Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

missing sccbase.dll/slbcsp.dll files for hp printer install

by cyleet99 / December 8, 2007 11:40 PM PST

System: XP Professional recently authenticated with MS GWA (cdrom enroute) was a ?pirated? copy

I have gone as far as I am comfortable with to locate and install the required .dll files. I authenticated the Windows XP. I downloaded 21 updates. I installed XPmedic, emailed them for support, and no response after 4 days. Below is the contents of the screen that stops the HP printer installation.

"Issues stopping installation:

slbcsp.dll (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Defaults\Provider\Schlumberger)
This is a Cryptographic Service Provider manufactured by Microsoft.

sccbase.dll (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography|Defaults\Provider|Infineon)
This is a SICRYPT Base Smart Card CSP manufactured by Microsoft.

These registry keys do not exist and are required for installation to continue. Please ensure that the registry keys exist and click Retry to continue installation."

Below is the description of the locations of what I downloaded:

In WinRAR, sccbase.dll was downloaded as a zip file and extracted into 4 locations:
C:\Documents and Settings\Cindy\Application Data
C:\Program Files\sccbase.dll\sccbase.dll (says its unknown or damaged)
C:\Program Files\system32
C:\Windows\system32

In WinRAR, slbcsp.dll was downloaded as a zip file and extracted to the same locations. They are called Application Extensions.

I was able to find a version of the files needed and WinRAR verified they were from Microsoft and virus free. But my downloads are totally unsuccessful. I have crawled all over the Microsoft site to the extent that I have been accessing the DOS command prompt to re-register all the .dll files, singly and enmasse.
I did make an attempt to mess with the catroot directory as directed by one forum discussion on the Microsoft website, but DOS said my syntax was wrong. Time to stop.

So I re-registered all the .dll files with regsvr32; they all registered except for sccbase.dll and slbcsp.dll. These say:

"Load Library (sccbase.dll or slbcsp.dll) failed. The specified module could not be found."

I tried to system restore twice this week. The first time it worked okay and I was able to get rid of some of the problems I was facing with Spybot-Search and Destroy. I think this program deleted the files, or I did when it showed me 50 files that were "infected" and needed to be deleted. I could not get the files back from the program once deleted, because I had system restored and it did not restore deleted files.
The second attempt at system restore was after my Microsoft purchase where I tried to get the files by approaching Microsoft for an update or download that would possibly have these files. That was not successful, probably because the previous state was a non-compliant version.

I have gone into the Cryptographic Arena on the system with no luck. I have rebooted and rebooted and updated and rebooted and tried to install the new printer repeatedly with no luck. At this point the only thing I can hope for is that the Windows XP CD may have the files onboard.

This computer is currently running on Service Pack 2, and fully updated as far as I can tell. It runs well, but I cannot complete the installation of this HP printer. It stops and requests these two files. When I look at the .dll folder in Windows/system32, they exist and look like all the other .dll files. What can I do now?

Thanks so much for any help. I will be glad to give as much info as I can concerning this problem. (Trying to get Mama's computer up and totally functional before moving across the world at the end of this week.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: missing sccbase.dll/slbcsp.dll files for hp printer install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: missing sccbase.dll/slbcsp.dll files for hp printer install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The fix
by QuinS33 / January 9, 2008 8:30 AM PST

Okay this is not a hard problem to fix. Before I give you the instructions I want to make it CLEAR that I do not condone cracked/exploited copied of Windows or any other Microsoft product, neither does CNET so you should probably keep that to yourself from now on.

Instructions:

Firstly, delete all the copies of the dll you obtained from everywhere. There should only be one copy of each in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\ folder.

Then you need to become familiar with regedit. Its a pretty easy utility to learn, but don't mess around with stuff you could really mess stuff up. To start it up, go to the start menu, click run..., and type in regedit. We are a quarter of the way to fixing this now. Stay strong!

To get this to work you are going to need those two subkeys in your registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Defaults\Provider\Schlumberger
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Defaults\Provider\Infineon

You can get to these paths through regedit. The two subkeys (keys are the things that look like folders in regedit): "Schlumberger Cryptographic Service Provider" and "Infineon SICRYPT Base Smart Card CSP" need to be created in the Provider key. In order to do this click on the Provider key and in the Edit menu click on new... then key in the submenu. Do this twice and rename the created keys:

Schlumberger Cryptographic Service Provider
Infineon SICRYPT Base Smart Card CSP

[Halfway there now!]

Okay, lets get crazy and add some info to these keys. Click on the keys you created. You should have one value in the window to the right . It should be named (default) and it should have (value not set). This is fantastic. Right click in the window to the right with the default value. In the new menu, click on string value. A new string value will be created you need to rename this value "Image Path" then right click it, and select "modify". Set the value to C:\WINDOWS\system32\slbcsp.dll for Schlumberger and C:\WINDOWS\system32\sccbase.dll for Infineon.
[3/4 of the way done]

Two both of the created subkeys add two DWORD values the same way you added the string values. These values should be named "SigInFile" and "Type". Simply modify the Type one to have a value of one (hexidecimal or decimal ... it doesn't matter numbers 1 - 9 are the same in both bases). Done!

