Internet Service Providers forum

Modem lease resets daily, drops internet connection

by nwpassage / April 10, 2013 1:21 AM PDT

My modem resets daily it's lease, which I don't have a problem with. It drops the internet connection and appears to reboot the modem at the same time for approximately 5-10 minutes I have no internet connection. I am using a ZyXEL PK 5001Z from CenturyLink. I have been searching the internet and it appears to be a problem all over the place . I live in Oregon

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modem lease resets daily, drops internet connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modem lease resets daily, drops internet connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This should be no problem at all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 1:30 AM PDT

All the apps and OSes should recover from such. If not the OS or apps are in need of some fixing.

There are some folk that never considered such while they wrote their software and if you get a bad app like that, you might think you need to fix the internet.

Collapse -
modem lease
by nwpassage / April 10, 2013 6:45 AM PDT

Bob like I said I have no problem with the modem resetting the lease daily, and my system works fine but it always drops the internet and usually have to reload Movie or whatever else I,m doing at the time it does this.
It should not interrupt what your doing on the computer.It's doing this at 10:20 PM every night and it is aggravating to say the least.It has been doing this only for the last two or three weeks, where I had never had it do this before that. CenturyLink checked this out online a couple days ago, but it was in the morning, not at the time it was doing it. Seems to be going on with mutiple type modems throughout the Country. So it DOES seem to be a problem. Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
It should interrupt the PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: modem lease

And you've revealed there is an application with a bug.

I've encountered folk that feel an internet connection must be available 24x7 and they often are very upset by daily or weekly lease renewals.

-> Let me be very clear that there is nothing wrong with your PC or modem. If the application authors don't feel like handling this drop, then you have no choice but to find a new provider or application.

Is it a problem? Yes. Is it a problem that was unexpected? No. I'm unsure how much more explanation you need here.

Collapse -
application authors
by nwpassage / April 10, 2013 10:56 AM PDT

I guess maybe you misunderstood me about whatever else I,m doing. Usually only affects movies, but if I'm surfing, the modem powers down completely and I lose all connectivity. Is there an adjustment I can do to alleviate the drop I use chrome on an xppro system and DHCP settings are all by default. Thanks again for your reply,

Collapse -
The lease at 24 hours
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2013 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: application authors

So if you power up at 8AM and get a lease at that time it should hang in there for 24 hours.

And to answer your question. I have to repeat the above. You don't like your ISP's policies and there is no user end cure except to go elsewhere.

Why not restart the modem and let it renew on your schedule? Some users run torrents and they seem to be the most upset by this. But most software recovers fine. It's hard to believe you would need 24 hours without interruption. So you can see the ISP's view on this.

Collapse -
me to
by bannerbomb / June 22, 2013 10:57 PM PDT

O got same modum live in utah don't know why its doing this latly? Centrylink why this happening to them?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.