Office & Productivity Software

General discussion

Microsoft Word in SAFE MODE?

by gerri / November 23, 2006 1:24 PM PST

Today I tried to create a document in Microsoft Word and it automatically routed me to SAFE MODE?

I run Windows XP SP 1&2, IE 7. I have Microsoft WorksSuite 2001, Microsoft Word 2000 SR-1.

I tried researching the reason and it appears to be a "security" issue back in May of 2006 ...which I am not understanding at all. Did this occur when I recently downloaded IE 7?

Can someone PLEASE help me. Is this a permanent thing? If so, I am having a problem after creating the document, how do I transfer it and/or cut and paste it?

It's ALWAYS something.!! Sad

Thanks for your help,....anyone please.

Gerri

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Word in SAFE MODE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Word in SAFE MODE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Word in safe mode
by Kees Bakker / November 23, 2006 4:21 PM PST

Can you better explain what happens. As I read it, it's rather impossible: you open Word by doubleclicking an existing document, it's not in Safe Mode, you do File>New to create a new document and suddenly it's in safe mode. And if you say you "try to create" a new document, does that imply it won't be created, but you get an error message? And why can't you copy/paste? Can you safe it in .rtf-format?

Can you point us to what you researched? No sense to do it all over.

Only YOU can tell if this is related to IE7, because only YOU can tell when exactly this started. And, of course, only YOU can uninstall IE7 to see if it makes a difference. Anyway, there wasn't an IE7 back in may, so it's unlikely to be related to that particular cause. My question to you: did this problem appear exactly when you downloaded IE7 and what happens if you uninstall IE7 and go back to IE6?

But I would start with finding normal.dot (using Windows Explorer) and deleting it. That solves quite a lot of Word problems.

Until this is solved, consider using Write from www.openoffice.org as a replacement. It's free.

Kees

Collapse -
Word in Safe Mode....in a nutshell..
by gerri / November 24, 2006 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Word in safe mode

Even when I try to open up an existing documents in "my documents" or anything having to do with WORD.....it takes me directly into "safe mode"

I don't believe it has anything to do with IE7 now.

Can you expand on the normal.com you mentioned? Thanks for the tip on openoffice.org.

This is what I have retrieved that seems to explain the problem -- but I am so confused right now. I don't know whether I should just do a "system restore" or "uninstall"...and reinstall.

HELP!.... Sad
thanks

Collapse -
Re: deleting normal.dot
by Kees Bakker / November 24, 2006 2:03 AM PST

Normal.dot is Words default template (if you are more than a beginning Word user you might have made your own templates) and if it's corrupted strange things can happen.

Go into My Computer or Windows Explorer and use the Search function to search for a file called normal.dot in your Documents and Settings (assuming you've got Windows XP). Depending on your settings (details or icons, and do or don't show file extensions) it might turn up in several disguises (such as normal only, or normal with a Word icon)For some members, it's quite a chore to find it, but it's surely there. It shouldn't even be hidden.
Then simply delete it (unless you've got your own macro's in it, then only rename it). It will be recreated automatically, not currupt.

Kees

Collapse -
I THINK I found it....now
by gerri / November 24, 2006 5:02 AM PST

OK...I found one as you advised me. Now I am a little lost...(sorry)...You advise to "delete" it. or IF I have my own Macros....to create new one?

Can you please break it down in dummy terms for me. I appreciate your help--I really do.

(1) If I delete that will solve the problem?

(2) What does my own macro mean? ...and how would I know???

Thanks,
Gerri

Collapse -
Re: deleting normal.dot
by Kees Bakker / November 24, 2006 10:59 PM PST

Not sure it will solve your problems. But maybe it does. If you don't know how to delete a file in Windows Explorer or My Computer, better go the bookshop and buy a book like 'Using Windows'. Or simply press delete-key after selecting it.

If you don't know how to record or write a macro in Word, surely you've never done it. So you don't have any.

Go on with the delete and see if it helps.

If not, tell more about the problem. Did Word ever work correctly? What changed just before the problem started (installed programs, removed programs, updated Norton, things like that)?
If you've got Windows XP, can you do a system restore to a moment before that time? That might help also.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
I know how to use Windows and...
by gerri / November 25, 2006 8:48 AM PST

delete folders, etc. It's just the terminalogy and "macro". Years ago when I was working I did write a macro in word....but I don't remember the details.
'
WORD always worked for the past 5 years. I upgraded last year to XP finally...and it was fine. A few weeks ago I downloaded IE7 and it was fine. I tried the system restore today....and went back 2 weeks....nothing changed. All parts of Microsoft WorksSuite 2001 go into safe mode.

I tried uninstalling Microsoft 6.0 ...it goes into safe mode. I let run all alfternoon and nothing. It gets to 16 bars .....and all night nothing else. So I tried uninstalling WORD alone, but it won't allow me to remove because the message I get is that Microsoft Works 6.0 is suspended and do I want to "undo" the changes..I try that...and still nothing. I KNOW this seems to be somewhat common problem about it going into safe mode...because there is enough stuff in google about it....so there must be some solution. I'm just tired of it all.... Sad

The rest of my computer is fine.! I tried downloading www.openoffice.org. I just mainly want the Word part...but it is so cumbersome because I just want the word icon...and anyway...well....

Collapse -
OK..I GOT IT TO WORK --
by gerri / November 25, 2006 9:05 AM PST

Please help walk me through my discovery...LOL. I did create another template I guess. It was created today???? I guess when I went in loooking for normal.dot......anyway. I right-clicked the icon and clicked on "open containing folder" and I got Word without going into safe mode. For me get to find the Word Icon, I had to do the search...Now my question is: How do I move it? You said to "rename it? This was a "hidden folder"

I hope I am making sense...Thanks.

gerri

Collapse -
AND MORE... I'm THRILLED NOW
by gerri / November 25, 2006 9:15 AM PST

It's all coming back to me... I was ALWAYS creating new templates by accident when I was using WORD back years ago. This is what must have happened because now it seem to be working fine..so far.

I thank you for your time and patience. I still get confused because I haven't used Word or Excel in a long time...

I STILL don't know HOW or WHY this happened....If you don't mind could you brief me on how I got into this mess.!!

Thank,
gerri

Collapse -
Glad to read you solved it.
by Kees Bakker / November 26, 2006 2:56 AM PST

But, sorry, I can't tell you what caused nor why it is solved by what you did. Count yourself lucky anyway.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks...
by gerri / November 26, 2006 3:34 AM PST

I really do appreciate your help and working with me on this. I do remember when I was working a few years ago, I would often run into this same problem -- but it never jumped into safe mode.

Once I worked through it...it jogged my memory.....

Thanks...you guys here are always helpful..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.