Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Mixi Dj Search

by josiane58 / March 25, 2013 11:03 AM PDT

I have downloaded a word counter program on Cnet recently and since then every time i open firefox and i open a new tab i get this mixi dj search. I went in add remover programs its not there. I went in firefox tools its not there neither i went to add ons and extensions its not there. In IE when i go to add ons and search engines i see it but it says non disponible so i dont know how to remove this crap. What i am sure of is that i got it after downloading a program on Cnet . Can someone tell me how to remove it thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mixi Dj Search
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mixi Dj Search
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have this problem too.
by kahakura / March 27, 2013 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Mixi Dj Search

I got it while downloading a program on cnet. I think there is an advert that says "download here" just above the real download link. It is a trick by the advertiser. Most annoying. I ran Avira and Spybot S&D but the Malware persists. How do I fix this?

Collapse -
Mixi Dj Search
by josiane58 / March 27, 2013 10:39 AM PDT

i wish i could get ride of it to i have XP home edition and dont know what to do any more Sad

Collapse -
Remove mixi.dj
by cmullinsjr / April 5, 2013 5:51 AM PDT

It infected my browsers (IE and Firefox 20) when I downloaded Firefox 20 from CNET.
1. Depending on your browser, go to "Manage Add-ons" and remove anything that looks like mixi.dj or mixi.dj toolbar and "Remove" them all.
2. Under Internet options, find the setting for your "default search engine", and replace with your choice, ie Yahoo, Google, Bing, because mixi.dj has inserted itself as your new default.
3. On Windows platform, go to Control Panel and "Add Remove Programs", may say just "Programs". After all your installed programs are listed, find anything that looks like mixi.dj and "Uninstall" all of them.
For more info, you can go to the following website which I used for reference:
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/mixi-dj-search-removal/
It helped me. Good luck.
4. I also disabled the Java Add-ons because there was a security breach in one of the latest downloads. I'll reload "Java" when I read in the Forums that the breach has been fixed.
5. I've also read that IE 10 is susceptible, but so is IE 9 which I'm using.
Best advice, look VERY CAREFULLY when your computer asks whether or not to allow program to access the Internet. I probably clicked on a "Download" link that appeared legitimate but it wasn't.

Collapse -
Answer
See if this link helps ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 27, 2013 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Mixi Dj Search
Collapse -
dj mix
by josiane58 / March 28, 2013 5:52 AM PDT

Edward thank you so much Happy i had already removed babylon and browser protect the other one was not there it was not in extension neither but thanks to your link i could reset the mozila browser and its gone olalala i feel much better still don't know what went wrong, i have always used Cnet when i needed something but now i will think twice before

Collapse -
Cnet downloads is fine BUT ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 30, 2013 3:37 PM PDT
In reply to: dj mix

what you want to do is avoid the packaged installer. When you find a program you want to download use the direct link rather than the green download button.

For instance on this link to Word Counter you see the green Download Now button immediately below the program name. If you look at it it mentions "Cnet installer enabled" and has a little i in a circle. If you mouse over that information symbol it tells you about the installer.

Just beneath that green Download Now button is the link you want to use. It says simply "Direct Download Link" and using it avoids the installer that offers up all those other potentially undesired applications and toolbars.

Now, some publishers have opted out of the use of the installer and their page simply has the green Download Now button but it DOESN'T mention "Cnet installer enabled" and is safe to use.

Collapse -
MODERATOR PLEASE NOTE
by shimself / April 1, 2013 6:41 AM PDT

look cnet are in effect distributing malware, at the very least nuisanceware. Stop it now, i always trusted download.com, but I don't any more. I've spent an hour trying to get rid of this damn thing and it's still lurking around.

Collapse -
shimself
by josiane58 / April 1, 2013 9:13 PM PDT
In reply to: MODERATOR PLEASE NOTE

if u follow the steps that Edward wrote you get ride of it i got tide of it

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.