Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

monitor gets stuck at sign in

by wndbarnes / April 20, 2013 12:15 PM PDT

I can't sign in as my mouse is stuck at the the sign in on the welcome screen no matter what I do! HELP

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: monitor gets stuck at sign in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: monitor gets stuck at sign in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I Doubt It's The Monitor
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 21, 2013 2:18 AM PDT

Despite your topic, I doubt the the monitor is the problem.. Still, it would help if you gave us more information about the computer and monitor.. The make and model is necessary.. Is this a desktop, or are you referring to a laptop? Despite your statement, I'm guessing the "Mouse" doesn't actually get stuck, but the cursor/arrow on the screen stops moving,,,,,, is that a correct "guess"? What have you tried to fix the problem? The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

In the meantime, have you tried starting the computer into Safe Mode? If not, follow the steps in the link below to do so.. Does the mouse arrow work correctly in Safe Mode?

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Have you tried using a different mouse, and if possible, make it a PS2 mouse (round jack on the back of the computer), instead of a USB mouse???

Can you login using the keys on the keyboard? (Pressing the "tab" key will change the active location from one spot to the next, where you should be able to type in your username and password, then press the "Enter" key.)

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Collapse -
What's the actual problem???
by Harshada321 / April 21, 2013 8:53 PM PDT

In the title field you have mentioned that your monitor gets stuck & in the body part you have mentioned that the mouse got stuck. What is the problem actually? Please elaborate.

Collapse -
by wndbarnes / April 22, 2013 3:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
Please Try The Earlier Suggestions..Then Let Us Know Results
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: HELP!

Unfortunately, your latest post is basically a repeat of your first post.

Of course, we still need the information asked for.. Make and model of computer? Desktop or Laptop? Operating system installed? Will it work correctly in Safe Mode? Can you log in using the keyboard alone?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Collapse -
help needed , stuck!
by wndbarnes / April 26, 2013 4:23 PM PDT

my pc is an AMD 64 ATHLON CFL Signature Series,windows xp home editon.I can't go any further than the sign in with the key board in fact none of the sugestions given by anyone has helped at all! a friend of mine wondered if it could be my geforcf graphics card,could it be ? this pc is a desktop 400 watt power supply, 64-bit 2800+ mhz,will not even work in safe mode ! what to do ?

Collapse -
help needed , stuck!
by wndbarnes / April 27, 2013 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: help needed , stuck!
ConfusedI have tried all sugestions given to this point and none of them has worked, in fact some of them---- more than once!!
Collapse -
Re: mouse
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: help needed , stuck!

I doubt if you really need the mouse to login, but I can't try it in XP at this W7 machine.
And I don't read you tried another mouse yet, let alone another type of mouse (PS/2, USB, wireless) or replaced the battery of your wireless mouse).

Collapse -
I have a XP machine here and no mouse is needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: mouse

I can tab to the user and press enter or I can press control-alt-delete for the old style login.

Collapse -
help, stuck
by wndbarnes / April 27, 2013 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: mouse
Confused tried all and no luck
Collapse -
Please Explain Clearer
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: help, stuck

Saying "I have tried all sugestions given to this point and none of them has worked, in fact some of them---- more than once!!" doesn't tell use EXACTLY what occurred when you tried EACH and EVERYONE of the suggestions given.. More information is needed..

Unfortunately, you still give us no clues as to EXACTLY what happens when you attempt to move the mouse...OR... what happens when you press the "Tab" key to move around the login page so you can then enter.. You haven't told us the TYPE of mouse you're using? Did you actually try replacing your current mouse and keyboard with the old PS2 (round jack) type of mouse and keyboard?

Although the graphics card could be freezing up when the computer starts and therefore causing the screen to freeze, and we would test the theory by replacing the card, we usually try the other alternatives first simply because they're free or less expensive to test.. Let us know EXACTLY what happens when you perform the other tasks first.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Please explain the problem
by amy_lewis / April 23, 2013 9:17 PM PDT

I am not getting you what you want to say
Please describe the issue properly
If I am going in a right way then i think that your Operating System Files has been deleted or been corrupt. Thats why it is not allowing to sign in your computer after booting and it freezes there. You should reinstall Windows

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.