Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Migrating Classic Collector Program

by dedza26 / February 22, 2013 9:46 AM PST

I'm about to migrate from a Windows XP 32 bit desktop to a Windows 7 64 bit all-in-one desktop via an external hard drive hopefully using Windows Easy Transfer. I know programs have to be installed manually using the original program disc(s). What about programs originally downloaded (with no CD) but for which I have licences and relevant "exe" files, how will these transfer or will it be necessary to contact the relevant suppliers and download again?

One invaluable/irreplaceable data base program, Classic Collector, I use for cataloging my extensive CD collection was originally supplied on floppy disks in 1993. The most recent update was in 2000 via download. I successfully migrated from Windows 98 and then to the current Windows XP on which I installed a floppy disk drive specifically to cater for it. I'm not that technically savvy and have been told it will not be possible to effect a migration either directly or manually. There's an added complication in that the private developer of the program is now too ill to service it any more but has made it available as a free download. Understandably not wishing to main two desktop PCs I was hoping I might still be able to find a Windows XP laptop that would be dedicated to the program but no success. Other currently available CD cataloging programs I've traced are not as comprehensive as Classic Collector and despite the fact that I have on and off-site back-ups do not seem able to cope without using csv files.

Given the limitations of alternative programs and in any case not looking forward to the prospect of keying data for 3000+ CDs I would appreciate advice on any possible solutions.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Migrating Classic Collector Program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Migrating Classic Collector Program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Get the Windows 7 Professional version
by wpgwpg / February 22, 2013 10:17 AM PST

If you get the Professional version of Windows 7, you can use the free XP Mode which runs as a task under Windows 7 and will run most of your XP-only programs. It doesn't require rebooting and normally starts up in 30 seconds or so. The only real drawback to it is somewhat limited graphics, so it's not good for high speed games. Just about anything else will work very well with it though. Be aware that Windows 8 has no XP Mode though.

The programs you downloaded can be copied to a flash drive or external hard drive for reinstallation on the new computer, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Migrating, or using (older programs) on Windows 7
by Tractor-RV / February 22, 2013 11:40 AM PST

All of my favorite programs as far back as Windows 2000 run fine on XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
Microsoft at Windows 2000 started using a new hard drive format called "NTFS" which prevented a lot of crashes and allowed for bigger hard drives.

Windows 7 home premium, and Pro both support running XP in a "virtual environment". Even for DOS programs.
Good news with NTFS.
The programs that ran well on Windows 2000 with NTFS formatting on the hard drive, have been moved by my reinstalling them on XP, Win-7, and Win-8; because they (Originally) ran on NTFS formatting.
Windows 7 Home Premium allows a right click on a program to run as: [Windows 2000], [xp], and others.
Therefore, your [Classic Collection] should run fine.
Here are several more suggestions for how to move and run your favorite program (programs):
1) Purchase an external USB floppy drive for your (all-in-one desktop).
2) Purchase several (at least 2) 16gb, or 32gb thumb drives; that will support "Ready Boost" They are rated the fastest if they will support ready boost.
3) Use one 32gb Flash drive as "Ready Boost" or a place to run "stand alone programs".
4-a) Drag and drop the contents of each floppy disk into a corresponding floppy disk folder on a thumb drive.
Make a folder on your flash drive called (Classic_Collection_Install) for an example; and inside that have a separate folder for each floppy disk. Example: FD_01, FD_02, FD_03, etc.
4-b) As you stated, the Classic Collector developer has made it available as a free download.
My option would be to obtain the free download, and burn it onto a CD/DVD and another for backup.

