Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Modem Dial in without phone line

by critterhen / December 22, 2008 10:15 PM PST

Is there a way to dial in without a telephone line. I have cable internet but I need to use modem dial in for a specific program to access the control system at work.

Can I use my LAN cable connection as a modem to dial in for a specific program.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modem Dial in without phone line
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modem Dial in without phone line
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No, that's impossible.
by Kees Bakker / December 22, 2008 10:27 PM PST

Two obvious possibilities:

- Find a control system at work that has a web-based interface.
- Ask your boss to pay for a telephone line at your home.

Collapse -
Yes, but expensive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 10:54 PM PST

The hard way: Put another PC in the system with a modem and remote control software such as VNC. Now VNC to that machine and dial the other modem with a telco line simulator. Done that and I know it works.

The easy way. On most of those old dial in configuration setups on the other side of the modem is a serial port. For that I can use the now widely available ethernet to RS232 devices like this one ->

This issue is solvable in very easy ways. I've done it numerous times and got paid for it. Here you learn my solutions for free.

Collapse -
As I understood the question ...
by Kees Bakker / December 22, 2008 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: Yes, but expensive.

the OP didn't have a land line available (only broadband via cable and probably a cell phone for conversations). And his software expects a dial-up modem. He doesn't tell anything about the situation at work (where the system he wants to control is located), but I assume that's connected to the POTS via a modem also and expects to be dialed-in by the control software.

I wonder if your solutions cover that situation. Could you tell a little bit more?

Collapse -
That's the first solution I noted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2008 12:10 AM PST

By using VNC to get to the PC on location we run the software there. The TELCO SIMULATOR is a hardware box that gives up the dial tone and lets two modems connect. Slick stuff that solves this problem.

The second solution is preferred since it removes modems and one PC from the setup.

These solutions are well known by the 'industrial control' type gear heads (that's me.) I do run into a few that balk at the cost but it's a fraction of the bill I send for support.

So here we have me sharing that nugget for free. It doesn't get any better than that.

Collapse -
(NT) I see. Thanks.
by Kees Bakker / December 23, 2008 4:52 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.