Samsung forum

Question

Minimum download speed required to view youtube

by UA40d6600emy / May 31, 2012 10:58 PM PDT

Hi!
May I know what is the minimum internet download speed required to view youtube on samsung smarttv without stutter? My tv is UA40d6600. It has a built in wifi, which I connected to my router without a problem. My internet download speed is 1mb/s. Everytime I open a youtube video, it loads and stops every few seconds. It isn't a good experience at all. To view a smooth video, I have to pause the video and wait until it loads to finish, and the loading takes ages too! Appreciate if someone can inform me the minimum download speed required to view youtube on samsung smarttv without stutter. Thank you in advance
Regards,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Minimum download speed required to view youtube
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Minimum download speed required to view youtube
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Minimum download speed required to view youtube
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 1, 2012 4:46 AM PDT

UA40d6600emy,

Glad to have you drop by. But just so you know, this forum is meant to mainly support US products and customers. And from what I can tell, this model is for Australia. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Generally, I'd refer you to the country code support portal for Samsung, because I support US products as I mentioned. Regardless, I researched your question, and here's what YouTube says: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78358

Hope this helps you!

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
Re: Minimum download speed required to view youtube
by UA40d6600emy / June 2, 2012 12:34 AM PDT

Hi Samsung_HD_Tech,

Thanks for the reply. About the model, yes, it's Australian model, but I can't find any Australia support forum for Samsung smart tv. However, I believe, it's basically made up from the same parts, so, would perform similarly, regardless it's USA or Australia model. So, if there is known info / feedbacks about USA model, it's be appreciated. From the link you gave, it seems that the minimum is 500kbps. So, I believe, my 1mbps exceeds the requirement. So, I wonder why I can't get smooth playback on youtube. It's quite disappointing.
Thank you
Regards

Collapse -
Answer
Same problem here. This time with 2MBPS connection.
by colablizzard / June 2, 2012 4:52 AM PDT

I too have the exact same TV model. In India.
2MBPS connection, Wifi N router, laptop gets full bars and 2MBPS when placed next to TV.
Youtube App shows load/play/load/play behaviour.

I used the slow, difficult to use browser to point it to TED.com and was able to see all the talks fine.

Looks like the youtube app downloads at a very high bitrate, not at the normal 360p. it would be nice to have a configuration in the app to select Max bitrate to play videos at.

Collapse -
Sister's youtube is smooth as butter
by UA40d6600emy / June 2, 2012 8:34 AM PDT

Thanks colablizzard for the feedback (my internet browser sucks & slow too on the tv hehe). My sister also has a smart tv, a more recent model, 5600, but series 5. She bought it last month, while I bought it in December last year. The youtube on her tv plays smooth as butter. She can watch tv shows for one hour with no stutter at all. She has faster internet speed at 10mbps. This is more expensive. I hope to know minimum download speed which can play it smooth, such that I don't have to break the bank to match my sister's internet speed. If 5mbps is the minimum, at least it's cheaper than 10mbps. So far, we can rule out 1mbps & 2mbps (based on colablizzard post). Or the worse case scenario is that since the model is older, it's just not capable to play youtube smooth regardless the speed Sad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.