Samsung forum

Question

Model #: HLT5075SX/XAA: White Dots on Screen

by kevinvcox11 / July 10, 2011 12:07 PM PDT

I have had my Samsung DLP for about 4yrs now and there are two white dots on my screen similar to what I've read from some other posts on this forum. It sounds like a common problem that Samsung is having. How do I go about getting this fixed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Model #: HLT5075SX/XAA: White Dots on Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Model #: HLT5075SX/XAA: White Dots on Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Start by doing what other fold did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2011 1:33 PM PDT

Call it in. If they don't give you a fix, post back with COUNTRY, short story, age, etc. and the TRANSACTION NUMBER.

Seems to help the Ambassador kick it up.
Bob

Collapse -
Contacted Samsung via Oline Chat
by VAPowells / July 24, 2011 2:48 AM PDT

Issue ID for this chat is LTK56403491X

Collapse -
Sorry for the typo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2011 2:50 AM PDT

But I see you sorted it out.

Collapse -
White Dot issue resolved
by VAPowells / July 24, 2011 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry for the typo.

I would suggest anyone having the " White Dot" Issue at least contact them and provide you model and serial. thats all the info they needed from me to generate a service ticket.

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung White Dots
by Kurt558 / November 11, 2011 11:30 AM PST

Like many others, I too had the white dot issue. I first thought it was gnats or some kind of bugs on the mirror of the projection unit - but it was much simpler.

Samsung had a number of faulty components and has taken responsibility to fix them. They continue to expand their recall dates to cover units that had the faulty DMD chip. My set is 4 years old and they didn't ask any questions except for the model and serial number.

Here's the unbelievable part - I called 1-800-SAMSUNG at 8pm on Thursday and they had a Samsung service truck at my house at 5pm Friday. That's right, less than 24 hours with no questions and no charge.

I love Samsung products and have two TVs and a Blue Ray player. Their customer service on this issue alone will make me go first to Samsung for anything in the future. Good Job Samsung! It's a nice change to actually get good customer service these days.

Collapse -
Samsung model HL67A750A white dots
by knutsonj1 / November 11, 2011 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: Samsung White Dots

My set is less than 4 years old and Samsung tells me my white dots are due to wear and tear. I do not understand why some white dot problem TV's are fixed at no charge and others are not. I too would like to say Good Job Samsung! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
called samsung...no help
by kelirl / November 12, 2011 2:16 PM PST
In reply to: Samsung White Dots

after learning that other tv's were suffering the same fate as my 5 year old hlt5076sx/xaa, i called samsung. they were no help.....how can i get this service that most others are getting. what is the point in buying this type of tv if its not going to work after 5 years.............

Collapse -
New system. Read link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2011 3:25 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Ft Lauderdale area this ia a $100 fix.
by batchcuter / December 10, 2011 2:18 AM PST

Contact my Shop in Ft. Lauderdale.

Collapse -
Answer
Read another thread on this forum
by Masyunya / December 14, 2011 12:59 AM PST

First of all, I would like to thank everyone, who has
contributed to this forum. Thank
you! Thank you! Thank you!
There is another thread here, which has been locked for replies. Reading through the comments in that thread gave me the knowledge and confidence to successfully handle my
issue with Samsung. Here is my experience dealing with Samsung.

We got a little over five years from our Samsung TV before
two white dots appeared on the screen in late November. The situation worsened very quickly. Within a couple of days, we had almost a
dozen white spots. This is when I
decided to do some internet research on this problem and found this site. I called Samsung at 1-800-726-7864 on Friday,
December 2. They asked for my model code
(HL-T5075SX/XAA), serial number, and version number (PD01). All of this information was easy to get right
off the set.

I talked to a rep named Shemia, who was most pleasant,
accommodating, and knowledgeable. I did
not have to argue at all. I was
immediately told that, if the problem was due to the known defect with the
chip, I would get a one time courtesy service free of charge. I agreed to these terms and was then assigned
a service order number and scheduled for service next week between 8AM and
12PM. I was told that the service center
will call me within 48 hours to confirm the appointment and then again on the
day of service, once the tech is about 30 minutes out. Shemia even gave me her extension, so I could
call her back directly in case the service center did not call within 48 hours.

My experience with the service center was not nearly as
smooth. I was assigned a service center
in Riverdale, NJ, which is almost an hour away from my
home. The service center did not call
within 48 hours. When they did call they
left a message and did not follow up. My
calls back to them were placed during their business hours and both times I had
to leave a message because nobody was manning the phones. The day of the scheduled service, a technician
called and said that he would not be able to come by 12pm, as was initially
scheduled. When I called to reschedule the
customer service person at the Riverdale service center was obnoxious and
unprofessional. I spoke with a woman
named Abigail, who never apologized for the missed appointment, refused to
schedule a time block, offering to schedule a date, and complained about my
address being far away. I asked her if
she felt that it was reasonable for a working family to spend their entire day
waiting for a service technician. She
didn't care, telling me to complain to Samsung, if I didn't like it. I asked for her full name. She refused to give it to me and hung up on
me! I may have been demanding, but never
unpleasant or offensive. Shame on this
service center and Abigail in particular... I wish I knew her full name and the
name of this service center.

Having had this unpleasant experience with the service
center, I called Samsung and complained.
Shemia again was super accommodating and pleasant. She found a service center in Keyport, NJ,
which is just 15 minutes away from me. This
service center called promptly to confirm my issue and TV model. They called again to let me know when the
part arrived and scheduled service for the morning of Monday, December 12. The technician came in the time block we had
discussed, called ahead to let us know when he was 15 minutes away, and did all
the work within ~45 minutes. The service
was completely free.

We first saw the dots in late November, after Thanksgiving. By December 12, it was unwatchable. We literally lost count of the number of dots,
so I definitely recommend you take care of the problem ASAP, once you see even
one dot. It's unlikely the dot will
disappear on its own. I also would
recommend you confirm that the service center you are assigned is fairly close
to your home address. That gives the
service center more flexibility and makes it easier for them to meet designated
service time. Now, fingers crossed, our
TV looks almost like new. Love the
picture quality! Hopefully, we can get
another 5 years out of it!!!

Collapse -
There is a new system in place.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2011 1:05 AM PST

Since this thread hints at the old system this old discussion will be closed. It will still be here for a very long time but to save folk from going down the wrong path, it's closed.

You've made the calls and in the US you head to http://forums.cnet.com/7726-13973_102-5228823.html?tag=posts;msg5230583 and follow the instructions there and hope for the best.

But at 5 years this is well out of warranty and the offer may be a part only or given so far out of warranty it's up to them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.