Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Mobile application for the CNET forums --need your feedback

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 12, 2011 5:41 AM PDT

Hey folks,

Great news! Our CNET mobile team is starting to look into a mobile application for the CNET forums, so that members like you can easily participate in our forums using your mobile or tablet devices on the go.

Since they are in the early stages of scoping this project out, they have ask me to get your feedback first on what you'd like to see and use on this forum mobile app.

When you're thinking about the mobile app for the forums, tell us what features that you currently use on the desktop version of our forums that you absolutely must have (beside the basics functionalities.) And let us know what you find most useful in the forums that will make your mobile experience sufficient and effective when you using it on the go. This way our mobile team can build out the features that are highly regarded by you and leave out the unnecessary items that may not be so useful when using the app.

For example: Would you like to see read and unread tracking of messages? Do you want to see which forum posts have been voted helpful? And the list goes on....

If any of you are currently already using TapaTalk or any other forum mobile app for other forums, what do you like or dislike about their app? Are there things on those mobile apps that you use, that you'd like to see on our forum mobile app? Please give us some examples-- this way our team can take those into consideration when they are putting together their game plan.

Your participation in this feedback will be very helpful in pre-planning our forum mobile app, so that they can build out what is best for you.

Thanks everyone for your time.
CNET Community

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mobile application for the CNET forums --need your feedback
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mobile application for the CNET forums --need your feedback
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The feature I'd want
by Steven Haninger / October 14, 2011 9:19 AM PDT

is the ability to detect when the app was in the hands of a user who was behind the wheel of a car and would then phone the police with his license number and location. Wink

Collapse -
Tapatalk and CNET
by Walt H / October 14, 2011 11:53 PM PDT

I just got an Asus Eee Pad Transformer and installed an App called TapaTalk. Have you guys considered this option?

Collapse -
You did read the first post?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 16, 2011 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Tapatalk and CNET

it specifically mentions TapaTalk, so I guess CNET has/is considering this option

Collapse -
by thart142011 / October 16, 2011 1:16 PM PDT

nice to hear that words Cool

Collapse -
My wishlist for the iOS version...

Make the app an universal app, no ads, but keep the current features of the forum.
Also, just curious, when is CNET going to make their Reviews, News, and TV iOS apps universal?

Collapse -
My two cents . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 20, 2011 10:45 PM PDT

I've been here longer than most, since at least 1998. I've seen many changes. But during the day or when I'm away from my PC, I do not long for the forums. I can live without them. I do not need to check them from my phone (iPhone). I do not want updates sent to me. I can access the site and the forums from my iPhone browser and have done it a couple of times. But I do not live and breathe "The Forums".

Oh! AH! Now I know! The developers have nothing to do.

Collapse -
On the go.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: My two cents . . .

It's for those who are 'on the go' all the time and need to check the forums.

Me? I'm stationary and I don't own a smart phone anyway!

Collapse -
OK but . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 21, 2011 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: On the go.

If a person feels they have to check the forums while they are on the go, the have other problems. Just say'n.

Collapse -
Why, oh why, must it be an app?
by John.Wilkinson / October 23, 2011 10:36 PM PDT

Largely personal preference, but I find apps designed to replace a mobile website to be limited and problematic. In short:
1.) It restricts access to users of specific mobile platforms.
2.) It requires another download/installation, and switching between apps.
3.) It requires the user know about and search for the app; it's not automatic.
4.) It increases maintenance requirements to continue long-term support.
5.) It requires users upgrade the app every time new features are released.

Instead, I would greatly prefer a mobile version of the forums website. It would greatly increase usage because it would be available to everyone (not just Android/iPhone users) and visitors would be taken there automatically based on OS/display detection. And it wouldn't matter if Apple upgrades to iOS 5 or Android goes to v4 - it would be an OS-independent website. Sorta like CNET. Wink

Native apps are essential, and I believe there's currently an over-emphasis on moving traditionally native apps to the cloud despite a loss of functionality, performance, reliability, and security. However, in this case, I don't see benefits to a native forums app that outweigh the overhead and entry barriers involved.

Of course, I love that the forums are getting the attention from TPTB. But perhaps a mobile website could be considered in this "pre-planning" phase?

Collapse -
I agree
by talks_44 / December 29, 2011 7:27 AM PST

with the mobile site vs app thing. I prefer mobile sites over apps as well. The list he mentioned are basically the reasons why I dislike apps over mobile sites. Then again I don't really have an urge to use sites/forums/etc when mobile anyways, but when I do I prefer mobile sites. They're easier as well (to use). I have several apps I've not updated just because it's an annoyance when there is some tiny update they do every other week

Collapse -
by xminus1 / November 23, 2011 9:00 PM PST

I have a problem with this agency. I currently have free Advanced System Care 4.2 and wanted the 5.o..but there is a riff here and trying to switch and bait me to a professional one at reduced rate. whew. I tried to download it and it would not work. a scam in the making.The village idiots that run things only have IE and other other types. What about Google Chrome and it is far superior to IE and the others on the market. I may wait to the legitimate ones come up with this as a possible upgrading. Thanks for the dishonest and under the take political corruption that exists in the corporate world. xminus 1/ Harold

Collapse -
Not sure I understand
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 23, 2011 9:14 PM PST
In reply to: CNET

The discussion is about Mobile Apps for a smartphone, tablet, or so on, to allow members log in to and participate in these forums.

What does that have to do with Advanced System Care?

Collapse -
In addition to what Mark said...
by John.Wilkinson / November 27, 2011 9:39 PM PST
In reply to: CNET

CNET offers free downloads of third-party software. Whether you wish to upgrade to a new version, pay for a professional edition, etc is up to you, and the purchase of such is between you and the third-party. It has nothing to do with browser preferences or perceived 'political corruption in the corporate world.' If you have an issue with or the download, you can start a new thread in the forum, but this is not the place for that or the unrelated commentary.

Collapse -
Still evaluating a mobile application for CNET forums?
by AndielynP / March 27, 2012 1:28 AM PDT

If I've missed this elsewhere, please forgive me.

I would love to have an app to read CNET forums. I am currently using TapaTalk and think it's a great app for forums. There are a few limitations (polls, for example) but overall it is a great forum app and sure beats reading forums with a browser.

I hope you are still planning this. I am not a huge forum follower but there are a few select forums--like CNET--that I would like to be able to follow. TapaTalk access would be great. Thanks.

Collapse -
This got pushed back down the line, but we are still gearing
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 27, 2012 9:21 AM PDT

up to implement this. It most likely will not be an app rather a mobile base platform/site for the forums.

It maybe a while, but we'll get there.

Thanks for your patience.

Collapse -
mobile access update--thanks
by AndielynP / March 30, 2012 2:30 AM PDT

Thanks for the update. Very much looking forward to having some sort of mobile access. Disappointed you are not considering a TapaTalk plug-in though.

Collapse -
I believe this will be good
by emmashen / May 8, 2012 12:27 PM PDT

This principle will be good for all of us! Thank u!

Note: This post was edited by its original author to edit out signature link on 05/08/2012 at 9:25 PM PT

Collapse -
It's good and i am on the way......
by trousemoore / August 16, 2012 10:38 PM PDT

I am a huge forum follower and love to have mobile related forums and have gone through this post that I would like to follow. TapaTalk access is great and it works fine for me. Thanks for a good application.

Note: This post was edited by its original author to remove signature link on 08/17/2012 at 7:03 AM PT

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.