Computer Help forum

General discussion

Modem keeps disconnecting

by Jay M / April 20, 2006 12:13 AM PDT

Dell Dimension 1110, 512RAM, 160GB, WIN XP

I just got this computer and am using the same dialup ISP I had before with no problems. Now, the connection keeps closing, sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after as much as an hour, sometimes during downloads. I have unchecked everything that appears related to disconnecting in the ISP program and in the modem (Conexant), also tried reducing modem speed. I have unchecked everything in OE (which I don't use anyway, can I delete it from the computer?).

Any ideas on how to stay connected?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modem keeps disconnecting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modem keeps disconnecting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Jay, Have You Tried?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 20, 2006 12:39 AM PDT

....updating the modem drivers on the computer.. Visit the computer manufacturer's website or the modem manufacturer's website and check for a newer, updated driver.

Have you tried temporarily disabling the Windows firewall.

Outlook Express (OE) should have no relevance to the connection issue. Yes, you can uninstall it from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section/Add-Remove Windows Components section although it does no harm by simply sitting there. (Uncheck the Outlook Express box in the section mentioned.) It can be reinstalled if you later choose to use it by using the Windows CD.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Yes I already did those things
by Jay M / April 20, 2006 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Jay, Have You Tried?

Thanks Grif for the response.

Yesterday I updated the modem driver from the Dell site. To no apparent avail.

The Windows firewall is already disabled, since I use Zone Alarm (I was told only one firewall is needed at a time)

I have seen references to firewalls interfering with dialup connections...? never had the problem before....

How about security settings? I was using McAfee, but switched back to Avast anti-virus which has served me well in the past. Can anti-virus interefere?

Collapse -
Phone Company
by Kono Kusotare / April 20, 2006 4:17 AM PDT

Contact your phone company and have them test your line for noise. Explain what's happening. Buried phone lines can be affected by rain/moisture/age in particular, which is what I experienced. After I complained numerous times, they replaced the underground lines and resolved the issue. They weren't motivated to do this because outside line work cannot be charged to the customer.

Collapse -
I will consider this
by Jay M / April 21, 2006 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Phone Company

Thanks. I think you're right, the phone company here is notoriously bad. They probably would do nothing, and would charge me for checking the line. So I will consider this as a last resort

Collapse -
Jay, The Point Was To Disable ALL Firewalls Temporarily
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 20, 2006 5:02 AM PDT

If the firewall is causing an issue, then temporarily disabling all firewalls will tell you about it.

In regards to McAfee, did you uinstall it prior to installing Avast? Which McAfee program was previously installed? Is it the full Internet Security Suite that also had a firewall? There are possible effects from a bad uninstall of a previous firewall but it would help to know more.

With your current dial-up, have you tried changing access numbers to see if the current access number if experiencing difficulties? When I used dial-up, I discovered that certain numbers worked better than others.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Collapse -
by Jay M / April 21, 2006 1:15 AM PDT

Ok Thanks Grif

I installed Avast with McAfee still on there, then uninstalled McAfee. I see that Zone Alarm still lists McAfee. I should remove every trace of McAfee and its firewall.

I also tried using an alternate dialup number. Since I moved only a short distance recently, and use the same ISP, I doubt the problem is with them.

After the safe mode check, I will look into phone lines.

By the way, I was just told that the phone line for dialup should go into the modem jack 'not' marked with an image of a telephone. I switched it to the other jack, and last night I stayed connected all the time. So ...perhaps that was the issue

Thanks to both of you again!

Collapse -
Yep, That's It..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 21, 2006 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok

Most dial-up modems have two jacks..One is a "line in" jack, the other is the "line out" jack. The "line out" jack is designed for connecting to a telephone so a telephone could be used when the dial-up modem isn't in use. The "line it" jack is for connected to the wall jack.

If you have the cable connected to the "line out" jack, I'm surprised you got any connection at all.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.