Windows 7 forum

Question

Missing modul when booting up

by confusedgramma / November 10, 2012 6:48 PM PST

I just recently got this message upon starting up my computer:
The specified modul could not be found: C:\Users\Sally\Appdata\Local\Microsoft Help\ Microsoft Games\bhebvd.dll
The only program change in the past two months was an update dowload for Java.
Any suggestions on what's going on?
I've got a Dell Inspiron 580S, Windows 7 Home Premium, 6GB [RAM], 64-bit OS.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Missing modul when booting up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Missing modul when booting up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: missing dll
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 10, 2012 7:00 PM PST

I'd go into the MSCONFIG program, visit the startup tab and see if there's anything (any program run at startup) that would explain that message. If so, uncheck it and the message will be gone.

Kees

Collapse -
missing dll
by confusedgramma / November 10, 2012 9:39 PM PST
In reply to: Re: missing dll

Thanks, Kees.
Just went into MSCONFIG, as you suggested, but, when I saw the list.... I don't have a clue as to what should be running, and what shouldn't be running at startup. I tried to copy the list, to post, but it didn't work. There are 21 files on the list.
Sally

Collapse -
Re: Msconfig
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 10, 2012 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: missing dll

I've got 10 in my list, and that's probably more than you should have.

Indeed, you can't copy it, so you need to type it yourself. Just a list of 21 lines, and the info from the leftmost column is enough for a first round. Looking forward to it.

Kees

Collapse -
missing dll
by confusedgramma / November 10, 2012 11:24 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Msconfig

thanks so much for doing this!
Here's the list with the first two leftmost columns:
Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager - Adobe Systems
Apple Push - Apple, Inc
DataSafeOnline - Unknown [Dell Data]
Default Manager - Microsoft Corp
Dell Dock - Stardock Corp
DellSupport Center - Unknown
HO Digital Imaging - Hewlett-Packard
hpwuSchd Application - Hewlett-Packard
IconUtility - Alcor Micro Corp
Inter® Common User Interface - Intel Corporation
iTunes - Apple, Inc
Java (TM) Platform Se Auto Updater 2.0 - Sun Microsystems
Microsoft Games - Unknown
Microsoft OneNote - Microsoft Corp
Microsoft® Windows Mobile® Device - Microsoft Corp
NETGEARGenie - Unknown [this is my router]
QuickTime - Apple, Inc
Realtek HD Audio Manager - Realtek Semiconductor
Roxio Burn - Unknown

Collapse -
Re: startup programs
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 12:01 AM PST

Since both the error message and this list mention Microsoft Games, that's the prime suspect as the cause of the error message. Just uncheck and reboot.
Unchecked items will stay in the list. If anything strange occurs, just check again and reboot.

The other items:
- Intel things should stay (managing your video card, probably)
- Realtek thing should stay (managing your sound card)
- Netgear thing is doubtful, a router works without software. Unckh
- Apple things cn stay if you use iTunes
- Dell things should stay, but DataSafeOnline only if you use it
- Microsoft OneNote is part of MS Office: do you really use that? If not, uncheck it
- Microsoft Default Manager: rather doubtful. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/microsoft-default-manager-in-windows-7-faq tells more. It can safely be disabled, especially if you don't use the Bing Bar in Internet Explorer
- Microsoft mobile: only useful to connect to a Zune or a Windows phone. Do you have those?
- Netgear: routers work without any additional software. Uncheck if you don't use the functions described in http://www.netgear.com/landing/genie/default.aspx
- Microsoft Mobile Device: link to a Zune or a Windows Mobile phone? If not, it's not necessary.
- HP software is OK (you've got an HP all-in-one?), although I see no need for hpwuSched to check for updates in the driver daily
- Adobe and Java updater don't harm and are useful, although you could consider to uninstall all Java stuff if you don't need it (most people don't)

Kees

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/microsoft-default-manager-in-windows-7-faq

Collapse -
And ..
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 12:02 AM PST
In reply to: Re: startup programs

I don't see any antivirus running. Do you have one? Is it active?

Kees

Collapse -
missing dll
by confusedgramma / November 11, 2012 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: Re: startup programs

WOW!!! Thank you so very much for taking the time to go through all this. I did what you said, and....it's fixed!!! You're a genius!
BTW - yes, I have Norton Internet Security running all the time. Why? Should that have shown up in the startup menu? I just opened up the program, and it says it did a Live Update 11 minutes ago.
Thanks, again, Kees. I really appreciate your help!

Collapse -
Re: startup dll
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 3:30 AM PST

Three things to add.

1. I don't use Norton, I use (the free version of) Avast. And that runs from this list. But if Norton runs in another way, that's OK of course. I just asked because I noticed.
2. The more you uncheck, the less programs run when you start your PC, the faster it boots. That's why it pays off to keep the list small.
3. bhebvd.dll is a rather strange filename. I googled it and found only some 10 hits. All said it was a Trojan (meant to intercept your online banking data). That's a common cause of this message, indeed. The Trojan installs itself somewhere and puts a start command in startup list. Then an antivirus program (your Norton?) finds and deletes it, but leaves the 'orphan' shortcut in that list. And that gives an error message, because it references a file that doesn't exist any more.

Anyway, it seems you're fine now.

Kees

Collapse -
missing dll
by confusedgramma / November 11, 2012 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: Re: startup dll

Once again - thank you!
I just looked up Avast, and saw that I can run it as a secondary antivirus program for awhile, to make sure I like it better than Norton. Who knew?? I think I better start taking some computer classes. Your directions and comments have been extremely thorough and clear. Would have been lost without them!

Collapse -
Re: Avast
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 11, 2012 5:56 AM PST

I certainly didn't intend to talk you off Norton. I was just trying to explain why I asked about you using an antivirus. Good to see, of course, you did.

And a warning: it's not advised to run to different antivirus programs in 'real time', that is scanning each and every file you open or web page you read or mail you receive. It's OK to have one real time and use the other for the occasional (monthly?) scan of everything on your hard disk.

And, talking about a monthly scan, do you already use Malwarebytes' Anti Malware (MBAM), from http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5756 . It's highly recommended on these forums because it finds other things than Norton (or Avast).

Kees

Collapse -
Avast
by confusedgramma / November 11, 2012 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Avast

will try the MBAM - great!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.