That should do it for your pirated copy of windows, which is probably a crippled copy of windows used for corporations with lots of workstations that doesn't require a key. If you are going to pirate OS software you NEED to learn your intermediate computer skills like regedit and batch commands etc... Don't be lazy and expect everything to work for free and then complain about some customer service not getting back to you in a timely manner. And don't post anything else here except thank you cause I just fixed your problem for FREE on my own time. Good luck.

Collapse -
Thank you
by drac87 / January 13, 2008 3:03 PM PST
In reply to: The fix

I do apreciate you trouble and input...no complaints here..thnx again

Collapse -
Thanks....
by cyleet99 / January 14, 2008 5:45 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

Thanks so much for posting a fix. Just as an update, I had received the proper disk from Microsoft by the middle of December, reinstalled Windows and ta daa! printer loaded properly. That's what I get for the spouse and the teenager "finding" someone in the neighborhood who "works on computers," then using the reboot disk he gave them. But I do appreciate your information, and yes, my computer skills are pretty basic. That's why I come to cnet.

Collapse -
Thank you and more...
by mcdbrent / January 17, 2008 12:59 AM PST

I realise that the original poster may have made it ethically awkward for you to respond, but you have obviously helped others in the process. I have a nearly identical issue (with a legal copy of Windows XP Pro SP2), and I will try your solution tonight. I assume it will work. It makes sense.

One contribution I could possibly add here is that in my Googling I also came across a Microsoft KB article (822798) that has steps for re-registering the two DLL's. I am assuming that they will accomplish the same result. If you have any suggestions, I will check here tonight before I do anything...

Collapse -
Thank You
by daniel Leroy brown / April 16, 2008 8:34 AM PDT

I have just started dabbling with my spare computer for a hobby. I really appreciate pros like you helping out us posers. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Thanks
by novakkornel / May 14, 2008 4:32 AM PDT

Many thanks for your help, I was trying to fix this problem for hours.
Thanks again!

Collapse -
Thank you Thank you Thank you
by ronnieking123 / September 7, 2008 3:12 AM PDT

You are a total superstar.

That was probably the most complex thing I have ever done on a PC, but it worked a dream.

Really appreciated.

Best regards.

Ronnie King.

Collapse -
Still confused- sorry.
by jonathantoo / October 5, 2008 8:00 AM PDT

I fully understood the fix and was attempting to do it myself, but I couldn't find the "provider" key in regedit. When I searched for it, the only thing that came up was "OLE DB Provider," so I attempted the steps as prescribed. This didn't work, of course, as I'm sure I put the new subkeys in the wrong place. Can someone tell me where the "Provider" key resides?

Also, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to download the drivers first, or is this fix creating them? Please advise. I'm concerned that I may have a hacked version of Windows too after having read all this information. I got this computer secondhand and no little to nothing about OS's.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Thank you
by antoinettemessina / October 8, 2008 2:56 PM PDT

Thank you for posting the fix. I actually used it for a VALID copy of Windows that was stripped down for a smaller install size. These two files were missing as a consequence. My scanner won't work without them. So feel good that you posted a fix that not only unsavory folks will use.

Collapse -
Changes made to registry Not being saved?
by MyronJames / November 8, 2008 2:15 AM PST

Hi,

I create the Reg entries as your article indicated. But they are not staying in the Registry. I did it twice just to be sure.

please help if you can

Thanx

Collapse -
Missing " ENUM" registry for HP printer install
by cid909 / January 7, 2009 2:29 AM PST

I am unable to install my HP printer due to missing ENUM registry access. Any help is appreciated on how to fix this problem.I have Vista Home Preminum. thanks

Collapse -
Thank You
by ALUNPG / January 14, 2009 1:16 AM PST

Many thanks for this bit of information, it was very educational and reminded the owner that the software needs to be correct.

Collapse -
Thank you!!! Gracias!!!
by saulbretado / January 30, 2009 11:52 PM PST

Works great for me.
Thank you so very much!

Collapse -
Another thanks
by Osprey4 / April 11, 2009 4:07 AM PDT

Quin:

Appreciate your taking time to post this. Another HP quirk is solved!!

Collapse -
ENUM missing
by katielynn1118 / May 18, 2009 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Another thanks

I corrected all the other registry keys, but this is the only one I couldn't fix. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Collapse -
Worked for me, ty
by jasoncostello42 / April 13, 2009 4:41 AM PDT

This worked for my on my legit copy of XP Pro that I had slipstreamed with nLite so that I could make myself feel cool. I don't know what service I had taken out to cause these registry values not appear, any ideas? Thanks for all the help everyone gives.

