Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Missing hibernate and stanby option

by spnutball405 / August 5, 2007 10:39 AM PDT

I just reformatted my laptop with WIndows XP Pro and now when I close the lid of the laptop it just stays on and doesn't go into standby mode. I went to the power options to try to change it but I don't even have the option to change it. It only has "do nothing" for "when I close the lid" Also, the standby is grayed out when I click start and then shut down. Am I missing a driver for this option or is it something else? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Missing hibernate and stanby option
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Missing hibernate and stanby option
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup it's drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2007 11:25 AM PDT

Microsoft doesn't supply them. Look for the driver cd that came with the laptop.

OR you had XP Home and installed XP Pro. That's easier to fix. Install the maker's os then slip in the XP Pro CD and upgrade the OS.

Bob

Collapse -
Happen to know which driver?
by spnutball405 / August 5, 2007 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup it's drivers.

I had Media Center Edition that came with the laptop. Reformatted with original disk and it didn't boot up at all. SO original OS boot disk has errors I think. I installed drivers, not all though. Not sure which one would be correct because half way through reinstalling drivers, it caused extreme lag and I had to reformat again as system didn't respond afterwards.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2007 12:36 PM PDT

Here's why. This is the model number supplied -> "laptop."

If you want others to help you find a driver, you may want to heed the words in red.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by spnutball405 / August 5, 2007 12:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

Thanks. I installed the driver. But now I have hibernate and stanby feature grayed out. And still no other choice in the power options.

The laptop model number is Toshiba A105-S4114.

Collapse -
Next time the model line name too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2007 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

After too much looking I see they don't have the drivers for download to fix this issue.

Time to call and ask for a restore CD.

Bob

Collapse -
CD
by spnutball405 / August 5, 2007 1:03 PM PDT

The restore CD, I have the original that came with the laptop, but it doesn't have it probably. So I should call Microsoft then? I'm going to be calling Toshiba tomorrow to try to get a new restore CD since their CD seems faulty.

Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.