Samsung forum

Resolved Question

MKV not streaming to ES6100

by mikegtt / January 16, 2013 8:03 PM PST

I have a problem. MKV-files works via USB HDD but will not stream from my NAS to a new ES6100 with the latest firmware, not even with a UTP cable. But on my D8000 (which i haven't updated for some time) it works perfect, 720 as wel as 1080 MKV files via wifi (N).
Files with for example MP4 extensions do stream fine from my NAS to the ES6100. So it looks to me that is more a firmware (codec) problem.

Does anyone know what to do?

Any hope for a firmware update soon?

mikegtt has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MKV not streaming to ES6100
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MKV not streaming to ES6100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by mikegtt

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 1:18 AM PST

Not all encodings are supported. The common fix is to encode in ways that work. Or use other DLNA servers.

Collapse -
by mikegtt / January 17, 2013 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: TRUE!

Hi Bob,

I know that not all encodings are supported but why does it work on my D8000 and not on the ES6100?? According to both manuals they should play the same encodings with the same limitations and the ES6100 does play the MKV's trough USB HHD. So it looks like the encoding is not the problem.

Collapse -
Because there is some encodings that don't work
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: Why?

In one model or another. You will find folk that have discovered that this works here but not there. Then you get to go back to the product manual and you see the list of encodings that is supported and it was sheer luck the other model worked as the encoding was not on the list.

And let's get this out of the way fast. MKV is a CONTAINER and not an encoding format. Some folk forget or never knew that.

Collapse -
(NT) Typo. Change "is" to "are".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 1:45 AM PST
Collapse -
by mikegtt / January 17, 2013 2:31 AM PST

Problem solved. A reset of the NAS solved the problem. Streams like heaven, 720 as wel as 1080.

Thanks for thinking with me.

Collapse -
Good to read, but doesn't that mean it's buggy?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: Solved

Buggy servers are a pain.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.