice both are the same. One of them I used with a Vista PC and it had this option in the properties, in 7 it doesn't. 7 has several new features in the taskbar, one being single click with the mouse. That's left click, btw.

Collapse -
Did you try this?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 31, 2009 5:58 PM PST

In Windows 7 open any Windows Explorer window. The "Computer" icon from the Start menu will do. Go to Tools > Folder options, then under the General tab change the "Double click to open an item" to "Single click to open an item (point to select)", then whichever sub-option you require.

That changes everything to single click, and I am sure that option is available in Win 7 as it was for XP, Vista, and previous Windows.

As far as I can recall, the Taskbar has only ever been single click.

Mark

Collapse -
Thank You, Mark gets the at-a-boy
by Dango517 / January 1, 2010 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: Did you try this?

I forgot about that folder setting. Path in Windows 7 is Start > control panel > Folder options > in "click items as follows" choose, single click option

Thanks again, Mark Happy

Collapse -
(NT) That's good, and glad you got it sorted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 6:49 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.