Windows 7

General discussion

Missing Control Panel options for touchpad

by ibushido / March 22, 2010 11:50 AM PDT

I have an Acer Aspire 5532 laptop running Windows 7. As of yesterday, my touchpad started acting up. The tap option that allows you to click by tapping the pad rather than clicking the button keeps toggling on and off by itself. It also lost the scroll function. The sensitivity is also out of whack.

I went to the control panel to try to readjust the settings and for some reason they are missing. The Control Panel does not have any options for the touchpad. It doesn't even acknowledge that it exists. I have tried downloading drivers that were supposedly going to fix the problem, but nothing has changed.

How can I gain access to the touchpad options and get it back to the way it was?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Missing Control Panel options for touchpad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Missing Control Panel options for touchpad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
TouchPad Problems
by kedscnet / March 23, 2010 3:45 AM PDT

There should be an icon in the notification to allow access to the TP control panel. In addition, the MOUSE icon in the Windows Control Panel also goes to the TP panel.

Collapse -
TouchPad Problems
by ibushido / March 23, 2010 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: TouchPad Problems

There is no option for the touch pad settings. It doesn't say touch pad anywhere in the control panel. I've searched it and found nothing. I went back to where it was and it isn't there anymore. I know I have accessed it before because I remember changing the settings. Now it's gone and the computer doesn't acknowledge its existence.

For example, if I make my way to the Device Manager I can see "Mice and other pointing devices" on the list. I click the drop down arrow on the left of that and only one thing comes up under that which reads "PS/2 Compatible Mouse." I don't know what that means and I don't have a mouse plugged into it. I think I remember the touchpad being on that list and accessing the settings there, but it's not there now. If I open the Control Panel and type "touchpad", "touch pad", "touch", "pad", I just eventually make my way back to that device manager which has nothing to do with the touchpad. Where exactly should it be? Let me know if there is any other info I can provide to help you figure this out. Thank you for your time.

Collapse -
Anybody?
by ibushido / March 30, 2010 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: TouchPad Problems

Nobody knows how this could happen or what I can do about it? I've been using a screwed up touch pad for a while now. It doesn't get any easier to use. It seems to not want to go to what I aim for and when I get close to anything it just slows down a lot and makes it harder to click. Also, the scrolling doesn't work anymore. It might as well just be an extension of the touch pad itself because all it does now is move the mouse up and down. I am also constantly accidentally clicking things because tap click function is on and I can't turn it off. It's so sensitive that it makes things like playing a simple game of minesweeper impossible.

Can anyone help?

Collapse -
Given the unit is in warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2010 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Anybody?

Call them up and follow their directions.

Collapse -
touchpad
by lammygal / February 22, 2011 3:05 AM PST

you have dissabled it
press Fn (bottom left) and F7

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.