Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Missing D drive

by KevinBtweekiN / March 3, 2012 5:52 PM PST

i looked back 10 pages in the forum for this , but found nothing .

first off :
Dell 8300 from 02-03 : 2.8 ghz , 2.5 ram blah blah blah

So I've been trying to keep this old comp updated , downloading majority of the updates MS releases . recently my comp has lost the D drive and it doesnt show up whatsoever . I have done a restore point which only took me back to 1/31/12 , but no sign of my D drive . And when i performed the restore , it said " the D drive has been turned off " by the system ?? i have no idea what happened but I'm thinking its one of the recent updates that might have something to do with it b/c my D drive was working 2. mos ago .
Does anyone have an idea of what happened ? Any help would be great ~

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Missing D drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Missing D drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What is it?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 3, 2012 8:40 PM PST
In reply to: Missing D drive

What is that D drive?

Mark

Collapse -
My guesses.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 3, 2012 8:53 PM PST
In reply to: What is it?

1. A USB-stick he took out.
2. A CD or DVD drive that went south and needs to be replaced.

Kees

Collapse -
Missing D drive
by KevinBtweekiN / March 4, 2012 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: My guesses.

Its my secondary hard drive guys , its fairly important b/c it holds a lot of my memorable pictures and videos of friends and family . =(

Collapse -
Re: drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 4, 2012 6:27 AM PST

Surely you have a backup of those fairly important data?

If not, and it isn't recognised even after you check the cables and after you put it in an external enclosure (so it becomes an external hard disk to connect to your USB drive) it's time to find a data recovery company and pay them to get your data back.

Kees

Collapse -
Missing D drive
by KevinBtweekiN / March 4, 2012 6:44 AM PST
In reply to: Re: drive

i do not have a back up , and its my secondary internal drive.

Collapse -
As we say here:
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 4, 2012 7:01 AM PST

You only lose what you don't backup. Some people only learn it the hard way. Sorry.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
When I get this situation I...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2012 6:51 AM PST

I yank the drive out of the machine and put it on my usb drive cable and see what I can see with Windows and Linux.

Others may use some USB DRIVE ENCLOSURE but few try to reinstate the drive if there is any word from the client they need the files back.
Bob

Collapse -
D drive
by KevinBtweekiN / March 4, 2012 9:09 PM PST

thank you Bob for your answer , but i believe my problem is a bit different.

i dug deeper , looked through the device manager , right clicked on the D drive , and it says:
this device is working properly , but the Location is 0 (0)
my C drive (primary drive) Location says 1 (1)

Would you (Bob) or anyone know what this means ?

Collapse -
Try looking in Disk Management
by lacsr / March 5, 2012 12:40 AM PST
In reply to: D drive

Try looking in Disk Management. See if the disk is recognized there. If the computer says it is location 0, (0) then it is being recognized. My own main hard drive has that location(Location is 0 (0) )in Device Manager.

Collapse -
Remember my note about FILES?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 2:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Disk management
by KevinBtweekiN / March 5, 2012 6:47 AM PST

hmm .. how come my setup is the other way around ? C drive as 1 (1) & D drive is 0 (0) ? is this common ?
and how do i access disk management ?

i can get to disk clean up , defrag , system restore etc. but nothing labled disk management

Collapse -
That's because it's under
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: Disk management

System management or such. There are plenty of tutorials on Disk Management and some are put off by using the Start, Help and Support buttons on the PC.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. About the failure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2012 6:59 AM PST

I'm guessing you want to know why this failed and why the location is this or that. Sorry but I can't know that as the events that lead up to this failure is unknown. It could be malware or an unlucky power outage at just the wrong time. I can't guess why but have recovered far too many drives to write it rarely happens.

The one thing we do know is "we only lose what we didn't backup." Some folk are upset about this.
Bob

Collapse -
D drive
by KevinBtweekiN / March 5, 2012 5:42 PM PST
In reply to: PS. About the failure.

hahah ! i totally agree Bob ! *Hi 5* on that last line ~! maybe they want me to suffer as they already have huh ? oh well ~

but seriously , i appreciate everyones answers here (Bob , Lacsr , Edward), i will try my best with your guys' suggestions and update with the results .

Collapse -
That could be the result of ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 5, 2012 1:08 PM PST
In reply to: Disk management

your C: drive actually being the master drive on the secondary IDE interface with your D: drive having been added later. What does your BOOT.INI tell you with its ARC paths?

Using the default Administrator account in Safe Mode use Disk Management to see if the drive shows there (it should) then right click the drive and look at its properties and the security tab to see if someone has denied full control to Everyone.

Also, are you positive about the EXACT WORDING of the message you see?

It might also have been hidden by someone or some malware. Open the Registry Editor by going to Start/Run and typing in "regedit" (without the quotes). Find your way to...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

Click on "Explorer".
Find the "NoDrives" key in the right column (if the key is not there STOP as it isn't hidden).

If the NoDrives key is present take a look at the key's value. if it is anything but 0x00000000, change it to decimal 0 (which is 0x00000000) by right clicking and selecting modify then select DECIMAL BASE and type in 0 (that is ZERO not Capital O)

Collapse -
That could be
by KevinBtweekiN / March 5, 2012 5:52 PM PST

A.
yes the C drive is the master and D is slave , that i am sure of.
B.
i will try to do this
C.
The wording of that message i saw is probably off by a few words but for sure it was along the lines of "the D drive being turned off" , by who/what ? thats where my memory skews off
D, E , F , G :
i will definitely try all your suggestions , as you seem very professional w/ this matter . and i thank you for your help =)

Collapse -
Regedit
by KevinBtweekiN / March 8, 2012 8:56 PM PST

ok , so i just performed the regedit . looked at it and it was some other value other than "0" , so i went to decimal base and modified it back to 0x00000000 . nothing changed , but hopefully it did something positive for my comp.

sadly no return of my D drive .

on another note i did do some more research yesterday , looked at the ide diagnostics , i had it run a check for the drives . C drive passed , while D drive failed and came up w/ a return code 7.

i googled the return code 7, and after reading some forum links , it points to being a failed/near death for my D drive . im still being optimistic , but what are your suggestions guys ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.