Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

"missing operating system"

by langer95 / November 5, 2011 9:02 AM PDT

Every so often I get the black screen of death saying "missing operating system". I read that I need to do the starup repairs that might fix the problem but I have no clue how to get to this startup repair place. Can anyone help me?

langer95 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "missing operating system"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "missing operating system"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by langer95

Collapse -
It is usually F8
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 5, 2011 10:41 PM PDT

The options are usually in F8. When you start the computer and the BIOS displays its POST, (Power On Self Test), messages then just before Windows itself begins to load, start tapping the F8 key gently, once a second until the Safe Mode list of options display.

If you miss the timing and Windows begins to load, wait until you get to the Welcome screen where you select which user or enter your password, then open the icon bottom right of the screen to select Restart and try again. Or if you don't see the welcome screen, wait for Windows to fully load before logging off and shutting down/restarting.

It might help if you said what this black screen says.

You may need the Windows 7 Setup DVD to perform repairs.

Mark

Collapse -
"Missing Operating System"
by langer95 / November 6, 2011 10:39 AM PST
In reply to: It is usually F8

Hi Mark, the message says "missing operating system". When I bought my first HP tower it died after 3 weeks. Staples said it was the hard drive and they couldn't open it so they gave me a new one. Now it's happening to this tower but not every day. I did read something about doing a startup repair of sorts and that should solve the problem. But then someone else wrote that they did that and it corrupted so many files and they had to do the CHKDSK to get everything working again.
HP didn't bother to give me the Windows 7 Setup DVD. Last week I had to do a restore so I clicked on it and the next thing that I saw was that the hard drive had reformatted and it was bringing it back to factory settings. It did do that so HP can't be bothered sending the DVD. The last time I asked for it they told me that I'd have to pay for it. I hate HP. I had one tower that lasted for years and it was great but outdated. After these 2 incidents and calling their help desk I'll never buy another one from them again.

Collapse -
missing operating system
by langer95 / November 7, 2011 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: It is usually F8

Hi Mark,
I followed the instructions by clicking on F8 and then that dialogue box showed up.I clicked on "startup repair" and it did something that took no time at all. I went to view the results but have no idea what it meant. I just saw the number one show up in different areas so I'm assuming it did repair that missing operating system problem. Then it brought me back to either "shut down" or "restart" so I did the latter. Maybe it's my imagination that it started up faster than usual. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this resolved the problem. Would you mind if i write to you again if I see "missing operating system" again?
Elsa

Collapse -
Answer
To add to what Mark said.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 5, 2011 10:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
"missing operating system"
by langer95 / November 6, 2011 10:50 AM PST

Now I can't remember if I already sent my reply or not so please forgive me if I'm repeating myself. I went to that website and read all about it but it doesn't say how to get there. Then on another website it showed a dialogue box but it never said what steps I had to take to find that box. It frustrated me because I was clicking all over the place trying to find that dialgoue box and I couldn't find it. Maybe I should search online tomorrow morning and if I find it I'll post the link here.
I found this information below from a forum. Maybe you can help me figure this out. It was the same error message that I was getting - "missing operating system". Here it is:
drive was listed anyway). But when it had finished scanning, I checked to see
what repairs it had done, and if they were successful. The ONLY repair it made
was to the boot sector: it had been "corrupted" and the repair was successful.
As soon as I rebooted, as it required me to do, my PC booted as normal; and now
here I am writing this post to tell about it.</font></div><div><font face="Times New Roman">________________________________________________</font></div><div><font face="Times New Roman"></font> </div><div><font face="Times New Roman">Elsa</font></div>

Collapse -
Re: startup repair
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 6, 2011 4:40 PM PST
Collapse -
missing opeating system
by langer95 / November 7, 2011 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: Re: startup repair

I guess a bit of me is afraid to go into the BIOS for fear that I screw it up. But both of you sound very confident so I'm going to shut down and try it. Thanks for your help.
Elsa

Collapse -
May I ask
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 6, 2011 6:41 PM PST

May I ask, is everything fixed now? I can't tell from your reply to Kees.

If so, time to create some Recovery Disks. Since HP didn't supply the full DVD may be they recommended that you create these disks as soon as you started using the computer?

Mark

Collapse -
Missing operating system
by langer95 / November 7, 2011 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: May I ask

Hi Mark,
The first thing that I did when I brought my computer home was to create the 3 recovery disks. When I had this missing operating system a couple of weeks ago I installed the first of the 3 disks. It reformatted the hard drive and restored it back to the factory settings. It never asked for #2 or #3 disk.
I am printing out the instructions from that webpage and then I'll start the process. Thanks.
Elsa

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.