Laptops forum

General discussion

Milk in Dell keyboard

by macewan_ / February 23, 2009 5:47 AM PST

A friend of the family has spilled milk on her Dell laptop keyboard. Any suggestions other than not doing this in the future? Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Milk in Dell keyboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Milk in Dell keyboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If this friend immediately turned off the laptop
by Steven Haninger / February 23, 2009 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Milk in Dell keyboard

unplugged the power supply, removed the battery, etc., they could get lucky. I'd think the keyboard could be removed and cleaned carefully with water and rinsed with distilled, dried thoroughly and put back together. Anything that got under the keyboard would also need to be cleaned as best as is possible. It's really going to depend upon how much milk was spilled and exactly where it went.

Collapse -
Local Shop
by Renegade Knight / February 24, 2009 3:36 AM PST

The above advice is good.
If your friend isn't comfortable they can take it to a local shop. They should be able to do this for under a hundred bucks. If the Dell is still underwarranty, if there is any kind of WARRANTY problem (unrelated to the milk) Dell will refuse the repair regardless (which violates their own warranty).

The other thing is that by cleaning the keyboard you won't get those annoying sticky keys that make typing something annoying.

Collapse -
So true
by v8ornot2v8 / February 27, 2009 10:50 PM PST

Turning off the laptop and hoping that nothing has fried in the electronics is key, not to mention that it shouldn't be turned back on until everything is completely dry. I've spilled coke on my laptop keyboard and have been able to clean it up and save it with not even a sticky key one!

I wish you the best of luck!

Collapse -
what do you mean by clean?
by DoratheExplora / March 12, 2013 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: So true

When you say you were able to clean it up, just a surface clean or did you take the keyboard apart?

Collapse -
Milk huh?
by texasdan / February 27, 2009 11:38 AM PST

Guess it could be worse. Don't they give away keyboards these days? Like $10 or so if she doesn't get a fancy one. Try tigerdirect, or do a Google search.

Collapse -
It's a laptop
by Steven Haninger / February 27, 2009 7:22 PM PST
In reply to: Milk huh?

They don't give these away and they don't just attach in a few seconds. It also sits on top of the motherboard. Gravity becomes your worst enemy here.

Collapse -
by bettyinsweden / February 28, 2009 1:28 AM PST

I don't know about milk in a laptop(it will sour)but, we spilled red wine on a closed laptop and it ran into it from the logo on the top. (Packard Bell) Of course the warranty was long gone. The shop want too much money just to look at it, so...we were ready to throw it away. Once we were sure that it was dry we tried it. It made a horrible whistle when we turned it on. We kept it on in an area of the house that was cool, and protected in case of a fire. However, after a few weeks the laptop started working again. This was more than four years ago and the lap top is still working.

Collapse -
What you will need to do.
by fourbypete / February 28, 2009 1:12 PM PST

I found a dell laptop that this happened to a few years back. The computer would not boot so, I pulled it appart (not recomended unless you are a very carefull, inquizitive type).I found that the power ciruit board was fried by the milk shorting a few chips on the board. I found a website called impact computers which sold the exact part I was looking for (cost me around $80 au) which I instaled myself. Two years on, and it's still working.
Sorry I couldn't put the full website name up there as it could be construde as spamming.

Collapse -
I suggest, if capable...
by Willy / March 1, 2009 1:53 AM PST

Remove battery and then kybd.. Inspect area where kybd. was for any other spillage, clean if found. Use 90% rubbing alcohol and shop towels or use clean old t-shirt as rag. Once done, using liquid type soap place in warm water and wash the kybd. allow to soak and repeat until clean. After cleaning, remove and shake dry as much of access soapy water and then rinse in clean warm water. Repeat, until soap film is gone. Remove and shake until access water is gone. Rap kybd. against dry towel on all sides to help exit all water. Once done, place kybd. on sunny window or any heat source like heat vent(must be warm but not hot, avoid warpage) and allow to dry out. Make sure its dry!!!!!! Some water can be trapped in areas not easily inspected, so allow for as much time as necessary. Once done, return kybd. and test results. If it works, great if not, exit kybd. and dry out again for a longer period, then retest. if it fails again, buy replacement kybd. from some laptop used/repair source(google away). Unless, you have access to a cleaning vat, this will work. Its important to dry out kybd. as its sealed against some spillage but direct electronic contacts can be compromised until cleaned, yet be dry.

THIS IS ALL AT YOUR OWN RISK, otherwise pay for the service to be done or buy replacement.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.