Collapse -
Thank You
by akachuck / July 15, 2009 12:26 PM PDT

Wow - thank you so much. I have a pared down version of windows because i didn't have much room on my mac. sometimes i need things that i took out, but this is the first time i fixed the problem all by myself. your instructions were really clear and now my new printer works on the windows side and the mac side of my computer.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Collapse -
Thank Ykou
by Memamine / January 15, 2008 3:38 PM PST

I found the answer I think I need here. I have a laptop with Vista. My printer (hp wireless). I was printing fine then it just stopped recognizing the printer. I uninstalled software. When I tried to reinstall I received the error message: missing registry keys. slbcsp.dll, sccbase.dll, gpkcsp.dll & Enum. I followed the instructions for the slbcsp and sccbase. Hopefully this will work.
Anyway. I really appreciate the time taken to respond to the previous persons problem. It may help me.

Collapse -
Vista lost gpkcsp.dll and Enum (?) which I need to print
by Memamine / January 16, 2008 3:36 PM PST

I tryed to install Microsoft Office 97. It really messed some things up. I lost sccbase.dll and slbcsp.dll also. I was able to reinstall with the help from this forum. I am also missing the Enum (don't know what that is) and the gpkcsp.dll. I haven't been able to figure out how to reinstall these. Can someone help me. The printer is wireless and so is my laptop. It was printing just fine. I would really like to get it going again.
Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Vista losing dll files
by David Kaatz / February 18, 2008 9:13 AM PST

Did anyone ever get an answer to the missing gpkcsp.dll and enum files? I also think this came from trying to load Office 97 onto the computer.

Collapse -
missing dll's
by ziffdiff / February 21, 2008 12:04 AM PST
In reply to: Vista losing dll files

for gpkcsp.dll do all the same steps as above.

Use the following;

Gemplus GemSAFE Card CSP v1.0
Image path C:\WINDOWS\system32\gpkcsp.dll
sigInFile 0
Type 1

I don't know about the enum?

good luck

Collapse -
cant find this in my regedit
by jcarr77 / July 18, 2009 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: missing dll's

Gemplus GemSAFE Card CSP v1.0

I did the other ones, but this is the only one left so I can get my printer to work, thanks!

Collapse -
hey ziffdiff
by jcarr77 / July 18, 2009 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: missing dll's

I can't find this in my registry to add (Gemplus GemSAFE Card CSP v1.0) please help, thanks!

Collapse -
Missing "ENUM" registry key
by lguy99 / September 18, 2008 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista losing dll files

When I transferred my M Office from my old XP machine to my new Vista machine I had to rebuild the registry keys for slbcsp.dll sccbase.dll and gpkcsp.dll. I need to rebuild the registry key for something called ENUM as well. Anybody know what this puppy is?

Collapse -
"transferred my M Office from my old XP machine to my new"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 10:40 AM PDT

"transferred my M Office from my old XP machine to my new Vista machine"

This is very odd. Here I used my Microsoft Office CD and it installed just fine. Are you trying to move an installed Office?
Bob

Collapse -
transferring office from xp to vista
by lguy99 / September 21, 2008 1:09 AM PDT

The MOffice was installed on the old XP machine and I transferred it to the new Vista machine. Eveything seems to work fine except that I can't install the HP Photosmart software without re-building some regkeys. Now that I have successfully rebuilt the regkeys for the the specifiied .dll files it appears that the ENUM error is caused by Vista not letting the install program have access to the ENUM registry. I tried to grant "user" and "everybody" full control access to this registry but Vista won't let me even though my account is the administrator account.

Collapse -
Can you tell ...
by Kees Bakker / September 21, 2008 1:12 AM PDT

what exactly you have done. I doubt if it's a supported way of doing things. What version of MS Office are we talking about, by the way?

Kees

Collapse -
doesn't seem to be unique
by lguy99 / September 22, 2008 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Can you tell ...

I have MS office 2003. If you search on slbcsp.dll in google you will find many many entries where the user is unable to install external device software for exactly the same reasons as me. Perhaps we are all going about it the wrong way (I truly am not very good at this stuff) but it does seem to be a problem shared by more than a few.

Collapse -
How did you rebuild slbcsp.dll and sccbase.dll?
by teeks012 / December 18, 2008 12:45 AM PST

I am having a problem installing my HP printer to my eeePC laptop. I get a message saying that the slbcsp.dll and sccbase.dll registry keys are missing. To save space, I did an nLite install of XP Pro, so that is my OS. I did find it odd because when I looked for the .dll files I did find them in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. Can you tell me how you rebuilt the registry keys?

Collapse -
registry rebuild
by lguy99 / December 18, 2008 5:47 AM PST

further back in this thread are step by step instructions for rebuilding these two registries. I followed the instructions and it worked (I still had the ENUM registry problem though)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.