Mac OS forum

General discussion

Missing Users from Login Dialog

by louperez--2008 / November 16, 2010 3:57 AM PST

Ok here's an odd one. Using my Core2 iMac with no issues after updated to 10.6.5 (Combo Update). Last nite, I logout only to see the Logon Window come up no longer showing any users .. just "Other"? I don't even have "Other" enabled in my Login Preferences?

Making matters worse, no username/password I specify is accepted meaning I cannot logon to the machine. So I do the following:

- Boot to an external startup drive
- run Disk Utility
- the Internal HD does NOT appear on the desktop but does appear in Disk Utility
- Run Repair Disk and Repair Permissions which both make repairs.

Reboot to Internal HD. Still only the "Other" user appears. I haven't had time to do it yet but was going to try booting in Target Disk mode to see if I can access the internal HD.

If not I guess I can just do a clean install and recover from my Time Machine backups. Anyone else seeing this issue? Any other ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Missing Users from Login Dialog
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Missing Users from Login Dialog
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by zwolfinger / November 16, 2010 11:01 AM PST

I'm having the exact same problem on my 1st generation Mac Mini.

Collapse -
by zwolfinger / November 16, 2010 11:04 AM PST

oops - make that 3rd generation Mac Mini - not 1st....

Collapse -
by zwolfinger / November 17, 2010 1:10 AM PST

Based on other threads I'm following on the issue, until a fix is found, you can reinstall Snow Leopard from the DVD, then apply the 10.6.4 combo upgrade and not upgrade to 10.6.5. Should at least get you back up and running.

Collapse -
by louperez--2008 / November 18, 2010 11:58 AM PST

Reinstalled Mac OS 10.6 from media:

> Used the same username and password of my previous account
> Upon restart following the reinstall, the machine auto logged on and all my account data and files were intact
> Other user folders were on the HD but the "Accounts" Control Panel only included my account
> I deleted those user folders and recovered them from Time Machine backup which created the accounts also.
> Downloaded Mac OS 10.6.4 Combo update and other Software Updates

I'm staying with 10.6.4 on this machine for a while unless I read about some fix. This must be hardware related this iMac is my oldest Mac. I have 2 other MacBook Pros which are both upgraded to 10.6.5 and they have not experienced this issue (thankfully)!

So overall this was a recoverable situation but annoying and time consuming. Reminded me of the Windows OS horrors of past Sad

Collapse -
(NT) Well done.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 18, 2010 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: Fixed
Collapse -
Reset PRAM?
by sturner--2008 / November 19, 2010 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: Fixed

There is a possiblity that resetting the PRAM may also help.

Collapse -
What doesn't always work.
by connectionfailure / December 8, 2010 7:49 AM PST

I am in the middle of feeling the pain of this bug right now.
No, it's not a corrupt directory
No, it's not bad permissions
Reinstalling the 10.6.5 combo updater didn't fix it either.

Collapse -
Then do what the original poster did
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 8, 2010 9:38 AM PST

Reinstall the OS, in their case 10.6 from the DVD, and all will work again.

It was only then that they downloaded a combo update.

Collapse -
This fix worked for me, try this
by crissilva / February 8, 2011 4:07 PM PST

I had the same problem, no users in login window and just the "Other..." option. Try this:

1. Boot from DVD and open Utilities>Password Reset in the menu bar.
2. In the window select your HD, maybe you'll only see in the available users dropdrown list the "System Administrator (root)". Set a new password for it and save changes. Restart.
3. Login as "root" with the password you've already set.
4. Once you're logged, open System Preferences>Users and recreate the accounts using the same short names you had (you can check it out by browsing the Users folder on HD). A dialog will ask you if you want to use the existing folder for the new account, confirm and create it. Do the same for each user you had.
5. Close "root" session and try logging with the recreated users. Everything must be in place as you left it.
6. (Optionally) Disable root login from Directories Utility.

Good luck!

Collapse -
worked perfectly!
by edwardphoto / March 12, 2011 12:31 AM PST

Thx to the above poster! Crissilva

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.