Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

monitor does not come on

by miltonally / December 7, 2005 9:54 AM PST

i had an hp pav 7867 & pav mx70 monitor, win xp pro ver 2002, sp2, 1.00 ghz, & 512mb ram. i've replace the mx70 w. a mx703 monitor. i always shut down by clicking on start > turn computer off > turn off. now when i turn the computer on the monitor does not come on, i have to shut the 7867 down then turn it on again before the ms703 will turn on. at control panel under power options power scheme is "always on"; turn off monitor is "never"; turn off hd is "never"; & system standby is "never". help, what am i missing? is the 7867 too old for the mx703?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: monitor does not come on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: monitor does not come on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could it be...
by PKsteven / December 7, 2005 5:27 PM PST

Hate to ask such a simple question, but have you tried making sure the monitor is off from the monitor button, then when you start your pc , hit the monitor button to turn it on? If it's always on but pc is shut down, it simply may not be kicking it in right away to tell the monitor to turn on.
That is on the simple side but to be honest, not what I feel may be wrong. Do you have your pc on carpet, or the wires crossed in the back, are they too close to a power source, or speakers etc...basically anything that may cause interference?
How long has it been since you cleaned you pc? You may have dust built up inside causing you problems. Your power supply may not be kicking in either and should be checked for dust plugging the fan etc...You may also have a bad connection to the monitor port, could be dirty, getting old etc... It could also be the source you have your monitor plugged into, the outlet, what have you. I don't suggest going into any of this unless you know what you are doing obvioulsy.Something as simple as cleaning a pc out can damage the pc instead if you aren't careful. It could also be your mainboard VGA giving problems or needs update. Do you have a graphics card, (i'm guessing no). Why did you replace the old monitor? Something happen?
Thanks, Paul

Collapse -
sure could be
by miltonally / December 9, 2005 3:22 PM PST
In reply to: Could it be...

thanks for the input. i checked or did most of your observations (cleaning, location, etc)& the ones i have not tried, i will do so. i have two hp computers, & recently i purchased a new 19''lcd for one(hp 430n), then took the original monitor (mx703), & put it on the second computer (pavillion 7867)the original monitor for the 7867 is on the shelf. i am taking the computer to the shop, i will post a follow-up once i get everything working again. thanks much

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.