Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Microsoft Works spell check feature.

by Big Steve / November 3, 2007 5:23 AM PDT

I have 2 computers which have Windows Home XP and both also have Microsoft Works; not Word; Works but the spell check feature on both computers must be on crack. I have deliberately typed in words spelled incorrectly and checked for spelling errors; Microsoft Works will say everytime no errors were found.

Words typed in such as Mississssipppi; beeleave; reeceeve; and so on. I consider myself a pretty decent speller but when the program doesn't recognize a spelling error such as Mississssipppi or receave; what could be the problem? Could it be that my Microsoft Works 8.0; version 08.04.0623 doesn't come with a spell check feature although there is one clearly listed?

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
11/03/07

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Works spell check feature.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Works spell check feature.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Microsoft Works spell check feature.
by Big Steve / November 3, 2007 7:55 AM PDT

Did I post my question in the wrong forum? Please advise so I can post my question in the correct forum if this forum is not correct.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
11/03/07

Collapse -
You are...
by Papa Echo / November 3, 2007 8:22 AM PDT

...in the correct forum. Just give it time- at least 6 hours. Some posts get answered days later. You only have it 2 & half hours !

Collapse -
In the meantime, try...
by Papa Echo / November 3, 2007 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: You are...

?Reinstall Works.
?Change your profile - change user, or create a new user. Your present profile could be corruptd.

Collapse -
Re: In the meantime, try...
by Big Steve / November 3, 2007 11:14 AM PDT

Thanks for the info.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
11/03/07

Collapse -
Re: In the meantime, try...
by Big Steve / November 4, 2007 8:46 AM PST

Both of these Dell computers were set up for me last year but the computer nerd who works for my brother who set everything up for me took all of the software back with him to Texas; why I don't know but that was stupid if I must say so and because of such I can't reinstall Works 8.0. Is there another free word processing program on the web I could download and install that would also have a spell check feature included with it?

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
11/04/07

Collapse -
Yes...
by Papa Echo / November 4, 2007 3:26 PM PST

Check out Open Office . It is an office suite similar to MS Office. One virtue of it is the ability to open MS Office documents.

Collapse -
Yes...
by Big Steve / November 5, 2007 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: Yes...

I'll check it out. If I installed Open Office would I need to uninstall Microsoft Works 8.0 or just leave it alone?

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
11/05/07

Collapse -
Yes...
by Big Steve / November 5, 2007 2:46 AM PST

You got a link to Open Office? Version number?

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
11/05/07

Collapse -
Link only.
by Kees Bakker / November 5, 2007 4:17 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Link only.
by Big Steve / November 5, 2007 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: Link only.

Would that be Open Office 2.3? Thanks for the info.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
11/05/07

Collapse -
Illegal....
by entrecon / November 5, 2007 2:16 AM PST

Unless you paid for Works it is possible that you have an illegal copy of Works running on your machine.

If, on the other hand, you did pay for it and/or it came with your PC, I would say the guy that installed it just stole it.

Either way, I would suggest as others have, that you instal Open Office.If you did pay for it and it came with your PC, you can leave Works installed with no issues. If you think it was illegally put on your machine, I would uninstall it.

Collapse -
Illegal....
by Big Steve / November 5, 2007 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: Illegal....

The Works 8.0 came with both of the Dell computers; either pre-installed by Dell or both computers were configured by the guy in Texas who works for my brother's company who configured both computers for me. Nothing illegal here, nothing.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
11/05/07

Collapse -
Dell support
by entrecon / November 5, 2007 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Illegal....

How old are the Machines?

If you bought them from Dell and Works was pre-installed, they should support it, at least for a little while.

It is also possible that the install package is right on the Machine. Dell doesn't always ship media.

Collapse -
Re: Dell support
by Big Steve / November 5, 2007 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Dell support

My brother's company purchased both Dells new last year; they were installed in my house in March or May 2006. The computers belong to my brother but I'm using them. I don't do that much word processing on either Dell machine but when you deliberately type in the word "Misssissippppi" and run a spell check and receive a message saying no errors found the program must be on crack because "Mississippi" is not spelled "Misssissippppi".

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
11/05/07

Collapse -
Check settings
by entrecon / November 5, 2007 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Dell support

Is it possible that Works is just skipping over the word because it starts with a capital letter? I don't use Works, but I know that there are settings in Word to ignore words in caps or words with numbers. Back in college I turned a paper in with the number 3 in the middle of a word and MS Word didn't correct it because the config was set to ignore words with numbers.

Collapse -
Re: Check settings
by Big Steve / November 5, 2007 12:07 PM PST
In reply to: Check settings

Since I don't use the software that much how would I check the settings? Advise if you would.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
11/05/07

Collapse -
You can check.....
by Papa Echo / November 5, 2007 4:39 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Check settings

Try checking other simple words delibrately spelled wrong in the middle of a sentence. Spell-check options may be at Tools> Options. Try the help menu.

Regarding the legality of the Works installation on the two computers, try running "Belarc Advisor" on both the computers and see whether it report the same "key" of the Works installed on the two computers. LINK

Collapse -
Re: You can check.....
by Big Steve / November 5, 2007 5:14 PM PST
In reply to: You can check.....

I went in and used the help menu for Microsoft Works 8.0 and I think I solved my problem. I went in and changed a few settings and it seems to be working fine now. I would test a word spelled incorrectly typed in all caps and a setting was checked to ignore all words typed in all caps which would explain why my deliberately mispelled words which were typed in all caps were being ignored. I went in and unchecked the setting to ignore all words typed in all caps and now everything seems to be working fine.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
11/06/07

Collapse -
sorry took so long
by entrecon / November 5, 2007 10:15 PM PST
In reply to: Check settings

I don't know why I didn't register earlier that the word you suggested was capitalized. This is one of my pet peeves that this setting is turned on by default by Microsoft. Nice to have it, but let users turn it on if they want it, don't make them turn it off.

Collapse -
Re: sorry took so long
by Big Steve / November 6, 2007 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: sorry took so long

Well now that I finally figured it out it seems to be working just fine. I have an older desktop in another room which is not connected to the Internet; it's an old WIN 95 machine which came installed with Microsoft Works Suite and it works differently. I could type Mississippi as "MISSSISSSSIPPI" and it would let me know that I had typed the word incorrectly; be it typed in all CAPS or not.

Something else I don't like about Works 8.0; I'll attempt to type in someone's email address; all of it in lower case and the software will always capitalize the first letter in the email address; always but I finally figured out a way to override that. I've only been using WIN XP Home SP2 for just over a year and I'm still learning but it's a big jump from WIN 95.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
11/06/07

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.