Car Tech forum

General discussion

Modding '00 V6 Mustang (Manual trans.)

by W-Unit / March 24, 2008 8:36 AM PDT

Alright, so my goal for this summer is to have my V6 5-speed manual transmission 2000 Mustang able to compete and hopefully beat a stock '99-'04 Mustang GT.
I've already started with minor upgrades like a cool air intake and high-flow air filter. I've also replaced the stock hood and side scoops with real scoops (the stock scoops are filled in and do not actually do anything performance-wise).
Now for my next upgrade, I'm thinking of a cat-back exhaust system, because the rule of thumb seems to be to get good intake and exhaust systems before anything else. So my first question is: what kind of exhaust system should I get? And is cat-back sufficient for the amount of modding I want to do, or do I need to upgrade the whole exhaust system?
After this, I'd like to get a short-throw shift kit. But let me know if you think that there are other things I should get first or that are more important.
After this, I think the most important matter is to push back the "Redline" (for lack of a better term). Stock V6 Mustangs have the red line on the tachometer drawn at about 5600-5700 RPM. This *needs* to be quite a bit higher if I'm going to compete with V8 'stangs (I would hope for a 1000 RPM increase, but I would accept as little as 300-400). I assume that with this change, a modification to gear ratios would also be a good idea, since each gear now has a higher "range"? If so, how exactly do I go about changing gear ratios?
Then, it's all just about getting the most performance. So, if I still have money to spend after all of this, I was hoping to get a turbocharger. I've seen prices on turbos range from $200 for the turbo alone to $1400 for the turbo plus a plethora of parts whose function I didn't understand. So, how much money do you think is a good amount to plan to spend on a turbocharger, including labor (I'm assuming that's not something you can install yourself lol)?

Thanks a lot for any and all suggestions.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modding '00 V6 Mustang (Manual trans.)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modding '00 V6 Mustang (Manual trans.)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Money money money....
by batman823 / March 26, 2008 12:01 AM PDT

You're going to need to pour a lot of money in to be able to compete with the V8's. Here's a list of things that people usually do, the prices vary and can get pretty high, but that's all up to you.

Definitely consult a speedshop who's done these mods to mustangs before. A combo of any of them can be overdone and cost you a bunch of money or blow the engine.

To change the gear ratio, you'll have to special order a new gearbox and/or transmission. They will have different ratios from OEM or aftermaket manufacturers. You shouldn't have any trouble finding parts. I'd recommend going with a 6-speed tranny if you can afford to have one put in.

To get the power up, you are right to increase the redline, that's just a racing 'chip' that any speed shop will have.

Along with that, you will NEED to put in a high performance exhaust manifold. Since you will need the extra airflow, just upgrade the whole system. Yes, upgrade the intake manifold as well with the cold-air intake.

I'm not sure how with the electronic systems, but upping the compression ration will give more torque, and the mustang engine can handle it.

Having the engine bored out will allow more power but lower your real redline, if you do this, make sure you do the chip mod afterward but you'll have to be more careful with the compression ratio because the walls are now thinner and more fuel is used. Too many gaskets and heads get blown because people bore out too far, but it's a HUGE torque boost.

Increase the throw, the stroke length, this gives each revolution more space for fuel on the top of the cycle and more compression on the bottom.

BIG ONE that is really cheap... Get a lighter flywheel and a lighter crank. It reduces the weight that the engine has to push in order to keep turning/rev up, making it more efficient. Therefore; more HP

But most of all, make sure the mech you go to is competent. If they've never done these mods on a Stang before, at least make sure they know what they're doing.

Collapse -
Couple questions
by W-Unit / March 26, 2008 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Money money money....

