Networking & Wireless

Question

modem router connection problem, help plz

by _asgar_ / February 16, 2013 2:19 PM PST

hey all,

i have got an MTNL modem installed and i am trying to connect a D-link modem and use the same as a router.
I disabled the DHCP on D-link modem and configured it properly and hooked it using a 1metre patch cable with the base modem and everything worked fine. But when i am connecting the modems using a 25metre cable i fail to get the connection. When i insert the 25m cable directly into the lan port of pc i can browse without any issues. Please guide.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: modem router connection problem, help plz
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: modem router connection problem, help plz
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So you are using the router as a WAP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2013 6:24 AM PST

And this cable is going to the LAN port of the router?

Collapse -
hi
by _asgar_ / February 17, 2013 6:23 PM PST

Lemme explain the scenario a bit:

I have one ISP provided dsl modem which is working fine both in wired and wireless mode.
Now i purchased a D-Link wifi modem to extend my range, so i am connecting the D-Link modem with The base modem. I am setting base modem at 192.168.1.1 and its DHCP enabled from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254
i set the lan address of D-Link modem to 192.168.1.2 and disabled its DHCP.
Now when I connect the modems using a small straight patch cable the D-Link modem is able to ping the base modem and everything works like charm, but when I am trying to connect the modems using a 25m straight cable, the D-Link modem is unable to ping the base modem. This had made me suspect that there is smthng wrong with the cable but when i insert the cable directly into the LAN port of PC i am able to ping the base modem, so in nutshell the communication problem arises when i am using 25m cable and the problem doesnt occur when a small length cable is used, this is a strange and weird problem.

Collapse -
Re: router
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 17, 2013 6:42 PM PST
In reply to: hi

I note you didn't answer Bob's simple question. Let me repeat it, in case you're a slow reader: "And this cable is going to the LAN port of the router?"

Kees

Collapse -
hi
by _asgar_ / February 17, 2013 6:52 PM PST
In reply to: Re: router

sorry for being a noob. Both the modems have 4 identical ports, and i tried connecting both the modems trying all port combinations. The router is a D-link wifi modem which i am trying to use as a router by disabling its DHCP.

Collapse -
So it's strictly a cable problem?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 17, 2013 7:00 PM PST
In reply to: hi

A 1m cable works both directly (base modem to PC / base modem to D-Link with 1 m cable, D-Link wireless to PC)?
And a 25 m cable works directly (base modem to PC), but not when doing base modem to D-Link with 25 m cable, D-Link wireless to PC)?

Then I'd try a few other cables in different lengths for a better diagnosis.

Kees

Collapse -
HI
by _asgar_ / February 17, 2013 7:05 PM PST

Exactly that is what is going on. I tested the cable using a cable tester and it shows cable is fine, last month while changing the connector of the cable i had swapped a pair and the modem was up but the speed was low, dunno what is it that is causing the problem. can crossing over the cable solve the problem?

Collapse -
Answer
Never got a clear answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 12:00 AM PST

Google this.

"How to use a router as a WAP."

Since we can't get a clear picture or settings I'll share that's how I use a second router. The second router's WAN port is never used.
Bob

Collapse -
hey bob
by _asgar_ / February 18, 2013 1:00 PM PST

i googled as u suggested and came to know that this is the exact process i have already followed. I am using the 2nd modem as a WAP. with small cable everything works fine but no luck with long cable.

Collapse -
Long cable
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 1:35 PM PST
In reply to: hey bob

Should be good up to 100 meters. If it fails, it's a safe bet the cable is the issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.