Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Modern browsers for Windows 98 systems?

by CardsFan29 / October 9, 2009 4:09 AM PDT

What are the most modern browsers that can still be installed in a Windows 98 system? Is IE 6 about the best option out there?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modern browsers for Windows 98 systems?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modern browsers for Windows 98 systems?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
W98 browser
by bob b / October 9, 2009 7:06 AM PDT

Firefox 2.20 supports w98.

It's old but a step up from IE 6.

Maybe Opera?
Use some reading.

Collapse -
Update OS
by GODhack / November 6, 2009 3:56 AM PST
I feel like spammer... posted same two times lol

But really just update os. Every time you open web page with so outdated browser God kills kitten.

Collapse -
I have to ask.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 6, 2009 4:00 AM PST
In reply to: Update OS

What is the relation between and the OP's request for an older browser for his Windows 98 system?

Your subject title is "Update OS". Is that an order, a suggestion, or are you just spamming ?

Did the OP ask about different operating systems?

Collapse -
by GODhack / November 6, 2009 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: I have to ask.

He removes windows 98 installs Puppy for free and gets modern browser problem solved. Simple like that.

Collapse -
90% of this forum part problems can be solved in same way
by GODhack / November 6, 2009 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: explanation

90% of this forum part problems can be solved in about same way.
I just bored to post same 10 times. I hope everyone read this and understand.

Collapse -
The latest browsers for Windows 98 are IE 7 and Firefox 3
by otr_man / October 2, 2010 1:22 PM PDT

Windows 98/98SE/ME can only run the original release of Internet Explorer 6 (sometimes called Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1). The Service Pack 2 release of IE6 requires Windows XP or later.

The latest version of Firefox which will run on Windows 98/98SE/ME is Firefox (Firefox 3 requires Windows XP or later).

However, it is possible to patch Windows 98/98SE/ME to run programs which require Windows XP, such as Firefox 3 or IE7, by installing the program KernelEx (the Kernel extender). I have not yet tried this with IE8.

KernelEx is a free Open Source compatibility layer which allows the running of Windows 2000/XP applications on Windows 98/ME by using custom API libraries that implement (or simulate) functions and procedures needed by WinXP programs.

It neither requires nor includes system files from other Windows products such as Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The only requirement is that the user first installs the free Microsoft Layer for Unicode (MSLU) from:

Download KernelEx 4.0 RC2 from:

Collapse -
windows me browser update
by arimatthewdavies / November 10, 2013 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: explanation

ok guys yesterday I ran acoss an emachine in new shape had windows me after i added ram I could not find a decent browser to upgrade it.I want to keep me because the computer is vintage shape.but here is your solution the other guy tried but did not and install lucid puppy linux it is dual boot when you need to go on the internet just boot to puppy, you do not need to uninstall windows you install puppy with 1 click to windows me. since puppy will run all the modern windows programs bingo problem solved, you keep me and have full modern browsing with 1 click free!

Collapse -
more on useing puppy or android to help an old windows os
by arimatthewdavies / November 10, 2013 5:49 AM PST

you can download either puppy or android for free,they will run fine inside windows 98 or me, you can simply download and install what you want to the older windows os or if the older os wont run it you can use wine to run just about any need to uninstall or modify windows just click and runright from windows like any other program and since your runing inside windows all the hardwaredrivers will work, its great to save an old pc and its so small that it will not bog you down..same with the android that runs inside windows millions of free apps,firefox, chrome opeara all run fine and you can download avast free antivirus and run it from the droid or puppy,and keep theolder os clean.its free it works, and it dosent mess up windows.

Collapse -
W98 browser or OS change?
by jeff8053 / November 8, 2010 6:13 AM PST
In reply to: Update OS

Yes, Puppy Linux is great - I use it a lot.
But the poster asked for Web browser advice, not a change in OS.
I have a W98 laptop and Puppy Linux is no good there because it doesn't work with the modem. And even if it did I'd still use W98 because of my investment in Office and other Windows applications.
It looks like an old version of Opera ( or Firefox may be the best choice.

Collapse -
Kmeleon or Opera
by otr_man / November 18, 2010 12:30 AM PST
Collapse -
going off at a slight tanget.......
by jeffk / December 9, 2010 5:08 AM PST's a usefull site for old versions of software that might be useful as you're running a Win98 system.

Collapse -
by gvance1 / October 31, 2013 5:18 AM PDT

Is there a antivirus for Windows 98 SE?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2013 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Antivirus??

Try a search using your question on google.

Collapse -
KernelEx 4.5.2 w/ Flash Player
by easeltine / February 10, 2014 5:09 AM PST

For more information see KernelEx Wiki.

