Desktops forum

General discussion

Monitor Display doesn't fill the screen

by shy_gurl / July 19, 2005 12:14 AM PDT

I need some help, I think. I'm using XP Home, Compaq 6331RSH Desktop.
The monitor display doesn't fill the screen. There's about 1/2'' showing on the right side, and maybe 1/4'' showing on the left.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR Driver, although there was no yellow flag by it. I still have the same problem with the desktop not filling up the screen. I have no idea what I did to cause this.
I'm up to date on my drivers, and windows updates.
If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Monitor Display doesn't fill the screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Monitor Display doesn't fill the screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2005 12:19 AM PDT

Some monitors have adjustments to size up the display. Some video drivers have a control panel to do the same or you find that refresh rate settings help.

Try those.

Collapse -
Monitor Display Help
by shy_gurl / July 19, 2005 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: A few things.

This is a Compaq, the monitor is 7550. I can't find the manual for it. It's a 17" display. How would I adjust the video driver and/or refresh rate settings?

Collapse -
The monitor settings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2005 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Monitor Display Help

There are usually buttons or knobs on the display to adjuest width and height. Do share if there are no such buttons or knobs since without a picture of your monitor I can only note that I've used these for years to adjust the picture.

-> About video settings. There is no standard here. But you can dive into the right click, properties on your desktop and fish around for display adapter settings and try another refresh rate.

Collapse -
Monitor Display
by shy_gurl / July 19, 2005 2:14 AM PDT
In reply to: The monitor settings.

I have a 3 buttons on my monitor. The left one has these different symbols/signs. I see the one I believe that I want. It shows these arrows <-->(unbroken line)
How would I choose this one to change my screen, so that it fills up the display?

Collapse -
I have a 3 buttons on my monitor.
by jcrobso / July 19, 2005 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Monitor Display

Most of the monitors have 4 buttons, are there any lights on the front by the buttons?
My guess is that one button is the mode button and the <--> buttons are the action buttons. So press the 3rd button it will just step through the different options and you use the other buttions to make the changes. John

Collapse -
Monitor trouble
by shy_gurl / July 19, 2005 12:31 PM PDT

No, I have 3 buttons on my monitor. None of them light up. The far left one is the one I pushed to get the blue circle up that shows different icons (?). The one I want is in a box and looks something like this <---> (with unbroken line). The other 2 buttons lighten/darken screen. This is a Compaq 7550 17" monitor. I emailed tech support, and they really have no clue. I did a google search to see if I could find an online manual, since I don't have one, and I struck out there too. I tried to stretch it, under Desktop properties>stretch, and that didn't work.
No yellow flags in device manager at all.

Collapse -
Monitor trouble no more.
by shy_gurl / July 19, 2005 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Monitor trouble

I got it!. I finally got a online manual. Whew!
Just in case, this is it online :

It uses Adobe Reader. This is for HP's and Compaqs I guess. I have a Compaq 7550 17".
I really appreciate your help, I just have never done this before, and I was really lost.
No yellow flags anywhere, so I knew the adapter was supposed to be ok.
Thanks all, and have a good evening. Happy

Collapse -
ATI Catalyst software
by alexei11 / February 11, 2011 11:44 AM PST
In reply to: A few things.

I had a same problem with my 27" ASUS monitors. I have 6 installed on 1 computer but only one didn't fill the full screen.

I use RADEON 5xxx series video card. The solution was to install ATI Catalyst software. Then go to Catalyst Control Center > Desktop Management > My Digital Flat Panel > LCD Overdrive ... then you can actually use change screen scale to fit entire screen, put to Overscan. and Apply.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.