Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Missing Printers in Printers and Faxes - Spooler is running!

by probablecause / November 2, 2007 5:04 AM PDT

I have had a problem for a while now and can't figure it out. My main computer which has my printers installed on it now does not show any printers. However, I can see them under "View Workgroup Computers" as they are shared (network) printers. My problem is that I cannot install any printers nor can I see any in the Printers and Faxes. I can print and they show up under printers to select from programs but because I can't see them, I am having trouble updating programs like Adobe. Adobe fails making a reference to the printers.

I checked the print spooler under Services and it is running. The dependencies are also running.

I have stopped and restarted it but the "Printer and Faxes" screen is still blank. I have no viruses and have scanned for them with Norton, Trend Micro, and even ran Hijackthis. I tried using a Windows print spooler cleaner but that barfed and would not work.

I also tried creating a new user and gave that user Admin Rights/Permissions and the printers still can't be seen.

I tried to add printers via the Microsoft Windows Network and I was told that I did not have administraive priv. to do it. This makes no sens since I am the admin. on my local computer and no settings have changed to cause this type of error message.

Any suggestions?

Brendan

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Missing Printers in Printers and Faxes - Spooler is running!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Missing Printers in Printers and Faxes - Spooler is running!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you completed this article?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2007 5:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
I don't have Malware or the Service" LexBce Server"
by probablecause / November 2, 2007 7:01 AM PDT

I have already scanned my computer and there was nothing found. I read the microsoft article regarding the "LexBce Server" in the Services but that entry is not even a service that is listed. I don't have any other Registry entries. I am trying to avoid scrubbing my printers via the registry and starting again, but maybe that is the road I have to take.

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2007 7:05 AM PDT

I had hoped for some details to narrow it down. I'm not alluding that malware is on the machine I'm writing that it's a common damage left behind (removing malware does not undo it's deeds) and I've seen it when owners tinker with the stock default accounts.

Your reply didn't offer new clues so I'll have to wait for more or ponder what I have to work with.

Bob

Collapse -
by probablecause / November 2, 2007 8:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Good luck.

What clues do you need? The links that I was given to follow did not resolve anything although they might help most. I have heard that Lexmark causes problems but most responses are to simply restart the spooler. The one link lead me to the LexBce Server service which I do not have running nor is it listed on the Services tab.

I was hoping that there would be something other than deleting registry keys because I then have to reinstall the printers and go to each networked computer and re-install them. Kind of a pain.

Collapse -
Such is the way of malware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2007 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

Sorry, no quick fix so far. Hopefully you can share any ideas why you think it's went missing. Account changes, spyware scans, registry fix programs (this list may never end) but any event or clue could help.

Bob

Collapse -
Temporary Solution
by probablecause / March 29, 2008 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

I unplugged my printers, usb cable, power from wall, and all, and then restarted my machine with them uninstalled. I then plugged them back in and they appeared. So far, no problem. I have heard that the Lexmark is the problem child here but don't know.

Brendan

Collapse -
More on missing printers
by AJMsw / January 1, 2008 8:14 AM PST

I get the same problem. Printes fall off printer folder but still work under individual programs i.e. Word/Excel but can't print direct from e-mail or IE. Not related to one computer. Only fix found yet is to re-install windows which might last few days and then same thing happens.
Microsoft don't want to know about the problem. Hope someone does.

Collapse -
2 printers missing form Printers and Faxes window
by ejk010 / March 29, 2008 9:43 AM PDT

I have the same problem... that two installed and somewhat usable printers are missing from the Printers and Faxes window on one (of two) of my XP machines. The "Add Printer" icon is the only item in the window and that doesn't respond either.
They show up on the other PC which is on the same wired LAN. I did add Kaspersky Internet Security recently, and maybe that's a contributer. When I try to print from an Internet Explorer window, I get a msg stating, "An error occurred during this operation".
Anyone have any ideas?
jjinsofla@hotmail.com

Collapse -
missing printers
by ejk010 / July 6, 2008 1:10 AM PDT

From computer (1), I could still print from my Microsoft Office products, but other printing was prohibited. A non-functional ?add printer? icon was the sole occupant of my "printers and faxes" window.

I searched the internet for solutions, seeing that others shared this problem as well with no effective solutions. Reimaging (the OS) seemed the only answer; lots of software, big job, there had to be a better solution.

Looking at my computer properties, I noticed that I had not yet installed SP3 on my XP OS as I didn?t trust it when it was first released. I downloaded and installed the service pack, rebooted & opened the "printers and faxes" window to see the problem resolved. All the missing printers and fax items appeared and are so far, fully functional.

Collapse -
missing printers - SP3
by elbrucethree / July 7, 2008 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: missing printers

This one worked for me. Thanks ejk010!

Collapse -
Possible solution
by viper488 / March 9, 2011 2:14 AM PST

I know I'm reviving an old thread here but I stumbled across this thread while having the exact same issue. For anyone else with a similar problem I may have the solution.

It turned out to be a missing dll from the system32 directory. printui.dll to be exact.

I replaced the missing file with one from another computer (both XP SP3) and everything worked fine. Did not even require a reboot.

Rob A.

Collapse -
Worked for me...
by clum1 / August 3, 2011 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible solution

I also had a defunct Lexmark printer on the system I had this problem with. Copied printui.dll from another PC and all now fine.
Seems to be a common problem (with Lexmark the common denominator) as I searched a good few similar posts before I found this one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.