5)-a Now, on XP you will need to find your (Classic Collection) folder and any affiliated sub folders.
5)-b Copy the complete Folder, (or set of folders) to an external hard drive. This may run for several hours depending on the size of your collection.
5)-c On the XP machine "Copy" everything to an external drive, vs moving data. Everything will be intact on XP, in case of a power failure or a glitch.
6)-a Install the [Classic Collector downloaded] {program} on your new (all-in-one desktop).
6)-b The Classic Collector downloaded {program} should have used the same default directories on Windows 7, as it did on XP. Therefore find the folders on Windows 7, with the same names as the folders you just backed up by copying to your external hard drive. Be careful here: Both sets of folders have the same name; the external copies from your XP machine with all your precious data, and time involved: and, - on the Win-7 machine empty folders, or just 'sample data'. You should copy the data from (inside the folders) on the external drive, into the same named folder on the new (all-in-one desktop).
7) Now, start the Classic Collector program the same way you did on XP; and it should run fine. You may have to wait for it to index all the data you copied into it; because it installed using original samples, and doesn't know what you dropped into it. So, don't panic if doesn't seem to be doing anything at first.
Note:
If you have trouble finding where directories, or files are stored; setting for both operating systems are the same.
XP and Win-7. In each [windows explorer] go to the top line, click >>[Tools], >>[Folder Options], >>[View];
>>[Advanced Settings] box. Now check the circle - [Show hidden files and folders].
Uncheck [Hide extensions for known file types]
Uncheck [Hide protected operating system files]
[Apply]
Go back to the top of the page and click on the tab [Apply to all folders]. Answer [Yes]
Perform this operation on both machines. Finding names and files of you collection on XP should now be easy.
Once you collection is moved to Win-7; test everything. Then reverse the [Explorer Folder] settings to hide system folders and files.
Done.
There are many [Stand - alone] programs that run inside a directory, with sub-directories. They do not install into the windows registry; or into the program files area. They may send an icon to the desktop to start a specific program each time it is wanted. These are the easiest programs to move. Just copy the complete [Directory] set from one computer to another. The ReadMe file would have you send an icon to the desktop and the program is ready to use.

Collapse -
Classic Collector 2000 and Win 8
by riedmulk / July 18, 2014 8:07 PM PDT

I wonder if you can help me. I am using Classic Collector 2000 since its early days and had good contacts to its developer Lionel Kremer. I cataloged some 3000 CDs and Lps and "Have" to stick to that program.
It workes now fine even on Win 7. However I have now a new PC which runs under Win 8,1. Win 8,1 rejects Classic Collector. Is there a possibility to make CC2000 fit for Win 8 and who could do it?

riedmulk

Collapse -
Have you tried
by Jimmy Greystone / July 18, 2014 10:07 PM PDT

Have you tried the compatibility mode settings, which have been a standard part of Windows since about Windows 2000 SP4?

What exactly happens when you try using the program under Windows 8.1 for that matter?

Collapse -
classic collector 2000 and win 8
by riedmulk / July 20, 2014 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Have you tried

Whenever I tried to install CC2000 to my Acer Aspire V after pushing the Setup a window opens telling: "this programcannot be installed on this PC. Contact the Software Provider in oder to find a suitable Version for your PC."
PC: Acer Aspire V5 - 572G - 7353 G50akk
OS WIN 8,1

Collapse -
A quick google search
by Jimmy Greystone / July 20, 2014 11:11 PM PDT

A quick google search of the error message you gives doesn't turn up a single hit with that phrase. However, a quick look at what appears to be the Classic Collector 2000 web page ( http://web.onetel.com/~lionelkremer/Elk1Main.htm ) the part at the bottom about being suitable for Windows 3.1 is likely the key to the problem. That would strongly suggest this program is a 16-bit program and on a system with 6GB of RAM you have the 64-bit version of Windows, which lacks any ability at all to run 16-bit programs.

It's a good thing on the whole because 16-bit programs were exempt from certain requirements that would allow them to blindly overwrite memory being used by another program causing it to crash. Ask anyone who used Windows back in the 16-bit days and they'll probably remember GPF (General Protection Fault) errors well. The 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows enforce rules on 32 and 64-bit programs to prevent that, but on 32-bit versions of Windows running even a single 16-bit program can undo all of those protections.

If you know how to contact the developer, I'd suggest either asking them to come out of retirement long enough to make a 32-bit version (often times it's as simple as recompiling the program as a 32-bit binary) or a means of exporting the database to some common format that could be imported by a different program.

Collapse -
classic collector 2000 and win 8
by riedmulk / July 20, 2014 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: A quick google search

googling my translations from German into English is probably bound to fail.

Well I tried of course to contact the developer. Since years he suffers from Parkinsons and certainly cannot help any longer. I myself have only Basic knowledge on how to handle a PC. So the question is to find someone who would make the old programm fit for win 8. Its amazing that it has not been tried as the program itself is unmatched.

Collapse -
The first thing you'd need
by Jimmy Greystone / July 20, 2014 11:51 PM PDT

The first thing you'd need is the source code for the last version. My guess would be this no longer exists, so without that you're basically out of luck. There are a few methods you could try, but they are full of their own problems.

Actually now that I take a somewhat closer look at it, it says that uses a MS Access database to store everything, to it's probably just an old MS Access program. Which is actually potential good news, since if you can get your hands on a copy of something like Office XP and a computer that will run it, you might be able to import the database, save it as a newer format, and let it make it continue working. It's not a very good chance, but it's significantly better than if this were written in say VisualBasic 3.0 or something.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.