Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

monitor cannot display this video mode

by bhighland / September 27, 2005 1:36 PM PDT

The monitor gives the message Cannot display this video mode, and I can't do anything. Can you help? Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: monitor cannot display this video mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: monitor cannot display this video mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try reinstalling the drivers for the video vard
by jonah jones / September 27, 2005 8:11 PM PDT

if you don't know which card you have use www.belarc.com/free_download.html (copy the URL to your browser) and then go to the manufacturers site and download the driver/s

jonah

Collapse -
CANNOT DISPLAY THIS VIDEO MODE
by piopeterdsouza / November 10, 2005 10:25 AM PST

TRY THIS TRICK:
1: GO TO WINDOWS ADVANCED MENU.
2. ENABLE VGA MODE.
3. CHANGE THE SCREEN RESOLUTION TO 1024 x 768.
4. RESTART.

THE OTHER THING THAT COULD BE TRIED IS:
UNINSTALL THE EXISTING VIDEO DRIVER AND REINSTALL IT AGAIN.

THIRD THING YOU COULD TRY IS: CHANGE THE VIDEO MODE ON THE MONITOR IF YOU HAVE A FLAT SCREEN WITH VGA / DIGITAL MODE. HOW TO DO THIS, CALL YOUR MANUFACTURER OR CALL UP DELL HELPDESK (FEE BASED SUPPORT) HOWEVER, THESE GUYS ROCK, THEY'LL FIX IT FOR YOU.

LAST THING THAT CAN FIX THIS ONE IS:
ENABLE VGA MODE AND RUN THE VIRUS SCAN. YOUR SYSTEM COULD HAVE VIRUSES. SO FORMAT AND REINSTALL THE OS ON THE HARD DRIVE.

Collapse -
Thank you
by kc_hecka / June 5, 2013 9:04 AM PDT

thanks dude, you're a life saver. i accidentally changed the resolution and i thought i was screwed. i read what you said to do from my nintendo wii and did the steps and it work. i got the pc working again right before my mom came home so my butt was saved Grin thanks again

Collapse -
resolution setting
by Nadk / October 23, 2005 10:47 PM PDT

It sounds like you've tried to set your display resolution beyond the scope of your monitor. Try booting up into safe mode and then changing your settings back to 1024x768 (or lower) it should work fine then.

Collapse -
cannot display this video mode analog output
by ryathshay / November 14, 2005 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: resolution setting

Hi. I have the same problem.
Dell E173FP doesn't display POST or BIOS while connected to the analog output. It gives the message "cannot display this video mode". When I get the login promt, it works fine. ALso, if I use an extension cable to get signal from the digital output of my video card, I can see the POST and BIOS, but in Windows everything is fuzzy. I know it's not from OS, because POST or BIOS don't have anything to do with OS.

Collapse -
2 Options
by sabyasachi_lawyer / October 27, 2005 11:00 PM PDT

You may :
1) once run your motherboard (mainboard) cd & try installing the necessary drives
2) change your monitor since it may not support your wanted resolution at all

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.