Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Question

Missing folders in Outlook 2010

by Helen Hall / February 2, 2012 8:32 AM PST

I'm running Windows 7, Outlook 2010.

Recently when I looked at my email, which I do all the time when I'm home (I leave my computer on all the time unless I have to reboot for some reason), I realised that some of my folders under the Inbox were missing. I can still see them on the server (in webmail) so I know they are there somewhere!

Any ideas how I can make them reappear in Outlook?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Missing folders in Outlook 2010
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Missing folders in Outlook 2010
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try the Inbox Repair tool in Outlook
by KenHusveg / February 2, 2012 9:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Easily Repair PST file To Make It Accessible
by jenjeniffer / July 30, 2012 5:46 PM PDT

If you are unable to access your folders and other email-items in outlook 2010, this means that your PST get corrupted and so becomes inaccessible, firstly you need to take help of scanpst.exe repair tool which is the inbuilt repair tool provided by Microsoft. This tool can efficiently solve all of your minor PST corruptions but if PST files is corrupted due to some severe reason such as oversized PST file or any other, then you can efficiently use PST Repair Tool which is very advanced and complete repair tool that repairs all of the damaged or corrupted PST File that becomes accessible due to several corruption reasons. You have to just free download PST Repair Tool to show the demo of how the software can actually works to repair the corrupted PST File. For More Information , you can visit : http://www.inboxrepairtoolscanpstexe.com

Collapse -
Re: repair pst
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 30, 2012 6:01 PM PDT

A third party repair tool, like the one advertized above, might be the solution in certain cases and certainly worth a try if other methods fail. It's essential that it has a free demo mode, so you only pay for its use if that shows it will be effective.

But with a pst-file containing important information, it's essential that it's included in any users regular backup scheme. Then, if info is missing due to some corruption, it can easily be retrieved from the uncorrupted backup. That's better then trying a recovery of a corrupted backup.

Kees

Collapse -
by Miriam6317 / January 31, 2013 3:09 PM PST

So what are you going to do then

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Outlook folders
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 2, 2012 6:26 PM PST

In the most common implementation of Outlook (used in companies) the Inbox is on the Exchange server and issues like this are handled by the help desk.

In the next most common implementation (pop3) there's an Inbox on the webserver and an Inbox on the client. Those are different objects on different machines. I don't think they will be identical by definition and automatically.

Less common implementations are using imap or a hotmail connector. I've got no experience with that.

Which of the four applies in your case?

Kees

Collapse -
I have an IMAP account
by Helen Hall / February 2, 2012 11:23 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Outlook folders

Sorry I should have mentioned this. Since I upgraded to Office 2010 and Windows 7, I've had an IMAP account which apparently is why I can view all my folders on the server (not the Outlook Data File folders which I barely understand the meaning of). As mentioned, I can see the missing folders there.

I've just run the Inbox Repair Tool as in Ken's reply but to no avail. (I did the 'fix it for me' method.)

Collapse -
Answer
No luck
by Helen Hall / February 2, 2012 11:25 PM PST

Thanks Ken, I did the 'fix it for me' method but nothing has changed (see more in my reply to Kees).

Collapse -
Missing folders in Outlook 2010
by KenHusveg / February 3, 2012 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: No luck

A couple of more things if you haven't tried them already.

If your not finding your folders anywhere in the menu tree, click the View option tab on the menu bar and have a look around. Also try the Office Button and review Account Settings options.

If all else fails, (and all email is still on the server) remove and re-install the IMAP account. Backup Outlook first. Here's a guide for a Gmail account and Outlook 2010 worth a look.

Add Your Gmail Account to Outlook 2010 Using IMAP
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17248/set-up-gmail-imap-in-outlook-2010/

Good luck!

Collapse -
Lateral thinking?
by Helen Hall / February 5, 2012 8:37 PM PST

I looked under View and also Account Settings but didn't find anything I could do (or knew to do.)

I was investigating the other option (reinstalling the IMAP account) but while I was looking at my missing folders which are still visible on the server, I had an idea - I created a new folder in Outlook (to replace 1 of the missing ones) and then on the server (webmail) moved an email from the missing one to the new folder. The email is there - in the new folder in Outlook. I have 2 missing folders with 7 sub-folders under 1 of them so not too many to move - I can just check the boxes and move all emails at once for each folder. If the missing folders ever magically turn up again, I'll delete them (I've slightly changed the name of the new folder) or I can delete them on the server.

Not a text book solution but I guess if it works . . . unless it's something that will recur because I haven't solved the real problem?

Collapse -
Answer
files disappearing in Outlook
by lindapolk / June 6, 2012 12:51 AM PDT

I accidentally discovered where they are hidden when I just gave up and decided to create new folders. When I clicked on the folders icon (left of listed emails) and told it to make new ones- there they were. All I had to do was click on the list, and everything went back into place - and I didn't even need my magic wand Happy or the sofware that was suggested by others Laugh .

Collapse -
Whatever works!
by Helen Hall / June 7, 2012 7:40 AM PDT

Not sure what you mean by 'listed emails' Linda. Maybe you just expanded the Inbox? i.e. did you click on the white arrow to open the Inbox (which turns the arrow black) and reveal the folders you'd created (and lost)? This might be possible if you're new to Outlook and not familiar with how it works. Well anyway, at least it worked!

Helen

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.