Thanks for the reply!!
Alright, so I want to be pretty conservative with this and I'd rather not meet my goal of competing with V8s than try to do too much and end up spending bookoos of money on replacing gaskets and what-not. So I'll probably either mess with the compression ratio OR bore out the engine, or maybe just a little of each. Right now I'm leaning towards compression ratio because it sounds less risky, cheaper, and also I don't want to do anything right now to push the redline further down. Is this a wise choice, or does boring the engine really give you enough of a power boost to make it worth it?

When you say increase the throw/stroke length, do you mean on the shifter? Like, rather than a short throw shifter, a long throw shifter? Just wanna make sure I got this right Wink

The intake manifold... is that another part I'll have to buy? Or was that included with the intake itself that I bought?

And if I were to just put a racing chip in there today in order to push back the redline, would it be able to handle it? Or do I need to upgrade the exhaust system first so that it can handle the higher RPMs?

Cheers and thanks again Happy

Collapse -
Oh, and one more thing
by W-Unit / March 26, 2008 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Couple questions

Upgrading the exhaust system is getting very confusing when I look at stuff besides just cat-back systems. If possible, I'm going to purchase the parts myself, not through the guys that will be doing the work, because I've found it's cheaper that way 95% of the time.

So I'm lost on all this H-Pipe, X-Pipe, Y-Pipe, etc business. I really like the MagnaFlow exhaust systems and they make one that fits my Stang, but it's cat-back. So what other parts will I need to get a complete exhaust system? (obviously a catalytic converter, but what else?)

Collapse -
couple answers
by batman823 / March 26, 2008 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Couple questions

The stroke length is the length that the piston travels. If it's longer, there's more room for air/fuel mix when it's at top. There's a higher compression when it's at the bottom position. This should be done at the same time you get it bored out. The speed shop should know how far to bore out and change the stroke length.

In my opinion, the short throw shifters don't make that much of a difference. But statistically, I'm told it takes time off of each shift. So in a drag, that could be the difference between winning and losing.

With the bore-out, you get more power at the same or lower rpm. Same with the longer stroke.
The 'racing chip' will let the computer allow higher redline and generally allow stronger performance. The Mustang can handle it now, or later. But when you bore/change stroke you change the engine size, which may require a different style of chip. The exhaust system upgrade will help.

Both manifolds are parts you can buy. Intake is where the air comes in to the engine, that may have been part of the cold-air intake, but that depends on the kit you bought. The exhaust manifold is just the other end. A wider set of manifolds will allow higher airflow, which gives more power.

I've never installed an exhaust system so I couldn't tell you to go with x or y, but I know that the stock system is pretty choked up for emissions and the like. The x/y refers to the way the pipes cross over. I'm not sure if either is better or if straight is better.
You could just go with a cat-back kit, but if you're going to do the exhaust system, do the whole thing so you can get better flow. The cat-back will reduce backpressure, but the flow will benefit more from the whole length widening up.

Don't get all this done in one shot. That's one way many people empty their wallets and end up blowing the engine in the process. You'll notice a big change in performance with most of the changes.
Another thing, unless you 100% know what you're doing, have the mechanic do it. Things can get really messed up when some incompatible parts are mixed or if the engine is overstressed.

You don't have to do all of these things at all, it's just a bunch of options to step up the performance. You might consider trading it in for a newer mustang or a v-8 instead of taking the risk on blowing it up. But that all depends on your budget, which I don't know anything about.

I do recommend getting lighter flywheel and crankshaft installs. The flywheel alone should give a 5-10% boost in HP.

Collapse -
by cmomustang / April 2, 2010 7:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Money money money....

hey seen your reply to the other guy with the v6. seems like u know your stuff. so i have to ask you, what should i do next to my 2000 v6 mustang. so far i have it modded pretty good. i have the whole vortech supercharger package on it. a cobra diff. bigger torque conv. performance spark plugs. the cobra diff is 8.8 and makes my v6 posi. im sure the next thing i need next is to have my computer modded to suit the upgraded parts on my car. because its only readying that i have a supercharger and that is it. but my question is should i jump to that now or try to find something els before i modd the e.c.u

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.