Android forum

Mobile Challenge

by jhondaw / November 21, 2011 6:08 AM PST

Hi, we are a data security company and we have an interesting challenge in the mobile world: We would like to send a security code that will appear simultaneously on the incoming call screen of the receiver's phone before he answers the call.On top of that, we would like to send an additional security code during the conversation, and we would like it to appear on the receiver's phone screen (next/under the call ID and call duration) in real time. Any ideas?
Many thanks!<div>John

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mobile Challenge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mobile Challenge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
We discussed this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2011 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: Mobile Challenge;threadListing

Sorry but let me tip my hand a little more. Not only have I been on 2 way pager designs (way old stuff) but today am involved in current cellular development and handheld apps.

It appears you are trying to get around what you do to make this work. In short, you will not be doing this without working with the carriers.
Collapse -
Not giving up but...
by jhondaw / November 21, 2011 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: We discussed this.

Thanks Bob. I was just hoping there's a way around it, like sending the data at the same time as the call, but via a reliable yet different service. It is appear as thought you believe the only way is really to strike a deal w AT&T, Verizon, Sprint etc... If that's the case, it is so disappointing!

Collapse -
The only way is like Skype.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2011 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: Not giving up but...

And you send a message or datagram to an app then make the call. But this presupposes they install your apps.

So there it is. They would need to install your app first and you need another pipe (internet connection) to send the first message before the call.

I know this area and it's issues. As I shared, I'm working on a system now that we send messages around in what they call "M2M".

Collapse -
Got it
by jhondaw / November 22, 2011 5:12 AM PST

Yes, this is an option, although developing your own dialer is costly and may come with questionable call quality.
I guess using a 2-way sms / push notification is one way to do it, too.
Easier said than done, I take it - and I really appreciate all your answers and advice.
I wish there was a way to use the telcos call, without the need to strike a deal w them, so that I wouldn't need my own VOIP. All I need is to guarantee that the data/image will go alongside the call and will not be delayed.

Collapse -
In our world the data goes first. Get's an ack then
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2011 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: Got it

In our M2M app, the data goes first. We use UDP so we send the UDP out, then wait for a reply from the remote system (an acknowledgement) and then are ready for the next step.

I've seen folk try to do this "alongside" or in parallel and they fail every time.

Collapse -
by jhondaw / November 22, 2011 9:50 PM PST

Hi Bob, do you think all these folk fail because the couldn't strike a deal with the cell carriers, and if so - how wold you go about it when approaching those companies?

Collapse -
For us too easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2011 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Telcos

You head to the site and find phone numbers and start calling. Or go to the trade shows.

Here's one coming up ->

There are others but this was the last one I went to.

Collapse -
by jhondaw / November 23, 2011 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: For us too easy.

It should be an uphill battle, to say the least!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.