TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Mini Projector VS Standard Projector for entertainment.

by baggage1 / March 23, 2009 9:30 AM PDT

Anyone have any knowledge of those pocket sized projectors? I want to set up a home entertainment system using my laptop in a small Apt. How big does the screen project? Aspect ratios? Getting ready to pull the trigger and balk at 400.00 bulbs lasting 2000 or 3000 hrs. max.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mini Projector VS Standard Projector for entertainment.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mini Projector VS Standard Projector for entertainment.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We don't know what you are talking about.
by ahtoi / March 23, 2009 9:57 AM PDT

How about links or make and model?

Collapse -
I heard on the radio!
by baggage1 / March 23, 2009 10:56 AM PDT

Dell has one m109s I don't know of any others.

Collapse -
pocket PJ's
by givemeaname / March 23, 2009 11:56 AM PDT

They are not made for HT at all. There for businees travelers, there not very bright and most only can do up to 42" with poor PQ. It is very new tec, it will be 10+ years until they can be used for HT, if ever. Do not waste your money on one of the Pocket PJ's

Collapse -
HT Home Theater
by pbear123 / November 6, 2009 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: pocket PJ's

While I see the point that you're making I don't think this is necessarily true, it really depends on application. I use my AAXA P2 for HT duties all the time in my bedroom. It has nothing on a real home theater projector like the Epson 1080UB (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63073680) but it works well for two reasons:

1. It's compact and portable so I just throw it into the drawer when I'm done
2. It has a 20,000 hour LED so I can just leave it on and fall asleep and not worry
3. It was cheap

Of course it is not HD quality and there's very noticeable motion blur when watching action scenes, but hey for $350 I am definitely not complaining. Here's some guy playing Xbox on his pocket projector:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L547yII-SU

Collapse -
Mini Projector VS Standard Projector for entertainment
by Fyhre / August 30, 2010 12:15 PM PDT

Now mini projectors have been designed as big as a palm, very small, and so easy to carry. If you own a mini projector you can only need to lend some flat surface like a table, a wall, a ceiling and so on. It is very flexible tp use.

Mini projector is more convenient for entertainment, standard projector is more heavy to carry. Each has its own merits and shortcomings.Mini projector can only have a good display at a dim light source, and it has some limited distance to display.

For more information about mini projector: http://www.espow.com/wholesale-tiniest-atom-60-inch-display-ultra-mini-projector.html

Collapse -
mini/micro projectors
by vplc / March 25, 2011 9:44 AM PDT

I would stay away from any projector that doesn't have at least 50 lumens. I have the aaxa m2 projector and use it occasionally to watch movies. It works well enough, and i know that it will never replace an actual televion, but for the price I paid, I would never get a 60" image. I wish it could do 16:9, but it's only capable of 4:3.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.