Computer Help forum

General discussion

Mix and Match Memory - timing and voltage differences?

by iain010100 / April 20, 2008 2:23 AM PDT

I want to know if I can mix and match memory.

I have an ASUS PSW-5 DH Deluxe Motherboard (Intel Socket T (LGA775)) with 2 x OCZ PC2 8000 1 GB Dual CH Titanium Alpha VX2 4-4-4-15 (2.3V) memory. I just bought 2 x G.SKILL 2x1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 5-5-5-15 (1.8V - 2.0V).

Can these two memory types co-exist with differing timing and voltage requirements? When I set memory voltage in the bios I don't have a way of specifying the memory slots, so the setting applies to all chips, but there's also an "auto" setting. Will auto automatically provide the correct voltage for each of the two memory types?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mix and Match Memory - timing and voltage differences?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mix and Match Memory - timing and voltage differences?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sorry for the repost.
by iain010100 / April 20, 2008 2:32 AM PDT

Sorry for the repost, cnet forums has dropped my post before, I thought it happened again this time.

Collapse -
by At The Opera / April 20, 2008 2:37 AM PDT

I've never really paid attention to those things with any of my systems, and I've never had a problem just adding in RAM however. So long as it's the right "type" like in this case DDR2 800, I would expect it to work.

The new RAM has slightly higher latency timings, which can have an impact on games and high end AV apps, but it's probably more than offset by the increase in RAM.

Collapse -
yes, but
by ramarc / April 20, 2008 4:01 AM PDT

your existing ram will slow down to match the speed of the new sticks. the new g.skill ram is ddr2-800 whereas your existing ocz ram is ddr2-1000. if you didn't manually configure the ocz ram for ddr2-1000 speeds, it's probably running at ddr2-800 already.

5-5-5-15 1.8v is the standard timing/voltage for ddr2-800. all of your memory has to run at the same timings and voltages, so you can either use the bios' "auto" setting or you'll have to twiddle with the timings/voltages to find what works best for you. you can probably reach ddr2-800 with 4-4-4-12 timings and 2.0v.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.