AVG forum

General discussion

missing system tray icons

by deanvet / October 3, 2009 8:28 AM PDT

while following a work around for a problem with another program, I was told to uncheck all programs in msconfig and reboot. After finishing that, I now am missing some system tray icons. I have gone back to msconfig startup and there is no listing for the missing icons.

AVG 8.5 is one of the missing icons. I went to the AVG program and clicked avgtray.exe which placed the icon in the tray but it was gone again on the next bootup.

I need a way to have selected program icons in the system tray at startup.

I run XP Pro on a Dell Optiplex 745 with plenty of ram and hd space.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: missing system tray icons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: missing system tray icons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: missing system tray icons
by Dusan_AVG / October 3, 2009 7:13 PM PDT

You can fix this by either performing repair installation of AVG or by adding link to avgtray.exe to Start-> All programs-> Startup folder.

Collapse -
missing system tray icons
by deanvet / October 4, 2009 3:18 AM PDT

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have readded the missing icons to "Startup" and they appeared in the system tray. However, I have a followup question. When I opened the "Start Menu", there were about 30 programs listed with "Startup" being one of them. Why so many programs in the Start Menu?

Collapse -
That could be normal.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 4, 2009 5:53 AM PDT

Whenever you install software it is likely to install a shortcut into the Start menu > All programs list. That is so you can find the shortcut to open and run the software.

So, if you have been installing software since you obtained this computer, then those shortcuts in the Start menu are those you installed yourself.

The folder called Startup is a special folder where you can place a shortcut to a program if you want that program to load up as soon as Windows starts. We tend not to put many in there, if any, as doing that slows down the startup procedure.

You can organise the Start menu list of shortcuts if you wish into separate folders, to group the shortcuts together. Right click the Start menu button, and select Explore.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
avg system tray icon missing solved answer
by PRjayakumar / October 17, 2013 9:17 PM PDT

{right clik / new stringvalue / } "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG2014\avgui.exe"/TRAYONLY

save your tray will run at startup

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.