Computer Help forum

General discussion

Minimized windows disappear behind taskbar

by Crafty / April 19, 2006 12:45 AM PDT

When I minimize a window it should go to the taskbar. It used to, but now it disappears behind the taskbar. To find it I have to close all windows. How do I make it go to the taskbar? I am using Windows 98 SE.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Minimized windows disappear behind taskbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Minimized windows disappear behind taskbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Minimized windows disappear behind taskbar
by caktus / April 19, 2006 6:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Caktus-this site for XP-I have 98
by Crafty / April 20, 2006 3:35 AM PDT

I don't know if this is what I need-this site fixes XP, I am using 98SE. Will it fix my problem? I'll explain it better-when I minimize a window it goes to the lower left on the desktop but it is behind any open windows. To maximize the windows I have to minimize all windows to find them. Minimized windows should go to the taskbar and be easily seen.

Collapse -
Sorry Crafty...
by caktus / April 20, 2006 8:53 AM PDT

I wouldn't expect this registry tweak would matter. I would also try #298. After clicking on #298 you'll have to click on "Minimized Programs Missing". Just be sure to create a System Restore Point or other reliable backup before appling them or any other registry tweak in case it doesn't work out.

Meanwhile you may be able to navigate from one minimized page to another using a keyboard shortcut. While holding down the Alt key tap on the Tab key to navigate from window to window. When you release the Alt key the selected window will open. Sometimes this is easier and faster than bothering with the mouse.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Same problem----
by Loos / April 24, 2006 9:38 PM PDT

with Windows ME. Mine just totally disappear. Just started yesterday when I thought I had accidentally closed the windows but instead had several open but just couldn't see them. To close them I had to use Ctrl/Alt/Del and close them one at a time. I found a thread similar to this but it concerned Windows XP. I ran Housecall which found some adware but couldn't remove it totally. I have McAfee AV and keep it updated. This is really aggravating so any suggestions would be appreciated.....thanks!

Collapse -
try right clicking the task bar
by retired / April 24, 2006 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem----

and put a check mark in auto hide then slide the mouse pointer over it a few times. now unchecked auto hide to see if it works properly. Also if you have a restore point to before this happened you could always try that.

Collapse -
Whoops, just re-read your
by retired / April 24, 2006 10:18 PM PDT

disregard about the restore point.

Collapse -
Re: Same problem----
by Tufenuf / April 24, 2006 10:21 PM PDT
Collapse -
do you use lots of toolbars?
by ramarc / April 25, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

if so, there may be no room on the taskbar for the active program list.

right click the taskbar. if it is locked, unlock it.

try the following: drag the top edge of the taskbar to double its height. do you see your active programs? if so, resize or remove your other taskbars and then resize the taskbar back to normal.

Collapse -
Back on track.......
by Loos / April 25, 2006 9:23 AM PDT

finally. No I don't use lots of toolbars and I haven't opened a greeting card so~~~I ran Ad-aware, Spybot and Stinger this morning before I went to work and found some spyware/malware. Deleted that stuff and ran a virus scan which found nothing. Shut down my computer and planned on doing a system restore when I got home but when I turned computer on everything is working fine. Is it a miracle?~~~OR could spyware cause that to happen? Whatever it was, it's gone for the time being. Thanks a lot for all the input! I really appreciate it! Loos Happy

Collapse -
RE: could spyware cause that to happen?
by caktus / April 25, 2006 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Back on track.......

Absolutely. Spyware and adware can and often does cause many strange anomalies. That's why it is so important to keep internet machines updated and clean.

Collapse -
cannot minimize
by dennis c brown / August 18, 2006 9:37 AM PDT

cannot minimize to taskbar? when i click on key to minimize it to the taskbar it disappears? i have milleniem me.

Collapse -
Read the discussion one more time but a known pest...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2006 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: cannot minimize

A known pest does this. Try your usual scans with Housecall, Adaware and Spybot.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.