Peripherals forum

General discussion

monitor adjustment to remove shadow

by bwhitesell / August 6, 2006 10:19 AM PDT

I have a 5 year old Gateway EV910C 19 inch CRT monitor that produces a shadow to the right of all text and graphics. To date I've done the following to diagnose the problem:

1) I've tried several different resoultions and refresh rates from the Windows XP Display settings. All produce a shadow.

2) I've tried to adjust this with the On Screeen Display (OSD) control using the dial wheel on the front of the monitor without any success.

3) I've connected another monitor and found that my graphics card is not the source of the problem. The other monitor at the same resolutions and refresh rates does not show the shadows.

4) I pulled the case off the monitor and found the vertical and horizontal focus controls. I tweaked them but I still have about a 1/16th inch offset to the right which produces a shadow effect. The internal control labeled ''Screen'' has been glued to prevent adjustment.

The picture is bright and sharp with the exception of this annoying shadow. I'm guessing the Red, Blue, and Green guns are misaligned.

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem, other than buying a new monitor?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: monitor adjustment to remove shadow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: monitor adjustment to remove shadow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Decide
by Willy / August 6, 2006 10:54 PM PDT

It appears you've done all you can with adj'ments of the monitor. Since this is a 5yr. old crt. you are now experiencing the age of the monitor. Only a true repair is going to fix it and/or replacement. You may not want to buy a new monitor but if the repair cost exceeds 50% of new, then you decide. I wouldn't fiddle too much the innards any more, you're only going to really whack it up, of course that's a last resort item to do. I suggest you get some diag displays and tweek from those and not the OSD ones. The shadow could also be the result of tweeking in the extremes to get anything as the monitor is worn out, thus you'll never get rid of it except for a repair. You can find used crt's at the Sal. Army or Goodwill as users update to LCDs, etc. for cheap.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I reread thread
by Willy / May 9, 2014 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Decide

Even though this is an old post, users refer to it to fix their problem. Please note, as the OP said, he had tried adj. with the monitor as follows:
>>>>
4) I pulled the case off the monitor and found the vertical and horizontal focus controls. I tweaked them but I still have about a 1/16th inch offset to the right which produces a shadow effect. The internal control labeled ''Screen'' has been glued to prevent adjustment.

Since, the above didn't correct the problem, i like to point out, then the monitor was still "plugged in", very bad. The AC even with power-OFF provides a shock value all its own. Yet, he tried another monitor to check this which suggests he had to "unplug" to get the other monitor connected. Unless, i missed something, it should have corrected itself when the monitor was returned. maybe it did, but following the 1-4 steps, didn't work???

Enjoy, the fix if that what it takes to make it work. Electronics does have mysteries. -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
monitor adjustment to remove shadow
by Max Bork / July 31, 2009 11:47 AM PDT

I had the same problem with my Samsung monitor!
re, a monitor adjustment to remove shadows
I unpluged the monitor(only)
and reconected it....
problem solved..it rebooted itself!
I hope this simple solution works for you too!
Now if I can only remember to do this
the next time shadows show up!
Have a great day..........

Collapse -
Thank you!!!
by Lizzie1976 / May 21, 2013 1:33 AM PDT

I have been dealing with this shadow for several days. I finally googled it and found your answer. It worked like a charm!!!

I'm eternally grateful!!!

Collapse -
Monitor shadow
by JSDurham2013 / May 23, 2013 4:01 AM PDT

Unplugging monitor and replugging in worked for me too. I had just downloaded a Java update and thought that was to blame, but the screen looks good again. Thanks!

Collapse -
Thank you
by Yvonne1812 / June 30, 2013 11:34 PM PDT

unplugged monitor as you suggested & it now works perfectly. Thanks a million.

Collapse -
thx
by cheesydog / September 25, 2013 1:29 PM PDT

I have been dealing with this prob. for 2 years now I just found your solution an it works great, thanks a million Happy

Collapse -
Monitor fixed...WHOO HOO
by lindasea / January 27, 2014 12:23 AM PST

I have been struggling with this shadowing problem for over a week. Its REALLY hard on the eyes. I followed this suggestion to unplug the monitor and it felt like magic to have it come back looking normal again once I plugged it back in. THANK YOU for this most helpful post from clear back in 09 that solved my problem. Glad you didn't take down the information C/NET!!! WHOO HOO!!!!!

Collapse -
Worked like a charm.
by lucyhuggins / May 9, 2014 1:53 AM PDT

I unplugged my monitor as suggested and it fixed the problem. THANK YOU

Collapse -
Thanks a million
by VPhua / August 21, 2014 6:02 PM PDT

i've been trying to solve this problem for a few weeks, to no avail. Then I read this today.
Thank you, so simple. Problem solves.
Thumbs up .....

Collapse -
DON'T WORK
by GregFart / March 28, 2015 9:04 AM PDT

I unplugged my samsung S22D300 and it didn't work.

Collapse -
I FIXED IT
by GregFart / March 31, 2015 12:16 AM PDT

I TRIED USING A DIFFERENT VGA CABLE AND IT FIXED THE SHADOWS!!!!

Collapse -
Thank you!
by kapow73 / March 25, 2015 4:55 AM PDT

I unplugged and plugged back in and it worked. Thank you so much, this was getting really hard on the eyes!

Collapse -
Unplugging the monitor...
by 26502562039096961078550575468880 / July 12, 2015 6:19 AM PDT

I unplugged the monitor and now it won't work altogether...jk.
Thanks that was bugging me all day.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.