Windows Legacy OS

Question

missing program menu, right click "start" explorer hosed

by explorer2012 / February 4, 2013 2:27 AM PST

ESET anti-virus found 4 infected files which were deleted. Examination of the machine shows a few problems.

In the root of C drive, there are several directories that are composed of strings of characters. Some of these strings are 30 characters long. I'm assuming these directories were created by windows updates over time. One of these directories is:

c:\980b8ba83e25aa813c

and it contains a subdirectory called "Start Menu". This Start Menu gives "access denied" error if I attempt to enter it. The permissions "read only" and "hidden" are unchecked.

Now -- To the point -- If I right-click the "Start" button and select "explore", XP complains:

----------------

C:\980b8ba83e25aa813c\StartMenu is not accessible

Access is denied.

----------------

So .... something has taken the explorer pointer from C:\windows and has set it to C:\980b8ba83e25aa813c\StartMenu.

Also, all the menu items in my Start --> Programs menu are gone. Clicking on the "programs" entry shows: (Empty)

Any ideas on how to rebuild this beast?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: missing program menu, right click "start" explorer hosed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: missing program menu, right click "start" explorer hosed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You can fix a lot of things but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2013 2:33 AM PST

Some folk get upset as they have to dive in and fix it item by item. That is, the scanners and such will remove most malware but will not undo the damage.

-> The folder you are noting does not appear to be useful. Did you try a new user account? I might treat this like a XP CORRUPT PROFILE (see google) and hope for the best.

But if the OS gets dinged up this bad you know the real solution.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I'd back up any data you want to keep & restore
by wpgwpg / February 4, 2013 2:37 AM PST

After backing up your data (to an external hard drive or flash drive), I'd restore to factory settings. If you don't have the discs to do that, you might be able to get them from your manufacturer. Should you have to reinstall, be sure to get the drivers you'll need before reinstalling, especially the one for the network adapter. Also be sure you have your antivirus handy.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.