Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

MIRO: horrendous add-on which caused crashes and corruption

by SunnyRainbowHeart / August 6, 2010 2:48 AM PDT

I downloaded MIRO as a help for downloading videos from the internet. I carefully unchecked extra functions such as making it my search engine or having its toolbar. I have Windows XP with Mozilla Firefox for internet access.

#1 It wouldn't download completely, stating I didn't have enough memory, which is baloney because my hard drive has 87% free space.
#2 It wouldn't uninstall although I removed it from CONTROL PANEL's "Add/Remove".
#3 It hijacked my home page and substituted its search engine as well as downloaded itself as a toolbar

#4 It made "MY COMPUTER" inaccessible
#5 MIRO makes it impossible to power off my computer except via my pushing the power off button.
#6 Several other weird symptomatologies too numerous to list, except for the most bizarre one of all: when I tried to open MIRO's uninstall icon, MIRO had evidently somehow invaded my software because it attached itself to GOOGLE TALK and the result is that selecting MIRO uninstall changed the icon to GOOGLE TALK and wants me to uninstall GOOGLE TALK. Evidently MIRO has caused industrial-strength software corruption.

Would someone please tell me--step by step without assuming I should know fancy techie terms and procedures--how to get rid of this accursed thing? (A similar situation occurred with "SiteRanker"--once these things get ahold of your computer they never want to leave.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MIRO: horrendous add-on which caused crashes and corruption
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MIRO: horrendous add-on which caused crashes and corruption
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 3:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: MIRO: horrendous add-on which caused crashes and corrupt
by SunnyRainbowHeart / August 6, 2010 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Link please.

Thank you so much, Bob, for the REVO uninstaller hyperlink. It's magic.

I got the MIRO from Googling how to download videos from the internet to one's PC and found it in some techie forum.

Your REVO was wonderful in that it brought up a list of potential uninstallables. It successfully removed the SiteRanker but nowhere do I find the MIRO except as a toolbar on the third line underneath my URL box. I don't know where to look for it.

Collapse -
For me, the manual uninstall is next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 3:37 AM PDT

When uninstall fails, revo fails I turn to the time honored manual uninstalls.

Let me share the tools I use.

1. HIJACKTHIS. This is a power tool so use with care. Only check off what you absolutely are sure about because there is no undo.

Link -> http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

2. MANUAL METHODS. I have been know to boot SAFE MODE and Explore the hard drive and see if there is a home to that software I want gone in "Program Files". Some seem nervous about that but when I want it gone and it won't go this is one place I look and delete it's home there.

3. After step 2 I reboot and see how I stand.
Bob

PS. We might want to look at Grif's advice at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?threadID=378815&tag=forums06;forum-threads

PPS. Glad REVO helped a little.

Collapse -
RE: For me, the manual uninsta
by SunnyRainbowHeart / August 6, 2010 4:19 AM PDT

Something very interesting I came upon, Bob, thanks to your information.

I looked, although not in Safe Mode (I was too eager), in My Computer/Program Files and found "MIRO"--but it is listed as "PARTICIPATORY CULTURE PROGRAM". When I put the cursor on it, the word "MIRO" flashed on. According to Properties it contains zero bytes. Then why in the devil is it still plastered on as a toolbar??

Collapse -
TOOLBAR as in Internet Explorer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 4:43 AM PDT

That is considered an addon. Hijackthis usually lists these as a BHO.

If you want, post the BHO's listed. Some versions of IE let you manage addins.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: TOOLBAR as in Internet Explorer
by SunnyRainbowHeart / August 6, 2010 5:20 AM PDT

Sorry about my naivete, but I don't know what a BHO is. Also, I'm using Firefox, not IE. (I also downloaded GreaseMonkey, the Firefox add-on to accomplish what I couldn't with Miro, and now I can't find where GreaseMonkey is on my hard drive in order to try to open it. I should have a Ph.D. in compounding computer problems, LOL.)

BTW, I right-clicked on my URL box and found www.getmiro.com as the URL
I'd visited to download the wretched thing.

I just went to HijackThis.com but don't know what to do with it.

Collapse -
FINALLY REMOVED "MIRO" ADD-ON!
by SunnyRainbowHeart / August 6, 2010 6:16 AM PDT

Hooray! I accidentally found the wretched MIRO when I started to download some free software and it came up in my download list as Miro_Installer.exe with a size of 448 kb.

I typed Miro_Installer.exe into START>SEARCH and the search thingie found it immediately. I right-clicked on it right there in the search box and selected "DELETE". All traces of it, including the wretched toolbar which was called "MiroStart.com", are now gone.

This is probably a circuitous way of having done it but it's the only way I knew how. Thank you for all of your help, Bob, and I hope that what I posted helps other people.

Collapse -
Good to read that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2010 9:04 AM PDT

It sounds like a long road but your machine should be in better shape than when you started. I can't take any credit here. You used what tips I shared and thought through the rest.

If I helped it was because you pitched in and kept at it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.