The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Molly, Comcast HD lineup sucks

by commorancy / October 2, 2007 7:14 PM PDT

This is in comment of the lack of Sci-Fi in HD from Ep. 61 (and other podcasts). I live in Cupertino (no, not very far from Apple) and this is Comcast's HDTV channel lineup for Cupertino (pretty sad actually):

702 KTVU - (Fox) High-Definition TV
703 KNTV - (NBC) High-Definition TV
704 KRON - (IND) High-Definition TV
705 KPIX - (CBS)
707 KGO - (ABC) High-Definition TV
709 KQED - (PBS)
719 INHD - 1 Pay-Per-View
720 FSNBA (Check Local Listings for Game Times) High-Definition TV
722 Discovery - HD High-Definition TV
723 ESPN - HD High-Definition TV
725 NFL Network HD High-Definition TV
730 HBO - HD High-Definition TV
732 Cinemax - HD High-Definition TV
734 Starz! - HD High-Definition TV
736 Showtime - HD High-Definition TV

As you will notice, there is _no_ HD SCI-FI available. I'm still waiting and have been since they introduced HDTV programming. Worse, Sci-Fi is in the ANALOG portion of the channel tier in this Comcast zone so it's almost constantly having interference. I'm not even certain that Sci-Fi is actually even broadcast in HD anywhere on Comcast as I find lots of users complaining of this very fact. Is it broadcast HD on any Comcast area or on any other video providers? Comcast's HDTV lineup here is actually quite SAD... in fact, it's pathetic. So, don't think Comcast is the provider to select for HDTV programming.

BTW, six of the above channels are available over the air with an antenna! That means, you're only actually paying for 9 HD channels and because most of the bottom channels are premium channels, you're going to pay more for each of these channels ABOVE the additional HDTV monthly box fee. I haven't jumped into the HD programming of Comcast primarily because of this utterly pathetic HD channel lineup combined with the lack of Sci-Fi.

I've gotten tired of waiting for HD Sci-Fi from Comcast, so I personally just go buy the DVDs after Battlestar Galactica is over and watch the episodes between the seasons. No, DVD not 1080p, but 480p is at least better than Comcast's analog signals.

If you're looking for a high quality HD resolution Sci-Fi series, visit . The Webisodes aren't free, but they don't have DRM either and are fully downloadable. This is the first of its kind web-based broadcast quality Sci-Fi series. It's being produced by Damian Kindler of Stargate SG1 notoriety. I personally like the series so far, but the per Webisode cost is rather pricey as each segment only clocks in at ~17 HD minutes per Webisode. The price? $8.75 ($2.18 ea) for a bundle of 4 HD Webisodes or $2.49 per single HD Webisode.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Molly, Comcast HD lineup sucks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Molly, Comcast HD lineup sucks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I realize it's not Comcast but...
by raygun01 / October 3, 2007 4:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
DirecTV 100+, Comcast 9 ... who's winning the HD battle?
by commorancy / October 3, 2007 10:13 AM PDT

You know, this channel lineup from DirecTV really shows just how pathetic Comcast's HD lineup really is. Sad It makes me want to switch. Unfortunately, I'm in an apartment and don't have adequate or clear sky access to any facilities facing the right direction to place the dish. Of course, the apartment won't help me with this issue. So, I'm stuck with Comcast unless I move. For some reason, Comcast seems to be pulling the wool over people's eyes about just how spectacular their HD video cable lineup is. In fact, it's pretty darned bad (9 actual HD cable channels?) when compared to competitors like DirecTV with 100+ channels?

Thanks for the info and the show!

Collapse -
Is that your content to sell?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2007 5:26 AM PDT

I took a look and you don't appear to hold the rights to the content and therefore no rights to collect money.

Collapse -
Bob's rant
by commorancy / October 3, 2007 6:20 AM PDT

Bob said,

==I took a look and you don't appear to hold the rights to the content and therefore no rights to collect money.

I'm sorry, but what is this rant about? To which content do we refer? Please be more clear when you post.

As far as my original post to which it appears you replied, I wasn't selling anything. I was stating that A) Comcast's HD lineup sucks and that B) an HD TV series was available. If you found that discussion about Sanctuary For All to be 'salesy', you misinterpreted the post. In fact, if you read just a bit more closely, you'll find I was griping about the prices of the episodes being too high, not trying to sell the content. Duh!

Note that $2.49 for 17 minutes of content translates to costing the equivalent of $120-150 for a full DVD set sized season of Sanctuary For All. Consider that most other TV shows on DVD cost, say around $32-40 for a full season. Then, the $120-$150 for SFA ends up just a bit over the top wouldn't you say? Granted, it is in HD, but that doesn't warrant 4x the cost. If that looks like a sales pitch, you must end up buying lots of things you don't need.

Collapse -
Many of those that post content they don't own....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2007 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob's rant

End up in our court system. Their lives ruined. Well at least this person will take the RIAA/MPAA bullet first.

Collapse -
by commorancy / October 4, 2007 10:46 AM PDT

I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say. However, I do know this. There is no content that I've posted here on this forum (or any other public forum) that wasn't already public information. None of the content that I've posted here is owned by the RIAA or the MPAA. In fact, I've found no content, at least yet, posted to any of these CNET forums that contain copyrighted materials governed by the RIAA or the MPAA. I'm also quite sure that should anyone post copyrighted materials governed by either of these organizations, to the CNET forums, that the CNET moderators would take it down immediately.

I can't speak for other people, but I would never post copyrighted materials governed by the MPAA or RIAA to any public forum, let alone CNET forums. I'm also quite sure it violates CNET's terms for using these forums.

FYI, the RIAA governs materials recorded as audio (specifically by certain very large record labels). The MPAA governs materials recorded as a motion picture (again, by specific very large motion picture companies). As I said, I've not posted any audio nor video content to these or any other forums. So, it sounds to me like you're rather lost or I'm lost as to what prompted this thread.

But... Yes, I agree that if you do post content you don't own, or more specifically, content that is governed by the MPAA and/or the RIAA you will very likely get in trouble with them. For example, posting videos to YouTube that contain copyrighted MPAA or RIAA governed materials... not a good idea.

If you're commenting on a specific podcast where Molly has discussed these organizations, it might be more helpful to include the podcast number to which you are commenting.

Collapse -
by sherrynation / September 30, 2010 4:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Bob's rant

Agree with u! I've also gotten tired of waiting for HD Sci-Fi from Comcast, so I personally just go buy the DVDs after Battlestar Galactica is over and watch the episodes between the seasons. No, DVD not 1080p, but 480p is at least better than Comcast's analog signals.

Message was edited by: (ADMIN) 10/01/2010 4:16PM For signature ad which are prohibited in these forums

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.