Computer Help

General discussion

Missing internet options

by DawnW / August 31, 2004 8:11 AM PDT

Hi: I have Windows XP. The other day I was erasing some programs that I thought were no longer needed on my computer, and must have erased something very important by accident. When I go to Network and Internet Connections now to delete the cookies and temp internet files, Internet Options is no longer there. The only thing there now is Network Connections. Is there any way to get this back??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Dawn

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Missing internet options
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Missing internet options
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Missing internet options
by Cursorcowboy / August 31, 2004 9:02 AM PDT

Can't access IE settings on the system because you're told to contact your administrator?

This can happen if you use "Spybot-S&D" in advanced mode, Tools, IETweaks, and untick the checkboxe Lock IE control panel . . .. You'll need to close IE and perhaps restart Windows for the setting change to take affect.

Collapse -
by DawnW / August 31, 2004 10:54 PM PDT

Thanks so much for the help. I haven't gotten a message like that, the icon is just missing for internet options where it used to be. I do have Spybot, though, so I am going to try that anyway and see. I have a feeling I erased something important........... That is the last time I will erase programs without knowing for sure what they are! Will let you know if I figure it out. Dawn

Collapse -
Dawn, Are You Looking In The Right Place?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 31, 2004 1:11 PM PDT

There are a couple of way to access the "Internet Options" screen for Internet Explorer. First, while in Internet Explorer, click on "Tools", choose "Internet Options". When that opens on the "General" tab, you should have the option to delete "Temporary Internet Files" and "Cookies".

If you want to access the same screen from elsewhere, click on "Start-Control Panel, then double click on the "Internet Options" icon.(NOT the "Network Connections" icon) If "Internet Options" isn't there, then maybe you've deleted a file called "inet.cpl". If that's the case, it will need to be replaced in order to access the Control Panel/Internet Options icon. I believe there should be one in one of the Service Pack/Windows Update installation backups which can be extracted/copied to the "C\Windows\System32" folder where it belongs. Doing a search for the file name should bring up a few.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Dawn, Are You Looking In The Right Place?
by DawnW / August 31, 2004 11:17 PM PDT

Thank you for your help. I tried what you said - start, control panel, then double click internet options icon. Internet options is there, but then I click on that I come to the screen where it says to pick a task or pick a control panel icon. That is where the Internet Options is missing from. It used to Internet Options and Network Connections, and now only says Network Connections. I hope that makes sense. So, basically, I can get to the steps you said, but it is right after that that it is missing. Should I still try what you suggested? Thanks. I really appreciate the help. Dawn

Collapse -
Re: Dawn, Are You Looking In The Right Place?
by DawnW / August 31, 2004 11:39 PM PDT

Hi again: I ran HiJack This. Are you two familiar with this? I ran across it by accident. I am not really sure what it is. Sorry, I am such a newbie, and my kids are not real knowledgeable either. It says there are two things missing, but I am not sure if it could be either of them. If you are familiar with it, let me know and I will copy it and tell you what it says. Thanks - Dawn

Collapse -
by billzhills / August 31, 2004 10:32 PM PDT

Dawn,

Good suggestions on the other posts, but...

By "erasing some programs that I thought were no longer needed on my computer," DO you mean uninstall or delete?

Deleting Programs is a strict no-no. Windows and installed applications use a data base called the registry. Uninstalling keeps the registry in order. Deleting causes confusion.

Let us know if you Deleted or Uninstalled unneeded programs. This will direct the proper trouble shooting steps.

Bill

Collapse -
by DawnW / September 1, 2004 12:14 AM PDT

Hi: Well, I was in add/remove programs erasing things that we no longer used, and that is where I think it happened, so I would assume that means it is gone for good? I think I highlighted and erased the wrong thing, but I have no clue what. I don't know if maybe this is related or not but I installed Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster last week, and was getting a message every day when I turned on my computer that someone was trying to change the internet explorer home page. I would click on the "keep old value" button but the message would just keep coming back, and came back again today when I turned it on. Now I see that internet explorer says "about blank." I wonder if it was hijacked? I don't know if that would have anything to do with this problem or not, but everything else seems to be working okay. Please let me know what you think. I am assuming I erased it and it is gone for good. Not good!! Thanks - Dawn

Collapse -
by DawnW / September 1, 2004 7:55 AM PDT

Problem solved!! I did the IE fix and it worked! Internet options is back. Thanks for everyone's help. I really appeciate it.

Dawn

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2004 11:29 PM PDT

I wonder if this is a side effect of SP2?

If you can get to Tools, Internet Options from Internet Explorer, my advice is to not fix this and use the access from IE instead.

I'm not at my XP machine at the moment, but I wonder if this moved to the new Security Panel?

Bob

Collapse -
by billzhills / August 31, 2004 11:47 PM PDT

Bob,

Just checked XP new install w/SP2 and Internet Options are in the Control Panel.

If Dawn "deleted" programs would System File checker restore needed system files?

Bill

Collapse -
Two ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2004 11:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Two ideas.
by DawnW / September 1, 2004 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Two ideas.

Okay, I am checking out both right now. Thank you - Dawn

Collapse -
by DawnW / September 1, 2004 12:16 AM PDT

Yes, at least I can still get to it that way to erase the cookies and temp internet files, so maybe it won't matter. Just is what I am hoping. Thanks!!

Collapse -
about blank pest?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2004 12:31 AM PDT

First, I typo'd and the correct name was "inetcpl.cpl".

Second, "about blank" is a known pest. I'm unsure if your machine has this pest, but if it does, please search the Security Forum for instructions on how to remove it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: about blank pest?
by DawnW / September 4, 2004 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: about blank pest?

Thank you, Bob. I am going to look on there right now. Dawn

Collapse -
Dawn, Search For A File....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 1, 2004 12:52 AM PDT

...named "inetcpl.cpl". There should be quite a few listed and the important one should be in the "C\Windows\System32" folder. As I mentioned earlier, it's possible the "inetcpl.cpl" file in the System32 folder is either missing or corrupted. I suggest replacing it with another one on the computer. There should be another correct version in either of the two locations below:

C:\I386 folder
C:\Windows\System32\Dllcache folder

Replacing the corrupted version with the version above should get it done.

Of course, if you want, you can leave things alone and simply use the Internet Explorer access method.

Hope this helps.

Grifr

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.