Computer Help forum

General discussion

Micrsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]

by Barbara92021 / April 3, 2008 3:54 AM PDT

I found this in my Add/Remove Programs list and I was wondering what it is. I google searched and searched in CNET forums for an explanation of this program. What info I did find, is too difficult to understand. It made no sense to me at all.

All I want is a simple explanation of what this program is, what (if any) programs I have on my computer that this program would be used for, and is it OK to remove this using the Add/Remove Program list?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Micrsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Micrsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can use it for any DATABASE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2008 4:03 AM PDT

But given no list of all the software on your machine all we can ask is you don't uninstall it as other software may be using it.

Collapse -
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]
by Barbara92021 / April 3, 2008 5:02 AM PDT

Thankyou, Bob!! I see that you and Grif are in a dispute here. You say keep it and he says remove it! I like your idea better as I really hate having to use recovery cds for any reason at all!!

Here is the very long list of all my software:
Mozilla Firefox & Internet Explorer 7
Calendar Pal
Email Guardian
Folder Magic
Outlook Express
Bejewelled - Snood and Snood Slide
My HP Games
Logitech Mouseware
Logitech QuickCam Webcam
Lexmark & Epson All-in-One Printer/Scanners
HP Photosmart
HP (Software) Update
Quick Time
Windows Media Player 11
Sonic Programs: muvee autoProducer 5.0, Digital Media Home, DVD Play, Express Labeller, My DVD Plus
Windows Digital Media Enhancements: Windows Audio Converter, Windows CD Label Maker, Windows Dancer, Windows Party Mode
Windows Media: Windows Media Encoding Script, Windows Media File Editor, Windows Media Profile Editor, Windows Media Stream Editor
Windows Media Encoder
AOL Instant Messenger
Yahoo Messenger
Windows Live Messenger
Microsoft Works Suite 2005: not all - only Picture It, Office, Word 2002, Works & Powerpoint viewer
Media Monkey
Dimage Viewer
Power Toys for Windows XP: Image Resizer & Tweak UI
Ulead Photo Explorer 8.5 SE Basic
Windows Movie Maker
Abbby Fine Reader 6.0 Sprint
Disk Internals CD-DVD Recovery
JDisk Report 1.3.0
Light Scribe Direct Disk Labelling
Rainlender 2
Registry Mechanic
Revo Uninstaller
Shaw Internet
Shaw Secure
Will Expert
Acrobat Reader 5.0
Adobe Reader 8
Network Magic
Remove Assistance

There are programs inside of some of these that I didn't add b/c they are obvious (I think!). Do any of these need this software? If so, which ones and what does it do?

Thanks, Bob!

Collapse -
Outside of Will Expert
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2008 5:06 AM PDT

The rest from memory don't use this. I'd uninstall and if you find a program failing you uninstall that, reinstall and it will put it back 99.99% of the time.

Collapse -
Yes, You Can Uninstall It..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 3, 2008 4:13 AM PDT

On some of the newer Windows XP computers we've received lately, we're seeing that Microsoft is preinstalling a basic version of the SQL Server software for database managment. I'll believe it's also showing up on Vista machines. The "Compact Edition" allows the standard user to use an SQL type program without installing the full SQL 2005 Server. Since most home users don't really want to get into learning SQL Server ins and outs, it's not really needed for most folks. It's primarily used for business/Enterprise related database and application management in which your computer would be used as a server.. If you're not going to use your computer as a server from which multiple computers can access a run an application from, then you can safely delete it. You will also see a few other items related to SQL Server in the Add/Remove Programs section. They too can be unisntalled..

If for some reason, you ever need it down the road, use your recovery discs to bring the computer back to its factory state or download some of the necessary parts from the link below.

See the link below for an explanation of the Compact Edition and view those downloads:

Collapse -
Wasn't this used by Sony Vegas?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2008 5:01 AM PDT

Some versions of Sony Vegas use that. Uninstalling breaks a feature in Vegas.

Collapse -
Not Familiar With The Sony Issue..But..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 2:51 PM PDT

I've recently removed it from 3 or 4 new HP computers and one custom machine made by "PC Club", all of which had it preinstalled with Windows XP or Vista.. No problems since the users weren't in need of SQL Server.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by Barbara92021 / April 5, 2008 4:02 AM PDT

Thankyou Grif & Bob! That's what I have - an HP computer! HP Pavilion Media Center m7640n, to be exact! How true it is that I will very unlikely being needing an SQL server! And, Bob, I have enuf programs on this computer for making slideshows, movies, etc that I won't be buying any of the Vegas products. I googled Sony Vegas.

So, I will look for anything else that has to do with SQL servers and remove those too, if I have them.

Your extra comments really helped me decide what to do and also helped me learn something new!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.