Computer Help forum

General discussion

Monitor - flickering-loose wire?

by 3labradors / July 26, 2007 11:39 AM PDT

I have a Gateway7330 laptop. It's about 2-2 1/2 years old. The monitor flickers. It seems like it's a loose wire, if I close the monitor and then bring it back up and adjust it to a certain angle it will stop the flickering. I need to move my monitor around a bit to make it stop. Once it is in the right position and I don't move it at all it is fine.

It of course is out of warranty. When it was under warranty, this was happening and I sent it in to be repaired, it's now doing it again.

Any suggestions-is this an easy fix or should I bring it to a professional?

Thanks for any help with this.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor - flickering-loose wire?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor - flickering-loose wire?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by tomron / July 26, 2007 1:22 PM PDT

Google shows some possible solutions.LINK,one link mentions that the monitor is to close to the tv.

I suppose you didn't ask the repair shop what the repair was.

Collapse -
not flickering in that sense
by 3labradors / July 26, 2007 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: 3labradors

It flickers only to the point of the monitor needs to be adjusted to a certain angle. If not than it flickers to the point of going black. I'm afraid if I don't repair it soon it will go black and never return. My solution now is to just keep closing and reopening the case until the monitor is at a certain angle where it stops. I think the more I type, the vibration may be making the wire move and then the flickering starts, I pull down my monitor to close up the notebook and readjust the angle so it won't black out on me.

It does not flicker like you see the computer monitor flicker through a news report where they are showing you a computer screen-hope I can explain that right. It has nothing to do with being near a tv.

Collapse -
It does sound suspiciously
by El Alquimista / July 26, 2007 1:33 PM PDT

like a bad connection -- and no, I don't think there is an easy fix. Unfortunately, this seems to be a job for the repair shop. But check the cost. If they say the screen or mobo should be replaced, you may well be better off with a new system -- especially considering the fact that it has happened twice in 2.5 years. There may be a design defect that will recur again in about a year.

Collapse -
Re: Solutions
by 3labradors / July 26, 2007 10:38 PM PDT

I thought about it after, I will contact Gateway to find out what repair they did on it. Then I will try other solutions posted up here. Thanks.

Collapse -
called gateway
by 3labradors / July 26, 2007 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Solutions

I called Gateway, (I had a lot of difficulty finally getting through) and they said they replaced a cable and replaced the invertaboard(sp?). There was a 90 day warranty on it. It was done 7/26/06.

Collapse -
Yes, a bad inverter board
by El Alquimista / July 27, 2007 8:37 AM PDT
In reply to: called gateway

can cause flicker on a laptop screen. However, the positioinal sensitivity you mention does suggest the cable(s) that run up through the hinge and are flexed evey time you open or close the case.

You might try a simple test. If there is a position where the screen is "black", look for a faint image of the current display (shining a flashlight on the screen may help). If you can see an image, the inverter and/or its cable is the problem. If there is no image, the LCD screen signals are missing or the LCD is bad.

If you wish, you may get a new inverter at this site or others. But be careful; some laptop manufacturers have been known to make "minor" modifications within a single model number. Check the part number. You should also replace the cable(s) at the same time.

Before deciding on DIY repair, you might want to take a look at this procedure for replacing the inverter. While I do not hesitate to tear into desktops for rebuilding or repair, I do not go into laptops. I have seen "simple" jobs turn into several hundred dollars, or even complete replacement.

Hope this helps a little

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.