Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Microwave Oven!?!?!?!

by arsenalrox24 / March 21, 2006 4:45 AM PST

I have a microwave oven in between my router and my computer. Any time the microwave is turned on, I lose internet connection on my computer. I assume that the microwave is disrupting the signal, but I was wondering if an extender would help? If not, what could I buy to help so I don't lose internet connection?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microwave Oven!?!?!?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microwave Oven!?!?!?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A well known effect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2006 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: Microwave Oven!?!?!?!
Collapse -
change something
by linkit / March 21, 2006 5:02 AM PST

change channel - use a different wireless broadcast channel
move router - laterally or to a different height
move computer
move microwave

Somehow get the microwave away from the router and computer and out of the line-of-sight between the router and the computer. A range extender is an expensive solution to your problem.

A reference:
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3116531

Collapse -
Microwave Oven Interference
by joerog55 / March 22, 2006 5:34 PM PST
In reply to: change something

Why not just run a shielded cable from the router to the PC, and use the wireless features for everything else?

Collapse -
joerog55, maybe, that everything else
by Gakada / March 22, 2006 7:41 PM PST

is the pc... LOL

Collapse -
Battery backup on your router
by Wisconsin Programmer / March 23, 2006 12:16 AM PST

Don't assume that you have a leaky microwave oven. My home computer is on the same electrical circuit as my microwave, and there is a noticable dimmimg of the lights in the room every time somebody operates the microwave. I had connectivity problems until I realized that I had a good battery backup/surge protector on the computer itself, but I only had a simple surge protected power strip on my wireless router and switch.

I purchased an separate little battery backup that has full-time power regulation just for the router and switch, and most of my connection problems went away.

(My DSL still drops my VPN connection a couple of times a day, but I'm convinced that's a phone company problem.)

Collapse -
MICROWAVE INTERFERRING WITH WIRELESS ROUTER SIGNALS
by FLIPPERGIRLEG / January 3, 2014 4:08 AM PST

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MINE AND IT'S NOT EVEN IN THE SAME ROOM. ITS' UP IN THE ATTIC AND THE COMPUTERS ARE IN VARIOUS DIFFERENT SPACES IN THE HOUSE AND NONE IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE MICROWAVE. MINE'S A PANASONIC WITH 1300 WATTS AND INVERTER.

IT SHUTS THE ENTIRE WIRELESS SIGNALS DOWN EVERY TIME I USE IT.

I'M GOING TO TRY THE CHANNEL OPTION LISTED IN ONE OF THE OTHER.

Collapse -
Are you using a Wireless??
by Gakada / March 22, 2006 7:39 PM PST

If you did not use wireless, and get the interference, maybe you can move the cable away from the microwave...

If you do use a wireless.. then try changing the channel, as R. Proffitt and Linkit said.

Collapse -
Get a new microwave
by saida el hayek / March 22, 2006 8:03 PM PST

A microwave shouldn't be leahing RF in the first place. Get a new microwave. They're cheaper than a new router.

Collapse -
Same problem .. different appliance
by jwschull / March 22, 2006 8:33 PM PST
In reply to: Get a new microwave

My microwave does not cause a problem ... but my 2.4 GHz Panasonic portable will cause the same blackout. When the phone rings or is in use the wifi goes down, if I'm on channel 6. Channel 11 does not seem to have the problem.

Collapse -
Panasonic phone AND Panasonic microwave!
by B. J. Lee / March 22, 2006 11:06 PM PST

If the microwave is cookin' and I am using the 2.4GHz Panasonic cordless phone within 10 feet, the conversation breaks up. In fact, in order to establish a "safe" zone to occupy when the microwave is running I hit the Talk button on the phone and moved around the kitchen until the crackling noise stopped in the handset! That's where I stand (when nuking) to save being irradiated.
And they say microwaves are safe! Yeah, right!

Collapse -
The problem is the frequency is the same!
by PFC-555 / March 23, 2006 4:16 AM PST

Microwave ovens run on a frequency of 2.4ghz just like those 2.4ghz cordless phones. That is why I would only buy either 900mhz cordless phones, or 5.2ghz cordless phones.

Personally, I only have 900mhz ones since they sound get at my location and they are much cheaper because they have been around for so long.

Collapse -
Microwave Oven
by leojohns / March 22, 2006 10:16 PM PST

I'm no expert, but I thought everyone knew that several household appliances use the same frequencies -
cordless phones, microwaves, Wi-Fi, etc. If you're going to use Wi-Fi, you should find out what frequency it operates on and also know what frequency other things in your home operate on. Did you know - a neighbors cordless phone can disrupt your Wi-Fi ????

Collapse -
Buy Stove Top Popcorn!
by cmathis / March 22, 2006 10:48 PM PST

Just buy stove top popcorn. Problem solved!!!

:+)

www.zoneforplay.com

Collapse -
Move the culprit
by IMAMCO / March 23, 2006 12:43 AM PST

Assuming it's not bolted down, try moving the microwave across the room (or at least somewhere not directly between your computer and wifi router)

Or as joerog55 suggested - just run a regular CAT5 cable between your computer and router, so you won't be subject to interference in the 2.4Ghz range from any device (phone, microwave, whatever)

Collapse -
Microwave Ovens are cheap these days
by lsilvero / March 23, 2006 7:50 PM PST

Just go get a new one. Sounds like you probably need one anyway.................

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.