The best modern browsers for Windows 98/ME, tested on Inspiron 8000, (256K MB RAM), with the above software is as follows, (in my opinion Best-Worst):

SeaMonkey 2.0.14 - Very stable, best YouTube videos at 360P resolution, no script errors.
Firefox 3.6 - Very stable, great YouTube videos, especially at 144P resolution, no script errors.
Opera 11.63 & Opera 12.02 - Very stable, great YouTube videos, no script errors. A little bit slow, but solid.
Firefox 4-9 - Great YouTube videos, no script errors. Sometimes gives a crash error when closing, but still very good experience to run. Firefox 3.6 & 4.0 will give you this message on YouTube that the browser is too old and not supported, but presently it will run Flash Player fine.
K-Meleon - Some script errors, but will run YouTube videos fine. Great alternative.
Netscape 9 - About the same experience as K-Meleon.

Internet Explorer 6 & Opera 9.6 - Forget them!

Firefox 2.0 - Cannot use YouTube, Flash Player, but made for Windows 98, and SOLID for searches.

Fun, not for YouTube Videos - Use OffByOne Browser, a functional 1 MB Browser that should work speedy with a 486 machine for just looking up something say on WIKI.
Square 1 Browser - Easy to use, but the search engine doesn't work, still works easy great on simple searches.

If you want to get something that only works with Windows 95, Mosaico is still out there.

Collapse -
Opera 10
by James Denison / February 16, 2014 10:38 AM PST

That's the last, most recent, browser I was able to install and use on Win98SE while loaded into a virtual machine.

Collapse -
Opera 10 in virtual machine
by easeltine / February 19, 2014 5:06 PM PST
In reply to: Opera 10

You have patience!
Win98SE is so slow in my Linux VirtualBox that I plan on using the OffByOneBrowser. Even Firefox 2.0 is pretty slow.

Collapse -
It depends
by James Denison / February 20, 2014 7:24 AM PST

On how much RAM you share to the virtual system and the ability of your CPU, those are the two biggest limiting factors. In fact, windows 98 was expected to run on half gig of RAM and needed an update to run a full GB, as I recall.

Collapse -
Or less. Link of collected articles about too much RAM
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2014 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: It depends
Collapse -
the workaround
by James Denison / February 20, 2014 12:20 PM PST
In reply to: It depends;EN-US;q253912

I think windows 98 had to be the Second Edition version to actually use a full GB of RAM.

It also helps to link the rsrcmtr.exe program into the startup folder, so it will open on boot and keep track of memory leakage, letting you know before a crash occurs. Makes a systray icon which goes from green bars, to yellow, then finally to red. This allows to save things and do a reboot in time.
Collapse -
SlimBrowser 7.00.078 Released 2/14/14, Flash Player 11.1.102
by easeltine / February 20, 2014 5:24 PM PST
In reply to: the workaround

The new release of SlimBrowser,, came out on 2/14/14. This browser uses IE 6. This new version has fixed the script error problems that the old version was giving me. This browser can be installed on Windows 98 SE/ME using KernelEx. Pretty good, much better than the older version! .

I updated my Flash Player today from 10.3 to 11.1. These two Flash Players allow one to watch YouTube with a faster computer. Again, one needs KernelEX in order to run these. Mozilla 5, and above, and the other advanced version of Opera, SeaMonkey above w/ Flash Player 10.3 and above does not give you the "Your browser is no longer supported by YouTube," message.

My Windows 2000 Pro in VirtualBox runs very quick. The architecture of an MS O/S 2000 and above runs much quicker than the Fat 32 products of 98 and ME. My machine for this Windows ME I am using is an Inspiron 8000/ 900 Mhz/ 256 MB RAM, and works much better than Windows 2000 or any version of Linux I can find on it. I cannot watch CBS, (Star Trek), stuff, probably need more RAM.

Collapse -
windows 98
by James Denison / February 20, 2014 10:18 PM PST

had terrible memory leaks all the time, but win2000 was a great system. I actually preferred it most times instead of XP and used it more often.

Collapse -
Windows 98 SE/Flash Player/KernelEx & slower computers
by easeltine / February 27, 2014 12:53 AM PST

Another older computer I have is a IBM Thinkpad 390E/365 Mhz/160 MB RAM

With an older Pentium II processor a computer is not able to us Flash Player 10.3, that is according to KernelEx Wiki, and tested correct. I had to uninstall Flash Player 10.3, however, I installed Flash Player 10.1. I was actually able to watch some YouTube videos at 144 resolution. The best browser for watching the videos on the computer was Firefox 3.6, though, Opera 11.64 was acceptable.
SeaMonkey 2.0 was a little bit choppy. K-Meleon and Firefox 2.0 were too choppy.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.