Networking & Wireless

Question

Modem/Router/Ports Major long Term Issue

by SpinyGloomz / January 1, 2013 10:07 PM PST

Okay so this is an issue which i gave up on about a year ago. I used to run a multitude of servers from home computers (such as minecraft servers) and the issue i am running into is now i can not.

Almost a year ago i moved houses obtained a new internet plan and a new Modem (i am not sure of the names of the newer versions which have inbuilt routers and wireless capabilities, but this is one of them). When i connect directly to this Modem i can port forward and my ports are found to be open when using a port checkers. The the next part is where i ran into some issues, i run two computers and an Xbox and wireless is pretty much out of the question seeing as i have a foot thick concrete wall which blocks any to all signals form traveling through. To work around this i run one hugely long cable to a older router (Cisco Linskey E-2500) and connect my xbox and computers with individual cables. The issue is now that i have both a modem(routerthingo) and a secondary router which acts as a switch, i can no longer port forward in a way that anything can connect to my PC. When testing with external Ip address its comes up as closed. i attempted to open the port on the primary router for both my computer ip and secondary router ip, i then went on to open the port on my secondry router think that it was just like have two doors which needed to be opened. none of this work and i really would like a hand in fixing this if anyone has any ideas.

Specs of things:
Primary Modem (router wirlesthingo): netgear CG3100
Secondary router/switch: Cisco Linksys E-2500

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modem/Router/Ports Major long Term Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modem/Router/Ports Major long Term Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Properly Configured
by sunwatcher / January 1, 2013 10:43 PM PST

Do you have the Netgear and Linksys connected LAN to LAN and not LAN to WAN? Is DHCP turned off on the Linksys? Your devices need to pull IPs from the Netgear and not the Linksys.

You will need to open ports for the IPs of the computers and the XBox on the Netgear, and reserve those IPs so they don't change for those devices.

You may want to consider purchasing a dedicated network switch, some available for around US$20.

Collapse -
Setup
by SpinyGloomz / January 2, 2013 10:56 AM PST
In reply to: Properly Configured

I have a cable running from the LAN of the Netgear to the wan of the linkseys. DHCP is enabled on the linksys; and i am unsure how to make the devices pull ips from the Netgear.

if you can make a more in depth judgment of my issue now i would greatly appreciate it =)

Regards

Collapse -
FIXED
by SpinyGloomz / January 2, 2013 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: Properly Configured

After doing a lot of digging online i grabbed a second netgear router and disabled the DHCP which essentially put it into bridge mode automatically grabbing the ip address from the CG3100, no all thats left to do is create a static ip so my pc stays the same allt he time. thanks alot for the help =)

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) What's plugged into the WAN port of the Linskey E-2500?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 12:30 AM PST
Collapse -
Setup
by SpinyGloomz / January 2, 2013 10:58 AM PST

I have a cable running from the lan of the netgear to the wan of the linksys.

Collapse -
Which would create the issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 11:27 PM PST
In reply to: Setup

I see you opted for bridge mode. You could have run the cable to one of the LAN ports and used google on these words "How to use a router as a WAP."
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.