Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Microsoft Word Cut-copy-paste-feature not working

by raddman / January 24, 2007 7:05 AM PST

Hi I have Microsoft Works Suite 2002...I can't paste anything into words...It just started a few weeks ago when I tried to paste something I don't get the highlighted paste feature...I can cut, copy and paste things from/within there but not from the outside to there...I have tried a fresh install and it does the same thing...I have no problems doing this anywhere else...Windows XP home

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Microsoft Word Cut-copy-paste-feature not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Microsoft Word Cut-copy-paste-feature not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by tomron / January 24, 2007 11:27 AM PST

Click HERE for a possible solution.

Tom

Collapse -
Thanks Tom
by raddman / January 24, 2007 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: Try this

That works...I appreciate the help!

Collapse -
(NT) Your welcome,thanx for posting back
by tomron / January 24, 2007 2:05 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Tom
Collapse -
Close, but different
by kwikwater / January 27, 2007 1:18 AM PST

I'm glad to see this thread, as I was at a loss on where to start looking!!
My dilemma is I can't copy/paste from a Yahoo mail into a Word document or Word as editor Outlook email. In the case of email, it locks up that document, but not the application. I can End Task on just the offensive email, but it leaves Outlook running. The above trick of starting the document before copy didn't work.

Outlook 2002, SP3; XP Pro; Office Pro 2002; Word 2002

Thanks,
Kelvin

Collapse -
Kelvin, Did You Try?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 27, 2007 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Close, but different

Because some webpages don't allow a RIGHT click copy/paste, try highlighting the section you want to copy, then press "Ctrl-C" (at the same time) on your keyboard to copy the selected text.. Now use your cursor to click once in the area where you want to paste, then press "Ctrl-V" to paste the text..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
it's the paste
by kwikwater / January 27, 2007 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Kelvin, Did You Try?

It's the paste that is the problem. I've played with it some more. It's only from the text of a Yahoo email that won't paste into a Word document. It Selects just fine from the Yahoo email. That same text will paste into Excel, PowerPoint & Access, just not Word or Word related. Text taken from the Inbox list of mail will copy/paste into Word. It's just anything from the body of the letters that won't paste.

KW

Collapse -
More combinations
by kwikwater / January 27, 2007 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: it's the paste

I've also tried the keystroke commands and those from the Edit Pulldowns. Same result. No pasting..... Also, it is related to Word. The problem goes away if you remove "Word as the editor" from Outlook. I've also tested that it's not related to the HTML or Rich text settings....

KW

Collapse -
I Can't Paste from Yahoo! Mail either...
by maljazur / February 18, 2007 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: More combinations

It appears that the previous post in this thread suggested that a solution lay in adjusting the settings in Outlook. Am I correct? It didn't make sense to me because I never use Outlook and I never had this problem until recently. I'll try to find the "Word as the Editor" feature in Outlook and see if that helps. By the way, thanks for the suggestion!
In the meantime, any explanation/additional suggestion for this annoying problem is anxiously awaited!

Collapse -
MS word 2002 --copy and paste function not working
by jgk--2008 / July 17, 2008 2:18 AM PDT

Not sure if anyone answered this issue but I am having teh same problem. I have MS Word 02 XP pro.

Can copy and paste within Word but cant copy from the outside into word eg from an email.
It just started happening. I was happily doing it for years...did I press some weird key combo?

Can anyone help?

JK

Collapse -
Re: Cannot paste into Word
by Kees Bakker / July 17, 2008 5:30 PM PDT

Did you try all the existing solutions in this thread?

- And are you sure you can't paste at all? Can you try a Notepad file as a source. That's the most simple one available.
- What happens if make a new Windows XP account and try it there? That would point to a problem in your account, not in MS Word per se.

Kees

Collapse -
LOST TASKBAR icon
by mcmillan968 / January 27, 2007 3:14 AM PST

I just put in a new motherboard and lost the icon in the task bar to open desktop.It was located right next to the start button.Its a bear not having it,
HOW DO I GET IT BACK???
ANY HELP APPRECIATED
Neil

Collapse -
Display Desktop
by kwikwater / January 27, 2007 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: LOST TASKBAR icon

try the keystroke shortcut. Hold the "microsoft flag" key and press m. It's the keystroke for "Minimize all"

KW

Collapse -
Instructions from my brother... ;)
by glenn30 / January 27, 2007 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: LOST TASKBAR icon

The following instructions worked for me:

"Restore Show Desktop Icon to Quick Launch on Taskbar
If the Show Desktop icon is deleted from Quick Launch, the procedure below will recreate the file.

Open Notepad and enter the following text:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Save the new file as Show Desktop.scf then drag and drop the icon on the Quick Launch bar or whatever location you want the shortcut to appear."

Hope this helps and works for you!

Glenn

Collapse -
For accuracy I suggest...
by glenn30 / January 27, 2007 4:54 AM PST

Copy and Paste the portion that is to be typed in Notepad:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Glenn

Collapse -
for accuracy I SUGGEST
by mcmillan968 / January 27, 2007 6:16 AM PST

GLEN!!!!
OK those are command sequences putting them in NOTEPAD wont send them anywhere is that a open run an type there???
The Coimmand looks right just where do you put them??
SRRY for noob answer
Neil

Collapse -
Neil... your are not reading my first post above
by glenn30 / January 27, 2007 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: for accuracy I SUGGEST

It tells you the file name to save it too and what to do with it.

"Save the new file as Show Desktop.scf then drag and drop the icon on the Quick Launch bar or whatever location you want the shortcut to appear."

Been a while since I did this but it does work!

Glenn

Collapse -
for accuracy I SUGGEST
by mcmillan968 / January 27, 2007 10:43 AM PST

THANK YOU for your help you are what makes this a great site!!
Neil

Collapse -
You're welcome, Neil!
by glenn30 / January 27, 2007 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: for accuracy I SUGGEST

Seldom I get such compliments! Grin That little "Show Desktop" in in the Quick Launch Tray is indispensable for me. Wink

Glenn

Collapse -
Lost task bar icon
by mcmillan968 / February 22, 2007 9:35 AM PST

Although I got great suggestions and they worked!!!
The real answer here for XP or Vista is to click start,Settings slide down open task bar menu and under start bar menu make sure quick launch is checked click apply ok you are DONE.
I don't know why I missed it earlier but -------------
Neil

Collapse -
You don't always have to copy and paste into word.
by Maddogmcree / July 17, 2008 7:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Lost task bar icon

There are many .pdf writers out there which you can just use to easily convert the website into .pdf.

No more worrying about copy and pasting Happy

Collapse -
RE: Microsoft Word Cut-copy-paste-feature not working
by bryanh36 / August 20, 2008 9:04 AM PDT

Remove Windows Update: KB954464 - This is of course your choice but it will correct the problem, I suppose it re-opens the potential security risk that this update is designed to eliminate...

Collapse -
back to the subject
by tuan anh 123 / December 12, 2009 9:45 PM PST

my copy isn't working on anything!!!
and i don't even have microsoft office

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.