Samsung forum

Question

Mode Not Supported on Samsung TV?

by hattoncote / March 6, 2013 6:42 AM PST

I have an upscaling UK Sony DVD -player (DVP-SR760H), which was connected to my Canadian Samsung 32" LCD TV (LN-R328W) by HDMI. I watched my region 2 DVDs in high quality and was a very happy bunny.
I recently moved out of my rented accommodation and left behind the TV, so I purchased my own, a Canadian Samsung 32" LED Smart TV (UN32EH5300F).
Now I am unable to watch my DVDs - the HDMI input gives an error message "Mode not supported. Resolution not supported. Change the resolution of the external device." I have tried all the available resolutions on the DVD player: AUTO (1920x1080p), 1920x1080i, 1280x720p and 720x480/576p. None is acceptable to the TV. I also tried a different HDMI input and a different HDMI cable, without success. Other devices connected by HDMI work fine (laptop, Blu-Ray).
Connecting the DVD by composite cable gives a black & white image and would usually suggest to me that the TV cannot accept the PAL signal from the DVD - but I thought that with HD TVs the number of lines for PAL/NTSC was no longer an issue.
Can someone please explain why my old TV worked but the new one doesn't? They are both similarly speced. What can I do to enable it to accept the picture from the DVD player? I have hundreds of UK region 2 DVDs and cannot live without them!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mode Not Supported on Samsung TV?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mode Not Supported on Samsung TV?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly, the big makers must respect regions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 7:07 AM PST

I've found a few devices ignore such things and a new TV or player will fix that issue. Beg, borrow a region free player and try again.

As you suspect you might not find support in this area.
Bob

Collapse -
I don't get it...what is it that the TV doesn't like?
by hattoncote / March 6, 2013 7:28 AM PST

Thanks for your comment.

How come the output resolution of the DVD player cannot be accepted by the TV if it is one of the standard resolutions? Sorry, but I'm just trying to understand what is going on here. Google has been my friend, but I've got nowhere.

Unfortunately I live in the mountains and don't drive so cannot just pop to the shops to look for a region free DVD player and I don't know anyone who has one. In fact my DVD player came from England on my last trip back.
If a player is region free so will play region 2 discs, how does it work if they're PAL? Does it not output a PAL signal? What about 50 Hz / 60 Hz - does this have a bearing?

Do TVs still have a PAL/NTSC distinction? Can I buy a "region free" TV?

I tried the Samsung online support and their phone line - should be renamed no support as they're not interested.

Is there a way to convert the signal from the DVD player for the TV?

Collapse -
From my past run ins with this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 8:07 AM PST

We use a region free or "world player" and avoid copy protected links like HDMI. I found it surprising to find Amazon.com to have such things now. I bet Amazon.ca has them too.

I can't guess why it worked before but it's a well discussed topic and as you discovered the big name makers must "OBEY" the regions and more. I hope you can figure that much out.
Bob

Collapse -
What about a video converter?
by hattoncote / March 6, 2013 8:54 AM PST

So I've been googling to find converters from PAL to NTSC. There seems to be a choice at varying prices where I can input my DVD's PAL 50Hz HDMI signal and output an NTSC 60Hz HDMI signal to the TV.

I don't want to buy a new DVD player as this one isn't a year old yet so this is my next thing to try.

Collapse -
I don't think I can help you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 9:03 AM PST

You seem to think the new HDCP system can be defeated. I shared above that I have seen this and a little bit about what we know but I don't think you understand that the makers are not going to offer ways to get around the regions and more. In fact it's been getting worse. Component video was an out but as you can tell it's in "Sunset" and they don't have to support it.

If there is a converter then talk to the those that make such.

Given all your research I'm surprised you haven't discovered what a mess this is.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm a born optimist!
by hattoncote / March 6, 2013 9:39 AM PST

So I guess I'm back to square one. Never been a fan of region coding and now it's getting worse with all the copy protection. The ridiculous thing is I can download the films I have on DVD from the internet onto a USB stick and watch them on the TV no trouble, which is exactly what I'll have to do.

Collapse -
Or you can rip what you have. But we can't discuss that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2013 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: I'm a born optimist!

Look at what company hosts this forum (CBS) and you are in a manufacturer's forum where I doubt they will offer region free, or a product that dismisses HDCP.

You know how to research this, and for now, Intel has a league of lawyers ready to send out if anyone dares strip or avoid HDCP on HDMI. Not to mention governments with their (unlimited?) budget and time to enforce regions and what you can watch.
Bob

Collapse -
Why do that?
by Pepe7 / March 6, 2013 10:44 AM PST

Considering any type of converter will run upwards of $100, and that's what a region/code free DVD player would cost, I don't see that as a good solution.

Sell your current DVD player for $20 and pick up a new one that does what you need it to do. Or, simply use your PC to play back those PAL DVDs. Finding software to remove the region coding takes about 5 minutes using google.

Collapse -
I give in, I wish I'd never bought a new TV.
by hattoncote / March 6, 2013 11:25 AM PST
In reply to: Why do that?

You're right, it's as cheap to buy a new DVD player as buy a converter.
Not sure who in Canada will want a UK DVD player though...even for $20!

I don't have a PC, but my laptop is already PAL so doesn't need a software update, it's just that the quality isn't great when it plays DVDs. It's a shame I can't find a mod for the Blu-Ray player to play region 2 DVDs (I can find one that allows region 2 players to play region 1 DVDs but no one has the other way round).

Anyway thanks for all the input.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.